Hi all! I'm new here and to ebikes and I need some help.....

Which one?

• Total voters
Give some consideration to the Juiced Bikes Scorpion. It checks off a lot of your boxes. At 5'4", it would fit you like a glove, and you might like the step-through frame if your health issues involve any restrictions on range of motion. My wife borrows mine regularly and likes it a lot -- her main ride is a Pedego City Commuter. The only thing is that it is a couple hundred bucks over your $2000 limit. But there is so much to like about this bike. 52 volt system and a 25 amp controller provide plenty of power. The full suspension is remarkably comfortable over bumps. I like the upright posture better than the forward-lean so many bikes have; no pressure on wrists, elbows, or shoulders. I've been writing about it in the Juiced Bikes sub-forum if you'd like more insight.

I am a short person also, I do not believe you will find a generic mail order bike to fit your body. I had to try various frame sized to find a good fit. This will probably push you into a higher price range. This should result in a comfortable ride and you would ride more.

Good luck in your search and remember its you money, spend as you wish.

Pushing a 20" fat bike with a gross weight of around 300 pounds to 35mph will not be a possibility with any of your choses. Even 25mph will drain the battery in short order. Availability will be an issue with all of them.

My name is Tasha. I live in the Bay Area. I am in search of an ebike...

Hi! Fellow Bay Area rider chiming in (who also happens to be a shorty). Do you have your heart set on a fat bike? I'm not sure how hilly the areas you'll be riding in are but I know that I'd never go with a hub drive bike again. My first 2 ebikes were hub drive and they were always disappointing when it came to ascending hills. A powerful hub motor will still lag behind a 250W mid drive bike on hills since a mid drive bike can leverage the available gearing on a bike. If you don't "need" a fat tire bike, I'd probably go with the 2021 Motobecane Elite eAdventure with Shimano E5000. There's also a step thru frame available for this model. It's one of the most affordable factory mid drive bikes I know of with a quality branded motor. It has usable front suspension and you can always add a suspension seat post and perhaps fatter MTB tires after purchase.

The speeds you are talking about 25-35... The top assisted speed capable permitted motors in the US are 28 mph, which would be what's known as a Class 3 bike.

Unfortunately, Class 3 bikes are prohibited on almost all trails, so you would not be able to ride many of the places you say you're interested in with such a bike.

You're going to need to either resign yourself to only road and possible beach riding, or move down to Class 1 or 2, with top assist speeds of 20 mph.
There are some bikes you can program top speed and levels of assist. Practically speaking I do not think anyone is going to stop you on a trail based on bike class. Some trails or paths they do not want you to use throttle but your bike can still have one.

There are some bikes you can program top speed and levels of assist. Practically speaking I do not think anyone is going to stop you on a trail based on bike class. Some trails or paths they do not want you to use throttle but your bike can still have one.
Two other relatively cheap fat tire bikes that are easy to get on and off are Espin Nero and Electric XP. Top speeds 28 for both. The xp is foldable and they now have a step though model that would seem comfortable for your height. Both have throttles, which I think are important for quick starting. Both are solid and strong. Lectric says they have bikes shipping in August. As your first e bike I say get a sturdy versatile bike that is not too expensive. I have a cadence sensor and I think it works fine.

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. After reviewing, now I can add Biktrix to my list of choices. Haha! You mentioned the HD, but what do you think about the Juggernaut Classic?

Best,
Tasha
I considered the Classic. Cadence sensor based PAS mid-drive with the option for non-fat tires and other optional upgrades. They showed the crimson color in stock a few weeks back, but then it disappeared completely.

My name is Tasha and I'm in search of an ebike. I've been researching all there is to know (it seems) and I still cannot make up my mind on what bike to purchase. I need to pull the trigger on one soon as shipping times are already pushed out to Sept/Oct at this point. Blah. I've been going through some health issues here and there and am having a few procedures done, but will be fully healed by mid September, hence I would like to have the bike all ready to go by then. I want to ride for health, mainly; weight loss, fresh air, stress relief, exploring, etc. I live in the Bay Area, where we do have some trails (slight gravel and dirt), as well as the beach being only 45 mins away. We also like to travel to LA and Tahoe and I would like to bring the bike at times (I know I will need to buy a bike rack for transport). I am 5'4" (important for standover height) and weigh 225lbs. I am looking for a fat tire or mountain bike with semi-fat tires. I was going to get the RadRover 5, but then decided to go for the Bolton Blackbird 2020 as it had all the upgrades I would do to the RadRover 5 for only $700 more. But when I went to checkout, the Bolton Blackbird 2020 sold out. They won't be getting any more until Oct/Nov. I was bummed! So now I am back to square one and and am yet again stuck between the RadRover 5, Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S, Sondors MXS, Biktrix Juggernaut Classic or HD. Out of these, what is my BEST option for the price? I can go up to $2500, though prefer to stay at or under $2000 if possible. I want/need this bike to last me a good few years if not more, hence why the higher amount I am willing to spend. I want a 'true' 750 motor if not more, speed between 25-30, good suspension, good brakes, head and tail lights, a rear rack and fenders. I'm not sure about cadence vs torque sensors. I DO want some exercise (the whole point of buying the bike), so I think cadence may be best? I just don't want 100% help with pedaling, but it would be nice when needed (torque?). I have read reviews and watched YT videos all day, every day it seems, but I feel actually talking to other owners will do me good in finally narrowing it down and making a choice. So, here I am. =) Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you!

My name is Tasha and I'm in search of an ebike. I've been researching all there is to know (it seems) and I still cannot make up my mind on what bike to purchase. I need to pull the trigger on one soon as shipping times are already pushed out to Sept/Oct at this point. Blah. I've been going through some health issues here and there and am having a few procedures done, but will be fully healed by mid September, hence I would like to have the bike all ready to go by then. I want to ride for health, mainly; weight loss, fresh air, stress relief, exploring, etc. I live in the Bay Area, where we do have some trails (slight gravel and dirt), as well as the beach being only 45 mins away. We also like to travel to LA and Tahoe and I would like to bring the bike at times (I know I will need to buy a bike rack for transport). I am 5'4" (important for standover height) and weigh 225lbs. I am looking for a fat tire or mountain bike with semi-fat tires. I was going to get the RadRover 5, but then decided to go for the Bolton Blackbird 2020 as it had all the upgrades I would do to the RadRover 5 for only $700 more. But when I went to checkout, the Bolton Blackbird 2020 sold out. They won't be getting any more until Oct/Nov. I was bummed! So now I am back to square one and and am yet again stuck between the RadRover 5, Juiced Bikes RipCurrent S, Sondors MXS, Biktrix Juggernaut Classic or HD. Out of these, what is my BEST option for the price? I can go up to $2500, though prefer to stay at or under $2000 if possible. I want/need this bike to last me a good few years if not more, hence why the higher amount I am willing to spend. I want a 'true' 750 motor if not more, speed between 25-30, good suspension, good brakes, head and tail lights, a rear rack and fenders. I'm not sure about cadence vs torque sensors. I DO want some exercise (the whole point of buying the bike), so I think cadence may be best? I just don't want 100% help with pedaling, but it would be nice when needed (torque?). I have read reviews and watched YT videos all day, every day it seems, but I feel actually talking to other owners will do me good in finally narrowing it down and making a choice. So, here I am. =) Any and all opinions are welcome. Thank you!

This site has a great information on what factors to consider https://ebikeexplorations.com and what e-bike to purchase - its really important you pick a bike that matches your use case and get a proper fitting bike and what to look for in terms of frame size, geometry and seat

Last edited:
Update: I am really, really leaning toward the Sondors MXS. It's the most decent all around one I've found that meets what I'm looking for. The different look (triangle battery) is sorta cool, too. I can get it with the fenders and rear rack $2147 (including shipping and tax). I wish it had lights and such, too, but I can always get some off Amazon of course. Other than Sondors, I really like the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic and HD. I can get the Classic with the same tire size as the MXS (27.5 x 3) with fenders, rear rack and light for $1994 with shipping and tax. The HD would be $2705, a big jump.

Update: I am really, really leaning toward the Sondors MXS. It's the most decent all around one I've found that meets what I'm looking for. The different look (triangle battery) is sorta cool, too. I can get it with the fenders and rear rack $2147 (including shipping and tax). I wish it had lights and such, too, but I can always get some off Amazon of course. Other than Sondors, I really like the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic and HD. I can get the Classic with the same tire size as the MXS (27.5 x 3) with fenders, rear rack and light for $1994 with shipping and tax. The HD would be $2705, a big jump.
That's a nice bike! So you'll be using it mainly on mountain bike trails? I missed that in your original post.

That's a nice bike! So you'll be using it mainly on mountain bike trails? I missed that in your original post.
Hi,

Well, we have some paved/gravel/dirt trails in my area, so mainly on those. And of course the streets to get there. But if I take the bike on trips, like to Tahoe, then yea, it would be more hill/woodsy like rides. But overall, it's mostly going to be an every day bike for fun, adventures, exercise (#1). I just like the mountain bike/fat tire bike look more, as well as the stability of them (based on reviews).

hey, have you been able to ride this bike- sondors mxs- and make sure you can stand over it
i think you are going to have trouble with standover height on some of these models
thinking the juiced bike has a couple of sizes but the others run around 18-19 inch frames???

believe some of these companies have lowered the top tubes a little since i rode any of them but at 5'4" i would try to test ride some
i am 5'6" and a lot these bikes i could not clear or barely clear
this just gets to be pia especially with 65lbs bikes to handle

most of these bikes will have facebook pages for owners and people will be willing to meet you and let you try the bike, this would be my first step, see if you can test ride your top three at least

on another comment
owning a bike with the shimano e5000 i would NOT get that motor for hills-- flats, low to medium short hills maybe but in shimano motors i would stick to at least the e6100 or higher

unless you ride a lot now my suggestion would be to stick with the bikes you are looking at with the 750 watt hub drives and throttle for when you need it over a lower powered euro mid drive
reason being is yes they can climb hills well but you have to put in a lot of the effort and halfway thru/end of the ride that can take a toll where the 750 watt hub drives and throttles can help you get back home until you build up more stamina

if you ride a lot and are a strong rider you might like the euro lower powered mid drives that climb well, they feel more bike like

other option is upping the budget some and getting the best of both worlds with a bafang ultra mid drive- more powerful and throttle

I would get the classic over the sonders,more torque and Biktrix has great Customer service where sonders barely has any customer service unless things have changed with them. Also sonders uses that a proprietary triangle battery pack on that bike, something I avoid with small companies, some proprietary parts can be a pain to track down if the companies goes belly up.

Last edited:
hey, have you been able to ride this bike- sondors mxs- and make sure you can stand over it
i think you are going to have trouble with standover height on some of these models
thinking the juiced bike has a couple of sizes but the others run around 18-19 inch frames???

believe some of these companies have lowered the top tubes a little since i rode any of them but at 5'4" i would try to test ride some
i am 5'6" and a lot these bikes i could not clear or barely clear
this just gets to be pia especially with 65lbs bikes to handle

most of these bikes will have facebook pages for owners and people will be willing to meet you and let you try the bike, this would be my first step, see if you can test ride your top three at least

on another comment
owning a bike with the shimano e5000 i would NOT get that motor for hills-- flats, low to medium short hills maybe but in shimano motors i would stick to at least the e6100 or higher

unless you ride a lot now my suggestion would be to stick with the bikes you are looking at with the 750 watt hub drives and throttle for when you need it over a lower powered euro mid drive
reason being is yes they can climb hills well but you have to put in a lot of the effort and halfway thru/end of the ride that can take a toll where the 750 watt hub drives and throttles can help you get back home until you build up more stamina

if you ride a lot and are a strong rider you might like the euro lower powered mid drives that climb well, they feel more bike like

other option is upping the budget some and getting the best of both worlds with a bafang ultra mid drive- more powerful and throttle
Hi, thank you.

Yes, I figured as much about the MXS after reviewing the standover height and measuring myself. Not gonna work. =( So now that's 3 down that I finally made my mind up on, but cannot buy. Oh well. On to the next. So, what bike(s) are you thinking for me, if any stand out?

Best,
Tasha

I considered the Classic. Cadence sensor based PAS mid-drive with the option for non-fat tires and other optional upgrades. They showed the crimson color in stock a few weeks back, but then it disappeared completely.
that Crimson looked sweet imo, i hope they use it on more models!

let me think on this today and write more tonite but what comes to mind is i "think" biktrix has a 24 inch bike dont they? not sure of motor

and you could move into the same brands with 20 inch fat tires
they dont roll quite a nice but they are a little more nimble, trade off like everything

other option is to try to find a euro mid drive, haibike, trek, specialized on sale- those bikes all come in sizes...

this one is available with 24x3 inch tires but they say street tires

might be worth calling or emailing roshan and talk to him

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and opinions. Sorry I haven't replied. I've been dealing with health stuff still (in/out of the hospital). I am doing OK now and am back to bike hunting. I've narrowed it down to the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic or HD. BUT, Bolton released a new step thru bike today that I want all your opinions on. https://boltonebikes.com/collections/ebikes/products/sabre?variant=32487966605359 Both bikes are similar in price. But spec wise, am I better off with one over the other? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Back