Here’s what happened when a country let people trade in old cars for electric bikes

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
I would love to see this program expanded to other countries to promote sustainable transportation! ;)

The program was developed by Lithuania‘s Environmental Project Management Agency (APVA), part of the country’s Ministry of Environment. The program began this summer with a budget of €8 million.
To qualify, citizens can apply for and then receive a subsidy of up to €1,000 (nearly US$1,200) for the purchase of a new electric bicycle, bicycle, e-scooter, e-moped, e-motorcycle or even public transportation credits, after exchanging their old vehicle, according to LRT. In fact, many of the older cars being traded in are worth less than €1,000, meaning their owners are already coming out ahead on the deal even before factoring in the additional savings on everything from car insurance to gasoline and parking permits.

Approximately US$1,200 can go a long way towards buying a brand new e-bike. In fact, we’ve reviewed several popular models of e-bikes in the US that can be purchased for that price or less. E-bikes such as the $1,199 RadRunner electric utility bike and the $899 Lectric XP folding e-bike have proven that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a legitimate car-replacing electric bicycle. So far the Lithuanian program has spent around 95% of its budget, but has already received an additional €3 million to keep the popular program running. As a spokeswoman for the APVA Austėja Jonaitytė explained:

“The initiative received a lot of attention from the population. The number of applications exceeded all expectations. For this reason, the Environment Ministry has allocated an additional 3 million euros from the Climate Change Program.”
1604257226035.png

Wow, what an interesting program and fabulous idea. Somebody should try this in the USA.
Wondering what’s their definition of a clunky. Does it need to be running?
Maybe we could raid the car junk yards and trade for some ebikes. Lol

Lithuania is about half the size of Illinois. The only way I see this working is in metropolitan areas, and then none of those with snow and ice. Going to be a long time before states and our Federal Government dig out of this Covid debt to fund programs like this.

I believe we have a similar thing up here. I read it somewhere.
Maybe it's just our province. I simply ignored it since I have nothing to trade in.

CN

Back