Here is what I am thinking about putting together...and yes I am new

Well, the out-of-pocket cost is $743. He already has the donor bike. which has disk brakes. He can convert them to hydraulics for $89.

There are 1500 DD motor kits for $100-150 less, but I would be leery of them. THere was a time (2015-2019) when one could buy the ebikeling motor for under $199, but it used more primitive connectors and had no display. That would be today's cheaper kits.

Having built more bikes than I care to count on my fingers. it's hard to build them for less than buying them, but you have to compare like for like. Taco Mac is not going to find something built that runs north of 30 mph for $999, if that is what he wants.
harryS,

I am concerned with the motor torque, do you think 5 mm torque bars will perform with the T6 Aluminum frame. I like to see how stuff runs kinda DYI besides I think this will be more hobby style.. I do not mind tinkering and tuning. Ebikeling seems to be middle of the road since its inception and reviews look good. I know this thread boarders on specific makers, but I want to hear options from everyone. Wouldn't moving some of this to another thread just to discuss specific of Ebikeling.

My direct drive hub will haul my 230lbs from a dead stop to 28-30mph in 8-10 seconds...
Not having ridden other ebikes, it seems pretty good to me.
This is coming from an old biker.
Rusty Dusty,

Love the bike, crazy cool!!How did you do it? What did you use?

I did my first kit build when there were no eBikes locally available in 2014. When I finally found a few to actually sit on I discovered there were no frames used that I preferred. Townie style flat foot frame eBikes were nonexistent. That original build, on a Trek Pure (flat foot like Townies). It's still my favorite ride. A Ninecontinent 1000W front direct drive.

These days there are more choices, but too many brands have created proprietary parts making self-support nearly impossible.
Thomas,

Would love to see more pics of the bike and experinces of what you did and what problems you have grown worked through and final result.what did you start with?

So do you only want the bike for errands to replace your car or do you want it for health purposes?
Steve,

Your on the mark, I want both looking for something to get my lungs back and get me around, I had COVID and it tore my lungs up and since then I have done a lot of walking, ,used to smoke cigarettes. my lungs are healing and i am getting more oxygen saturation. I can walk about a mile before I need to stop. Yeah...that bad...but **** happens, Saddle up and move on " you can either get busy livin or get busy diyin" great movie.

Thanks Taco Mac, I used a Voilamart 48v 1000w front hub kit, with a 48v 1000w 12ah battery and rack on the rear (weight distribution is good- albeit a little high...). Originally I built it on a Raleigh Sc7 that I inherited from my dad, then my wife gave me a Retrospec Chatham beach cruiser for Christmas to which I transferred the kit. I did add some "mid-rise" handlebars as I don't find the beach cruiser bars comfortable. All told, even with the cost of the new bike, it's around $850...
20210110_174259.jpg

I'm not making recommendations but here is my most recent ebike kit build finished last week. 48v 500W geared hub motor with 11-22a KT controller and KT display. I'm liking it so far. Smooth power delivery without lurching with PAS and has taken me up some steep hills with a lot of pedal effort from me but not in the lowest gears (middle front chainring, middle rear cog) where I'd barely (or not) be able to make the same ride without assist. Cost $280 for a pretty complete kit including torque arm, throttle, stick on brake motor cutoffs (so no need to change brake levers), bright front and rear lights, the controller bag.
20210201_105631.jpg

The controller is easy to program with the KT display which has good information. Here is the display on the lowest brightness setting
20210201_105936.jpg

I have a 48v 15ah/720wh battery advertised as having samsung cells and internal dividers, not glued for ~$220

Pictures don't show grade well but I took it up this road, ~3/4 mile with over 300ft elevation gain including flat sections up to the base of the trees in the picture near the house. The steepest area is difficult to walk up.
20210201_105437.jpg

It seems to do about as well on this bike as a Tongsheng 36v 500w mid drive that I installed on my wife's Dahon Briza which, in turn, does almost as well as my Yamaha powered gravel bike.
Here is my wife's bike with the Tongsheng which can make it from the base of the mountain (the ribbon of river to the left center of the picture) to here at near the top where I rode the bike above.
20201109_131951.jpg

In contrast a 36v 250w MXUS geared front hub motor that I've tried on a few bikes in the past is a useless anchor on these hills (but good on the flats to mild inclines where I don't want assist anyway).

Last edited:
Steve,

Your on the mark, I want both looking for something to get my lungs back and get me around, I had COVID and it tore my lungs up and since then I have done a lot of walking, ,used to smoke cigarettes. my lungs are healing and i am getting more oxygen saturation. I can walk about a mile before I need to stop. Yeah...that bad...but **** happens, Saddle up and move on " you can either get busy livin or get busy diyin" great movie.
Glad to hear you made it! You are the only person that I have spoken to who has survived it. So I am thinking perhaps a cargo style frame might suit you since you cannot use your car to haul stuff? On the other hand you could just pickup a used kids' trailer for trips to Costco.

Last edited:
Ebikeling geared 500W motor. KT-controller with LCD3 display. 48V UPP battery with Samsung GA cells. Built for bike path riding at 12 -14 mph. You could probably buy an Ancheer or find something on Walmart.com clearance for less than I eventually spent. For a long time, like over a year,, I ran it on a pair of $30 hoverboard batteries, and it was a $300 ebike. Then I bought the UPP pack so I could give it as a safer bike to a family memebr,

giveaway.jpg

EBIKELING 48V 1500W 26" Direct Drive Rear Waterproof eBike Bike Conversion Kit using a UPP Factory (US Warehouse) Triangle Ebike Battery - 48V/52V 20Ah Electric Bike Lithinum Battery Pack for 1800W/1500W/1000W/750W/500W Bafang Voilamart AW Ancheer and other ebikes. Mounted on a

Diamondback Axis XE Mountain Bike all replies, insights, good and bad welcome!​

Go for it !
I doubt you'll be sorry. And it's waterproof, a big difference from most.
You'll find more build references on the Endless Sphere forum

Don't get a triangle battery. Get a Hailong type 52V 20Ah and mount it to your frame. You will be happier. I know that the triangle is cheaper, but for the price difference, over the long run, you will be happier with your decision. You deserve it.
TTom@WashDC,

Thank you very much ac I dig into your ideas here. Ive come across a 52V 25AH 1500W Hailong Ebike Battery for $250 on Ebay. considerably cheaper. Here are some spec.
Normal Voltage: 52V
Rated Capacity:25AH
Battery size:360*90*110mm
Max Constant Discharge Current:30A
Peak current:60A
Charge voltage:58.9V
Discharge cut off voltage:39V
Way of Charge:CC/CV
Cycle Life:1000 times
Charge Temperature:-15-65℃
Discharge Temperature:-15-65℃
Protection Function:Over charge, Over discharge,Over current, Short circuit, Balance

My concern is what type of Lithium Ion are they using,. ,LCO, NMC, NCA,, what about the LTO battery.
Battery Model
LTO Packs 48V30Ah​
Voltage @ Capacity
48V @ 30Ah​
BMS/Balancer
Yes​
Communications protocol
Based on need​
Dimensions (mm)
485*200*130​
Max. Operating Voltage Range
32V to 56V​
Fast Charge Current
45A
Max. Protective Charge Current
80A​
Max. Continuous Discharge Current
80A​
Peak Discharge Current
150+ A
Charge Temperature Range
-40°C to +50°C​
Discharge Temperature Range
-45°C to +75°C​
Weight (g)
17kg±0.5kg​

What are your thoughts, they are using them in electric motorcycles why not ebikes and not that expensive.

I'm wondering what kind of riding you plan on doing with this bike? I ask as I made the mistake of building something similar, and I found it gutless when it comes to accelerating from a stop, and climbing larger hills with my 300lb butt aboard.

I ended up going with a 1000w gear driven rear hub, and not only gained a lot of performance at speeds under 20mph or so, I my battery charge lasted about 10 mile further. The 1500w hub drive would go an easy 25 miles, which I thought wasn't bad. I switched to the gear drive, and went to 35 miles with NO other ch

Don't get a triangle battery. Get a Hailong type 52V 20Ah and mount it to your frame. You will be happier. I know that the triangle is cheaper, but for the price difference, over the long run, you will be happier with your decision. You deserve it.

Run from UPP and find a seller using Reention cases. Safer cases in that the cells can have air space around them rather than cells being glued together.
View attachment 78055
What about the LTO batteru it seems god?

Thanks Taco Mac, I used a Voilamart 48v 1000w front hub kit, with a 48v 1000w 12ah battery and rack on the rear (weight distribution is good- albeit a little high...). Originally I built it on a Raleigh Sc7 that I inherited from my dad, then my wife gave me a Retrospec Chatham beach cruiser for Christmas to which I transferred the kit. I did add some "mid-rise" handlebars as I don't find the beach cruiser bars comfortable. All told, even with the cost of the new bike, it's around $850...View attachment 78059
LOVE this setup, what kind of wheels are those and how big , must blend nice on the beach! Like the battery in the back, what knind of rack. simple break pads I assume, Ive got disk now but eventually switch over to something like the formula cura 4. You and your wife must do a lot of cruising, do you pull any heavy loads.

Ebikeling geared 500W motor. KT-controller with LCD3 display. 48V UPP battery with Samsung GA cells. Built for bike path riding at 12 -14 mph. You could probably buy an Ancheer or find something on Walmart.com clearance for less than I eventually spent. For a long time, like over a year,, I ran it on a pair of $30 hoverboard batteries, and it was a $300 ebike. Then I bought the UPP pack so I could give it as a safer bike to a family memebr,

View attachment 78070
Very Cool thank you harrys,

Hows the UPP i hear lots of good things except some heat issues and you ebikeling set up exp...I mean its exactly what I am thinking about doing..I am moving towards an LTO battery. Now I am going DD should I switch the disc. to hydraulics. Also if the motor is a 1500W should I go ahead with a 52V with 25Ah

Glad to hear you made it! You are the only person that I have spoken to who has survived it. So I am thinking perhaps a cargo style frame might suit you since you cannot use your car to haul stuff? On the other hand you could just pickup a used kids' trailer for trips to Costco.
Thank you very much Steve,

The fact I was at 175lbs and in decent shape from years of running and manual labor and a ventilator kept my head above water. The but the previous years of smoking made it worse. Explain the cargo style frame, what kind? and the kids cargo..had not thought of that..and defiantly a must have!! But I am concerned about the load. If the motor is registered lets say for 350 lbs, does that go up if distributed to the back. Now you four wheels instead of two and a lets say 75lbs distributed off the bike itself. Whats the math on this? Have you used a trailer?

Go for it !
I doubt you'll be sorry. And it's waterproof, a big difference from most.
You'll find more build references on the Endless Sphere forum
Mike_v,

Thank you Mike everyone here has so many good ideas and helpful ideas which only enhances my curiosity. Please, what brought you here? What kind of ebike do you have? How long have you had it or how many? Have you built your own?

I'm not making recommendations but here is my most recent ebike kit build finished last week. 48v 500W geared hub motor with 11-22a KT controller and KT display. I'm liking it so far. Smooth power delivery without lurching with PAS and has taken me up some steep hills with a lot of pedal effort from me but not in the lowest gears (middle front chainring, middle rear cog) where I'd barely (or not) be able to make the same ride without assist. Cost $280 for a pretty complete kit including torque arm, throttle, stick on brake motor cutoffs (so no need to change brake levers), bright front and rear lights, the controller bag.
View attachment 78060

The controller is easy to program with the KT display which has good information. Here is the display on the lowest brightness setting
View attachment 78061

I have a 48v 15ah/720wh battery advertised as having samsung cells and internal dividers, not glued for ~$220

Pictures don't show grade well but I took it up this road, ~3/4 mile with over 300ft elevation gain including flat sections up to the base of the trees in the picture near the house. The steepest area is difficult to walk up.
View attachment 78062

It seems to do about as well on this bike as a Tongsheng 36v 500w mid drive that I installed on my wife's Dahon Briza which, in turn, does almost as well as my Yamaha powered gravel bike.
Here is my wife's bike with the Tongsheng which can make it from the base of the mountain (the ribbon of river to the left center of the picture) to here at near the top where I rode the bike above.
View attachment 78063

In contrast a 36v 250w MXUS geared front hub motor that I've tried on a few bikes in the past is a useless anchor on these hills (but good on the flats to mild inclines where I don't want assist anyway).
EMGX,

Thank you for the reply and the pics were outstanding. Those builds are my next goal. my lungs and endurance are shot right now because of Covid. I just need a lot of pedal asst and power right now. but im intrigued how did you get here and into ebikes, what kinds have you built. I am afraid that I would just be burning out these geared hubs because there is a lot of hills, and I would always be in a low bike gear until I get my legs and lungs back. Watcha think..time for a cold one!! Hope to hear back.

View attachment 78060

View attachment 78061

View attachment 78062

View attachment 78063

EMGX,

Also that display,what is it? very cool!!

I did my first kit build when there were no eBikes locally available in 2014. When I finally found a few to actually sit on I discovered there were no frames used that I preferred. Townie style flat foot frame eBikes were nonexistent. That original build, on a Trek Pure (flat foot like Townies). It's still my favorite ride. A Ninecontinent 1000W front direct drive.

These days there are more choices, but too many brands have created proprietary parts making self-support nearly impossible.
Thomas,

Thank you you very much for the reply, you obviously have been down this road a while. Got any pics what did you start off with? I am really looking hard at this I like the specs so far. Definitely the 1200W!!Get back to you whats you rides been like. How does the front work is it purely a simple throttle or cadence? I am looking at realelectricbike.com

My battery and rack came as a unit. The battery slides into the rack and locks with a key. Having recently had a second back surgery, I am fortunate that the island we live on has miles of paved trails, and is basically flat... we plan on doing a lot of recreational riding this year
We do not pull a trailer...

I know of LTO for its safety and fast charge, but it's less power for the same size. Who is making an ebike battery using it?

Back