Hiawatha Bike Trail on E-Bikes ! Himiway,Tadpole and recumbent.

My two brothers (all retired) and I (WG7D) did the Hiawatha trail on our electric bikes. Mine is a Himiway cruiser, My brother Dan's is a Utah bike Tadpole type trike and brother Terry's is a built-up (motor kit) recumbent. It was a FUN day and a great ride, highly recommended !

Yes it’s a great ride! I went both directions on my specialized Vado. in the very first tunnel is the border between Idaho and mont. there is a nice sign, but easy to miss if you are not looking for it, or don’t have a bright light. Makes a great picture spot.

I did this ride a couple years ago on a regular non-assist bike. It isn't a long ride and no steep sections. On the way back my headlamp broke (gave off a little light) so riding through the 1.5 mile tunnel in virtual blackness was interesting - I can see how riders without a good light can get disoriented and crash in the tunnel.
Last fall I rode the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene ~60 miles from a Heyburn state park near Plummer to Wallace, spent the night in Wallace then rode back the next day. It isn't a spectacular ride but if you're in the area it is worthwhile. I did that ride on a regular non-assist bike too but most bikes that I saw on the trail were ebikes.

I did this ride a couple years ago on a regular non-assist bike. It isn't a long ride and no steep sections. On the way back my headlamp broke (gave off a little light) so riding through the 1.5 mile tunnel in virtual blackness was interesting - I can see how riders without a good light can get disoriented and crash in the tunnel.
Last fall I rode the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene ~60 miles from a Heyburn state park near Plummer to Wallace, spent the night in Wallace then rode back the next day. It isn't a spectacular ride but if you're in the area it is worthwhile. I did that ride on a regular non-assist bike too but most bikes that I saw on the trail were ebikes.
thanks,We plan on going back in Sept. and doing the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene. Maybe not so hot that time of year, I hope. Take care.

Yes it’s a great ride! I went both directions on my specialized Vado. in the very first tunnel is the border between Idaho and mont. there is a nice sign, but easy to miss if you are not looking for it, or don’t have a bright light. Makes a great picture spot.
Yes,quite a long tunnel,a little muddy so fenders are nice. Take care

thanks,We plan on going back in Sept. and doing the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene. Maybe not so hot that time of year, I hope. Take care.
I rode it the last week in September it was cold at night but comfortable temps during the day. Have fun and hope you get to see moose, I didn't.

I rode the CdA last year around sept 1,2. The east end was over 100 degrees. It was awful. Long stretch w no shade. The west end around the lake a few days earlier was enjoyable, and a much nicer ride scenery wise. It’s a lovely trail.

@WG7D: That was the best video I've ever seen of the Hiawatha Trail, thank you for sharing! I'm a Mid Atlantic East Coaster, but that ride is on my list of must-things-to-do.

The Milwaukee Road railroad was the last to trailblaze a transcontinental railroad from Chicago to the west coast. All of the routes with the least or less severe amount of climbs in elevation were already taken by railroads like James J Hill's Great Northern or the Union Pacific. That helps explain why the Burlington Northern Santa Fe and Union Pacific survive and thrive today, while the Milwaukee Road went bankrupt and closed in the 1980's. But they sure left behind a legacy in the Hiawatha!

Back