Hi all! I'm new here and to ebikes and I need some help.....

Which one?

• Total voters

Ridin222

My name is Tasha and I'm in search of an ebike. I've been researching all there is to know (it seems) and I still cannot make up my mind on what bike to purchase. I need to pull the trigger on one soon as shipping times are already pushed out to Sept/Oct at this point. Blah. I've been going through some health issues here and there and am having a few procedures done, but will be fully healed by mid September, hence I would like to have the bike all ready to go by then. I want to ride for health, mainly; weight loss, fresh air, stress relief, exploring, etc. I live in the Bay Area, where we do have some trails (slight gravel and dirt), as well as the beach being only 45 mins away. We also like to travel to LA and Tahoe and I would like to bring the bike at times (I know I will need to buy a bike rack for transport). I am 5'4" (important for standover height) and weigh 225lbs. I am looking for a fat tire or mountain bike with semi-fat tires. I was going to get the RadRover 5, but then decided to go for the Bolton Blackbird 2020 as it had all the upgrades I would do to the RadRover 5 for only $700 more. But when I went to checkout, the Bolton Blackbird 2020 sold out. They won't be getting any more until Oct/Nov. I was bummed! So now I am back to square one and and am yet again stuck between the RadRover 5, Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S, Sondors MXS, Biktrix Juggernaut Classic or HD. Out of these, what is my BEST option for the price? I can go up to $2500, though prefer to stay at or under $2000 if possible. I want/need this bike to last me a good few years if not more, hence why the higher amount I am willing to spend. I want a 'true' 750 motor if not more, speed between 25-30, good suspension, good brakes, head and tail lights, a rear rack and fenders. I'm not sure about cadence vs torque sensors. I DO want some exercise (the whole point of buying the bike), so I think cadence may be best? I just don't want 100% help with pedaling, but it would be nice when needed (torque?). I have read reviews and watched YT videos all day, every day it seems, but I feel actually talking to other owners will do me good in finally narrowing it down and making a choice. So, here I am. =) Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
Welcome to EBR, Tasha.

Due to to Covid-19, the bigget issue will be availability of inventory... many retailers are sold out.
Take a look at the Best EBikes of 2020 to narrow down your style, features and price point. ;)

Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1053 electric bicycles.
EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Reviewing electric bikes is all we do.
Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.

Table of Contents:

Last edited:
Welcome to EBR, Tasha.

Due to to Covid-19, the bigget issue will be availability of inventory... many retailers are sold out.
Take a look at the Best EBikes of 2020 to narrow down your style, features and price point. ;)

Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1053 electric bicycles. EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Reviewing electric bikes is all we do. Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.

Table of Contents:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Trust me, I've been through all the links and reviews listed. I just want to now start speaking with and getting reviews from people on here who have the bikes mentioned and see what one will (hopefully) fit my needs. Maybe there's another female/male out there my age, height, weight, health issues and overall ebike needs that can give me some more personalized reviews.

Best,
Tasha

Have you checked through the forums for the bikes you're looking at? Most of them have threads regarding known issues with the bikes, and many owners providing their thoughts on their bikes...

Others may disagree, but I feel that you can’t really expect a quality ebike with good quality components for less than $3k MSRP. Most of the bikes you listed are hub drive motors with cadence sensors. If you want the natural and linear assist, you will need to get an ebike with mid-drive motor. Some of the more affordable middrives use Bafang M600 or the M620 (Ultra). However, with the jerky boost along with delayed response, it probably isn’t the best for exercise minded individuals. You can buy a Watt Wagon with the much improved custom controller, but that would double your current budget.

My recommendation is to look for ebike with Bosch, Yamah, or Brose motors. None of these offer throttle, but they are well known for very refined torque sensing motors. You can monitor Crazy Lenny’s for some demo deals or bicycle blue book. They often have 1-2 year old $4000 bike demos (under 100 miles) in the $2-3k range.

Why don't you just get a Rad Rover and get the 750W motor, 35A controller and 52V battery from Bolton?

The Bolton Blackbird is better than stock Rad Rover, but it comes with 25A controller instead of 35A and also has a bit lower battery capacity.
Hi,

Thanks for commenting.

Yes I have thought about that actually as I have seen a ton of YT videos of Rad owners doing just this; upgrading using the Bolton parts. I would also change out the bike saddle, add a suspension seat post, maybe even change out the brakes and suspension fork. With all that though, the price shoots way up, unless I find some amazing deals online. That is why the Bolton Blackbird would have been perfect as all the upgrades were included. Oh well. So far, the RadRover 5, Sonders MXS and Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S are my top 3 to choose from.

Best,
Tasha

Have you checked through the forums for the bikes you're looking at? Most of them have threads regarding known issues with the bikes, and many owners providing their thoughts on their bikes...
Hi,

Thanks.

Yes I have. I read and read and read and read, plus watched YT videos galore before I even joined EBR. I now just want personal opinions on the choices I've narrowed it down to and the plus/negative to each. I am hoping to find someone similar to me that owns one of the mentioned bikes so I can finally pull the trigger and get something ordered. This is a BIG purchase, so being 100% about it is crucial.

Best,
Tasha

Are you completely sure you want a fat tire?

1. You pay a price rolling that big tire.
2. If you could expand your search to mountain bikes or hybrid you open a lot of option. A lot of mountain bikes come with 27.5 x 2.6 tires which handle offroading just fine and roll easier on tar.

My name is Tasha. I live in the Bay Area. I am in search of an ebike. I've been researching all there is to know (it seems) and I still cannot make up my mind on what bike to purchase. I need to pull the trigger on one soon as shipping times are already pushed out to Sept/Oct at this point. Not good. I've been going through some health issues here and there and am having a few procedures done, but will be fully healed by mid September, hence I would like to have the bike all ready by then. I want to ride for health, mainly; weight loss, fresh air, stress relief, exploring, etc. We do have some trails (slight gravel and dirt) in my home area, as well as the beach being only 45 mins away. We also travel to LA and Tahoe and I would like to bring the bike at times (I know I will need a bike rack as these things range from 55lbs-100lbs). I am 5'4" (important for standover height) and weigh 225lbs. I am looking for a fat tire bike. I was going to get the RadRover 5, but then decided to go for the Bolton Blackbird 2020 as it had all the upgrades I would do to the RadRover 5 for only $700 more. But when I went to checkout, the Bolton Blackbird 2020 sold out. They won't be getting any more until Oct/Nov. I was bummed! So now I am back to square one and and am yet again stuck between the RadRover 5, Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S, Sondors XS Special Edition or the Sondors MXS, Ride1Up 700. Out of these, what is my BEST option for the price? I can go up to $2500, though prefer to stay at or under $2000 if possible. I want/need this bike to last me a good few years if not more, hence why the higher amount I am willing to spend. I want a 'true' 750 motor if not more, speed between 25-35, good suspension, good brakes, head and tail lights, a rear rack, fenders. I'm not sure about cadence vs torque sensors as I DO want some exercise (the whole point of buying the bike) and don't want 100% help, but the help (torque) would be nice when needed. I can read reviews and watch YT videos all day (which I've been doing), but I feel actually talking to other owners will do me good in actually making a choice. So, here I am. =) Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you!
The speeds you are talking about 25-35... The top assisted speed capable permitted motors in the US are 28 mph, which would be what's known as a Class 3 bike.

Unfortunately, Class 3 bikes are prohibited on almost all trails, so you would not be able to ride many of the places you say you're interested in with such a bike.

You're going to need to either resign yourself to only road and possible beach riding, or move down to Class 1 or 2, with top assist speeds of 20 mph.

Why don't you just get a Rad Rover and get the 750W motor, 35A controller and 52V battery from Bolton?

The Bolton Blackbird is better than stock Rad Rover, but it comes with 25A controller instead of 35A and also has a bit lower battery capacity.
Motor, controller and display run around $450.

Replacing a new 48 volt battery with a new 52 V battery is overkill IMHO. Sure replace in a few years if and when the original dies.

Almost everything is back-ordered though (including upgrades) , I did hear from a neighbor (who purchased a fold-able fat bike) DJ bikes in Canada has a few models for immediate delivery.

Hi,

Thanks for commenting.

Yes I have thought about that actually as I have seen a ton of YT videos of Rad owners doing just this; upgrading using the Bolton parts. I would also change out the bike saddle, add a suspension seat post, maybe even change out the brakes and suspension fork. With all that though, the price shoots way up, unless I find some amazing deals online. That is why the Bolton Blackbird would have been perfect as all the upgrades were included. Oh well. So far, the RadRover 5, Sonders MXS and Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S are my top 3 to choose from.

Best,
Tasha

Hi Tasha

All good bikes, I own a Sondors myself, although they are probably all sold out, you should look at their new mid-drive units very economical for the motor they have on them.
DOST is another brand that is new but the owner knows his stuff, a little more money. My next Ebike will be a mid drive I just need more power for hills.
Also I would highly recommend getting a Ebike with a throttle regardless of brand, it's half the fun of owning a Ebike.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Trust me, I've been through all the links and reviews listed.
I just want to now start speaking with and getting reviews from people on here who have the bikes mentioned and see what one will (hopefully) fit my needs.
Maybe there's another female/male out there my age, height, weight, health issues, and overall ebike needs that can give me some more personalized reviews.

Best,
Tasha

Others may disagree, but I feel that you can’t really expect a quality ebike with good quality components for less than $3k MSRP. Most of the bikes you listed are hub drive motors with cadence sensors. If you want the natural and linear assist, you will need to get an ebike with mid-drive motor. Some of the more affordable mid drives use Bafang M600 or the M620 (Ultra). However, with the jerky boost along with delayed response, it probably isn’t the best for exercise minded individuals. You can buy a Watt Wagon with the much improved custom controller, but that would double your current budget.

My recommendation is to look for ebike with Bosch, Yamaha, or Brose motors. None of these offer throttle, but they are well known for very refined torque sensing motors. You can monitor Crazy Lenny’s for some demo deals or bicycle blue book. They often have 1-2 year old $4000 bike demos (under 100 miles) in the $2-3k range.

Tasha,

Glad to help... it sounds like you have done your research. Based on your poll choices, you might want to consider a demo bike that is currently available in stock.

Take a look at CL as another member has suggested... they have a nice Bosch mid-drive for under $2K. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Tasha

All good bikes, I own a Sondors myself, although they are probably all sold out, you should look at their new mid-drive units very economical for the motor they have on them.
DOST is another brand that is new but the owner knows his stuff, a little more money. My next Ebike will be a mid drive I just need more power for hills.
Also I would highly recommend getting a Ebike with a throttle regardless of brand, it's half the fun of owning a Ebike.
Hi,

Yea, I am liking Sondors more and more. But I've also heard not-so-great things about them. Then again, what reviews don't have some negative to them? I did look at the upcoming mid-drive bikes they have. The Rockstar looks awesome and will be $2500, the top of my budget. But they won't have them ready until January. Blah.

What Sondors do you have, and what do you like/not like about it?

Best,
Tasha

Hi,

Yea, I am liking Sondors more and more. But I've also heard not-so-great things about them. Then again, what reviews don't have some negative to them? I did look at the upcoming mid-drive bikes they have. The Rockstar looks awesome and will be $2500, the top of my budget. But they won't have them ready until January. Blah.

What Sondors do you have, and what do you like/not like about it?

Best,
Tasha

I have a Sondors Fold XS 20" fatty

What I like:

Price: Only $1699.
EBike is just fun
Throttle
Pretty comfortable ride, 4" wheels help.
Fold up-My vehicle was in for repair the other day so I took it with me and took it out and rode home, saved me a $16 cab fare.
Low stand over height with smaller 20" wheels
It's sharp everybody looks and admires it, mine is red.

Don't Like:

A beast at 70lbs, I can hardly lift it.
Not enough power for larger hills for me.
Knee's can hit center column at times as it's way wider than the average bike, but you naturally peddle in a V formation so it hasn't happened very often.

I think for most people their first Ebike they find out what they want verses what they need, if you have big hills in your area will need more power, then again I am 200lbs so it has to move 270 lbs up the hill.
If you are lighter, which I suspect you are ;) ........it might not be as big of an issue.
Court says he is 130 lbs so everything he tests will move better and faster for him than me.

Also the Sondors MXS full size bike has a 25 amp controller which means with the same motor it has more power than my bike, that guy is rated at 750W, but if you do the calculation it can channel 1200W, at $1699 it is also a deal. They have to say that to keep it legal in the US.

Last edited:
Of the bikes you posted the Rip Current is the best choice. I would also check out Biktrix as they specialize in Fat Bikes....... and as Timpo already posted you may want to try a fat bike with an HD Motor! Thats the rout I went and I have no regrets I believe the Biktrix HD is the best bang for your buck Fat Bike around, great bike great price and great customer service.

Last edited:
Of the bikes you posted the Rip Current is the best choice. I would also check out Biktrix as they specialize in Fat Bikes....... and as Timpo already posted you may want to try a fat bike with an HD Motor! Thats the rout I went and I have no regrets I believe the Biktrix HD is the best bang for your buck Fat Bike around, great bike great price and great customer service.
Hi,

Thanks for the comment. After reviewing, now I can add Biktrix to my list of choices. Haha! You mentioned the HD, but what do you think about the Juggernaut Classic?

Best,
Tasha

What I here of the Bay Area it is very hilly. If that is the case for your area I would recommend a mid-drive motor. Fat Bikes are great for the beach or snow but needless drag on your battery for the road or trail. A good suspension seat post and comfortable seat will cushion your ride.

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. After reviewing, now I can add Biktrix to my list of choices. Haha! You mentioned the HD, but what do you think about the Juggernaut Classic?

Best,
Classic is sweet! Along with all the Stunners but
I'm heavy and I like power so for me HD and Ultra would be first choice!

Classic is sweet! Along with all the Stunners but
I'm heavy and I like power so for me HD and Ultra would be first choice!
Hmmm. I didn't think of that really. I am 5'4" and weigh 225lbs. Does that make a lot of difference in the ride? I know there is a weight capacity of 275-300 on most ebikes.

Hmmm. I didn't think of that really. I am 5'4" and weigh 225lbs. Does that make a lot of difference in the ride? I know there is a weight capacity of 275-300 on most ebikes.
Yes weight makes a difference in motor performance, over 220lbs I would go for. one of the bigger motors,HD or Ultra,you never know how much additional baggage you might have to carry,it's good to have the extra power, the load capacity limit is more for how much the bike can hold safely without something snapping lol

Back