Hi fromChicago

RITIREDVET

Just retired about a year ago and enjoying the "easy life".Been riding motorcycles almost
all my life and wanted to try something in the form of an e-bike.A couple of months ago
I rented a trek xm700+ from my local bike shop and was amazingly surprised at the power
and handling of this bike.
I've done a fair amount of research on the subject of e-bikes and think the xm700+ is one
of the best buys for the money.So this spring I'll probably be getting one and looking forward
to a summer of riding along lake michigan and other cool areas.
It will never replace a motorcycle for me,but for those days i want to get off the beaten path
it's a great alternative.Here's to a great summer of riding.
Ron

Hi Ron,
Totally agree, trek xm700+ amazing bike! Fast, good range, and bullet proof Bosch reliability. I would not wait till spring though, there are super deals right now with 2016 inventory clearance bikes. I would look at the Haibike trekking S Rx. Very similar specs to the trek xm700+ plus rack and fenders. If your looking for the best buys for the money? A few online shops are running sales now.

Gary (aka Woodeshoe)

Just retired about a year ago and enjoying the "easy life".Been riding motorcycles almost
all my life and wanted to try something in the form of an e-bike.A couple of months ago
I rented a trek xm700+ from my local bike shop and was amazingly surprised at the power
I've done a fair amount of research on the subject of e-bikes and think the xm700+ is one
of the best buys for the money.So this spring I'll probably be getting one and looking forward
It will never replace a motorcycle for me,but for those days i want to get off the beaten path
Ron

Hi Ron,
Totally agree, trek xm700+ amazing bike! Fast, good range, and bullet proof Bosch reliability. I would not wait till spring though, there are super deals right now with 2016 inventory clearance bikes. I would look at the Haibike trekking S Rx. Very similar specs to the trek xm700+ plus rack and fenders. If your looking for the best buys for the money? A few online shops are running sales now.

Gary (aka Woodeshoe)
Hi Gary,
I read the reviews on the haibike and your right it sounds like the specs are very close,
but I think I'm going with the xm700+ because there's a dealer near my house and also
the great customer support that trek offers.I also have a non-electric trek that has given
me great service.Thanks for the heads up.
Ron

Ron
Hello Ron-

I also live in Chicago and have been doing the trails on my Trek 7000 all aluminum (built in Wisconsin) for over 20 years. I have been pricing ebikes and I am confused about some of the restrictions about ebikes on local bike trails. Do you ride an ebike on the Lakefront path or the North Branch Trail? If so, is there any risks related to being ticketed by local law enforcement?

BTW-The NBT was just expanded and stretches into the Forest Glen FPD. Great trail for riding clear up to Chicago Botanical Gardens! Thanks!

Hello Ron-

I also live in Chicago and have been doing the trails on my Trek 7000 all aluminum (built in Wisconsin) for over 20 years. I have been pricing ebikes and I am confused about some of the restrictions about ebikes on local bike trails. Do you ride an ebike on the Lakefront path or the North Branch Trail? If so, is there any risks related to being ticketed by local law enforcement?

BTW-The NBT was just expanded and stretches into the Forest Glen FPD. Great trail for riding clear up to Chicago Botanical Gardens! Thanks!
Hi Bob,
Good question,since I confine all my downtown riding to the lake front I really don't know.
I contacted my LBS and they told me they were not aware of any such restrictions at the current
time,but as electrics get to be more popular this may change(lets hope not).
Good luck with your electric bike search.I found this is getting more difficult as time goes by
with all the great bikes coming to market.
Ron

Hi Bob,
Good question,since I confine all my downtown riding to the lake front I really don't know.
I contacted my LBS and they told me they were not aware of any such restrictions at the current
Good luck with your electric bike search.I found this is getting more difficult as time goes by
Ron
Thanks Ron!

The XM700+ was one of my top choices back when I was doing my research and before I settled on the Riese and Muller. Lots of reasons to buy the XM700+ (good dealer network, good quality bikes, Bosch system...)...

Regarding R&M, I was going to post a poll under the R&M forums but maybe its appropriate here: I was curious as to what folks think of their Roadster? When I first started looking at R&M, this is the bike I was most interested in. It seemed like it was a very similar geometry to the XM700+. Also similar geometry to my Spot regular bike which I was thinking I wanted to replicate in an e-bike. Also similar price range as the XM700+. Not sure if R&M has any Chicago area dealers yet:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The XM700+ was one of my top choices back when I was doing my research and before I settled on the Riese and Muller. Lots of reasons to buy the XM700+ (good dealer network, good quality bikes, Bosch system...)...

Regarding R&M, I was going to post a poll under the R&M forums but maybe its appropriate here: I was curious as to what folks think of their Roadster? When I first started looking at R&M, this is the bike I was most interested in. It seemed like it was a very similar geometry to the XM700+. Also similar geometry to my Spot regular bike which I was thinking I wanted to replicate in an e-bike. Also similar price range as the XM700+. Not sure if R&M has any Chicago area dealers yet:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
The roadster is a great looking bike,your right almost like the Trek xm700+.
I looked up dealers,there's quite a few in calif. and one in New York but nothing
near Chicago.Before you bought the R&M did you test ride the Trek?If so how did
they compare?If there was a dealer close to me I would be very interested.
Thanks for the heads up.
Ron

...Before you bought the R&M did you test ride the Trek?If so how did
they compare?
I rode the large XM700+ (55) at my local dealer. It felt too tall for me in standover height. Then at the e-bike expo in Wash DC I rode the medium (50) and it felt too small particularly in reach. My Spot Champa regular bike has similar geometry and it is a 52. So I really felt like I was in between the sizes that Trek offers. Now of course in test rides you can't do much to adjust the fit of the bike so could well be that one of those sizes would have been fine for me after tweaking the fit. The other thing I noticed is that the front suspension was a bit too bouncy for my tastes - but that is probably adjustable.

I haven't seen the Roadster in person and I haven't tried it. When I tested out my R&M Charger at Propel in Brooklyn they hadn't yet ordered any Roadsters. I'd be curious to hear if Chris has had any customers express interest yet. I also think it would be interesting if someone more knowledgeable than I could do a comparison of the components to see how they align (given the similar price point). The obvious difference is the front suspension. I don't know enough about the drive train components to make a comparison. Hopefully the Chicago area will have a R&M dealer signed up this year.

Hi Bob,
Ron
I have an XM 700+ and it is a great bike. I had to replace the tires because they use a soft rubber for traction and in my experience it doesn't work in the winter with the small gravel they put on roads were I live. I had 3 flats in the first 250 miles. My new tires are also from Schwalbe and ebike ready, but use a much harder rubber and should work better for me.

There is reason to think about the 28 mph level of support. Most states (the electricbikereview.com has some links to this) have a 20 mph restriction on all paths or at least specified paths. Technically, the XM700+ 28 mph level of support is in violation. However, I doubt police don't have anything better to do then to stop you, look up your specific bike to see what it allows, and give you a violation. If you don't go over 15 mph on bike paths, I doubt this will be an issue.

The XM700+ is ideal for what you want to do. After awhile you might want to do more and the bike will be able to handle road rides of up to 50-60 miles. You may or may not ever want to do this, but this bike can handle it.

I have an XM 700+ and it is a great bike. I had to replace the tires because they use a soft rubber for traction and in my experience it doesn't work in the winter with the small gravel they put on roads were I live. I had 3 flats in the first 250 miles. My new tires are also from Schwalbe and ebike ready, but use a much harder rubber and should work better for me.

There is reason to think about the 28 mph level of support. Most states (the electricbikereview.com has some links to this) have a 20 mph restriction on all paths or at least specified paths. Technically, the XM700+ 28 mph level of support is in violation. However, I doubt police don't have anything better to do then to stop you, look up your specific bike to see what it allows, and give you a violation. If you don't go over 15 mph on bike paths, I doubt this will be an issue.

The XM700+ is ideal for what you want to do. After awhile you might want to do more and the bike will be able to handle road rides of up to 50-60 miles. You may or may not ever want to do this, but this bike can handle it.

Hi Alan-
Good point. Officers can have a checklist on hand and see the max speed of your ebike and bingo, you are so busted! LOL Yeah, I have not come across anyone on this forum that has been cited for ebike trail riding as of this writing.
BTW-Your XM700 is an awesome bike. I checked the specs and components and they all look top notch (the front headlight must be incredible on a pitch dark pathway). Not sure if the smallest size would fit my small inseam though! Thanks Alan. :D

I rode the large XM700+ (55) at my local dealer. It felt too tall for me in standover height. Then at the e-bike expo in Wash DC I rode the medium (50) and it felt too small particularly in reach. My Spot Champa regular bike has similar geometry and it is a 52. So I really felt like I was in between the sizes that Trek offers. Now of course in test rides you can't do much to adjust the fit of the bike so could well be that one of those sizes would have been fine for me after tweaking the fit. The other thing I noticed is that the front suspension was a bit too bouncy for my tastes - but that is probably adjustable.

I haven't seen the Roadster in person and I haven't tried it. When I tested out my R&M Charger at Propel in Brooklyn they hadn't yet ordered any Roadsters. I'd be curious to hear if Chris has had any customers express interest yet. I also think it would be interesting if someone more knowledgeable than I could do a comparison of the components to see how they align (given the similar price point). The obvious difference is the front suspension. I don't know enough about the drive train components to make a comparison. Hopefully the Chicago area will have a R&M dealer signed up this year.
Thanks @Over50 and welcome to the forum @RITIREDVET I'm technically a retired Vet as well, but I retired at 25 due to injuries. The Roadster is similar specs to the XM700+, but it sounds like you have a good thing going there with a dealer nearby that is into supporting ebikes. Not everyone is so lucky. The Roadster is one of R&M's most popular models, but we haven't brought it in yet. I think it will do well for us, but we're just making space and figuring out the right mix of their demo bikes. Let me know if I can be helpful.

Born and raised in Chicago myself, glad to know the Chicago eBike community is growing! So far I have not seen any other eBikes on the city roads where I ride, to work mostly as well as recreational northside chicago. I have also cruised in oak park illinois which is pretty bike friendly :)

I have seen a few mopeds and diy gas kit bicycles still and I used to think they were so cool, (actually still think they are cool :) ) but riding near them I noticed how loud and smelly those are compared to eBikes lol

anyway I digress, happy hunting for the right eBike for you and hopefully you get it soon as Chicago has many great bicycle events coming up for anyone wanting to visit Chicago, for example bike the drive and late ride!

Look forward to seeing what eBike you get!

Take care, ride safe!
Marc V

I rode the large XM700+ (55) at my local dealer. It felt too tall for me in standover height. Then at the e-bike expo in Wash DC I rode the medium (50) and it felt too small particularly in reach. My Spot Champa regular bike has similar geometry and it is a 52. So I really felt like I was in between the sizes that Trek offers. Now of course in test rides you can't do and very much to adjust the fit of the bike so could well be that one of those sizes would have been fine for me after tweaking the fit. The other thing I noticed is that the front suspension was a bit too bouncy for my tastes - but that is probably adjustable.

Your right about the size difference when sitting on the Trek xm700+ compared to sitting on a similarly sized non-electric.
I have a Trek 7.4 non- electric w/ a 51cm frame and seems way smaller than a 50cm xm700+.Must be the ergonomics at work here.
As I'm getting close to getting a electric,coupled w/ the fact that R&M doesn't look like they are coming to Chicago in the near future
I'm probably going to go with the xm700+.I have had very good luck with Treks in the past and I think they have a great dealer network.
I was hoping to hold off on buying one until the e-bike expo comes to Chicago,but I'm hearing sometime in august which would be too late
to get one and still enjoy the bulk of the riding season.I also rented a xm700+ last year and was very impressed with the overall product and the
dealer is also going to knock off the price of renting the bike if I buy one.

Your right about the size difference when sitting on the Trek xm700+ compared to sitting on a similarly sized non-electric.
I have a Trek 7.4 non- electric w/ a 51cm frame and seems way smaller than a 50cm xm700+.Must be the ergonomics at work here.
As I'm getting close to getting a electric,coupled w/ the fact that R&M doesn't look like they are coming to Chicago in the near future
I'm probably going to go with the xm700+.I have had very good luck with Treks in the past and I think they have a great dealer network.
I was hoping to hold off on buying one until the e-bike expo comes to Chicago,but I'm hearing sometime in august which would be too late
to get one and still enjoy the bulk of the riding season.I also rented a xm700+ last year and was very impressed with the overall product and the
dealer is also going to knock off the price of renting the bike if I buy one.
Hi Ron-

Did you rent the xm700+ in Chicago? If so, can you tell me the name of the shop? Thanks in advance!

Hi Ron-

Did you rent the xm700+ in Chicago? If so, can you tell me the name of the shop? Thanks in advance!
Hi Bob,
Actually rented it from Goodspeed cycles in Homewood,Il.Thats in the south suburbs.
Great place to buy and do business with.If you buy from them they provide a free check-up
every spring or any other time.Hope this helps.
Ron

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the heads up about the tires,I read that from other people on EBR also.
I agree with you about the restrictions,since it looks like a regular bicycle and if you
don't pass people like they are standing still there should be no problem and this will
make it better for everybody that owns electrics in the future.

Your right Alan,you don't have to sell me on the xm700+,since I have been on EBR I have been
doing a lot of research and for what it is and what it does I think it's one of the best electrics for the money.
Ride safe
Ron

Thanks @Over50 and welcome to the forum @RITIREDVET I'm technically a retired Vet as well, but I retired at 25 due to injuries. The Roadster is similar specs to the XM700+, but it sounds like you have a good thing going there with a dealer nearby that is into supporting ebikes. Not everyone is so lucky. The Roadster is one of R&M's most popular models, but we haven't brought it in yet. I think it will do well for us, but we're just making space and figuring out the right mix of their demo bikes. Let me know if I can be helpful.
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the welcome and also for your service.If lived in the area I would stop in and say Hey.
Seen you on a couple of bike video's,your doing a great job promoting and supporting the e-bike industry.
Ron

Back