Here is what I am thinking about putting together...and yes I am new

Thank you very much Steve,

The fact I was at 175lbs and in decent shape from years of running and manual labor and a ventilator kept my head above water. The but the previous years of smoking made it worse. Explain the cargo style frame, what kind? and the kids cargo..had not thought of that..and defiantly a must have!! But I am concerned about the load. If the motor is registered lets say for 350 lbs, does that go up if distributed to the back. Now you four wheels instead of two and a lets say 75lbs distributed off the bike itself. Whats the math on this? Have you used a trailer?
The typical cargo frame is elongated like this Rad wagon https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike? avad=55097_d1fc033ed&utm_source=avantLink&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=40661&utm_content=55097

I bought a used a Burley Bee trailer like this for $100 bucks . I use it for hoarding toilet paper (-: )and groceries and it works fine.
1612243251163.png

EMGX,

Thank you for the reply and the pics were outstanding. Those builds are my next goal. my lungs and endurance are shot right now because of Covid. I just need a lot of pedal asst and power right now. but im intrigued how did you get here and into ebikes, what kinds have you built. I am afraid that I would just be burning out these geared hubs because there is a lot of hills, and I would always be in a low bike gear until I get my legs and lungs back. Watcha think..time for a cold one!! Hope to hear back.
I got introduced to ebikes mostly for my wife's benefit. Years ago I bought her an IZIP Trailz AL to get her back into bicycling because she couldn't pull the hills on trails we would ride. I sold it after she got her strength up and didn't want to ride a ebike anymore.
Crude technology with lead acid 24v battery pack but it was well built, comfortable, assisted her up the hills well, had pretty good range and the rim brakes were amazing. Much better brakes than some disc brakes I've used - if it was because of the brake pads I wish I knew where I could buy them. If I hadn't sold the bike it would have saved me from doing the Tongsheng mid drive installation on her Dahon Briza. Substituting lithium ion for the lead batteries and overvolting it to 36v (capable of that per reports) would have made it an excellent ebike ride, even now. I think I paid just over $200 for it from Walmart when they were closing them out, over 10 years ago.
1612281904530.png

Several years ago I bought a simple MXUS 250w 36v front hub kit with throttle thinking I could use it to ride to work once in a while to assist on steep hills only. I tried it on a few bikes, it worked well for fairly flat routes but that isn't what I needed. Currently I laced that hub into a 16" rim to use on a single wheel bike trailer, in the smaller wheel it should provide much more assist but at a lower top speed. I don't need speed when I need assist grinding up hills anyway. I'll get back to that project eventually, it is almost completed other than some small tweaks.

Bought a Yamaha powered mid drive gravel bike about a year ago on a whim. Brand new bike sold as used from bicyclebluebook on ebay for ~40% of MSRP. It has been a great bike.
20191215_155704.jpg

Over the years my wife's knees have gone bad which is why I put the Tongsheng mid motor into her Dahon Briza, that is working well for her.

The rear hub motor installed on the Schwinn Sierra is only there for testing, I bought it to put on a tandem cruiser that we have. I was going to get rid of that bike but my wife asked me to keep it. It needs assist for us to ride the hilly paths that we used to take it on. After testing it on the Schwinn I'm confident it will provide adequate power to make up for my wife's limited pedaling ability.

I hope you get what you need from whatever you choose, there are compromises with each. I've never ridden a direct drive bike but from what others have written they are heavier, add significant pedaling resistance when unpowered and don't pull hills as well as geared hub motors or mid drive kits.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I got introduced to ebikes mostly for my wife's benefit. Years ago I bought her an IZIP Trailz AL to get her back into bicycling because she couldn't pull the hills on trails we would ride. I sold it after she got her strength up and didn't want to ride a ebike anymore.
Crude technology with lead acid 24v battery pack but it was well built, comfortable, assisted her up the hills well, had pretty good range and the rim brakes were amazing. Much better brakes than some disc brakes I've used - if it was because of the brake pads I wish I knew where I could buy them. If I hadn't sold the bike it would have saved me from doing the Tongsheng mid drive installation on her Dahon Briza. Substituting lithium ion for the lead batteries and overvolting it to 36v (capable of that per reports) would have made it an excellent ebike ride, even now. I think I paid just over $200 for it from Walmart when they were closing them out, over 10 years ago.
View attachment 78107

Several years ago I bought a simple MXUS 250w 36v front hub kit with throttle thinking I could use it to ride to work once in a while to assist on steep hills only. I tried it on a few bikes, it worked well for fairly flat routes but that isn't what I needed. Currently I laced that hub into a 16" rim to use on a single wheel bike trailer, in the smaller wheel it should provide much more assist but at a lower top speed. I don't need speed when I need assist grinding up hills anyway. I'll get back to that project eventually, it is almost completed other than some small tweaks.

Bought a Yamaha powered mid drive gravel bike about a year ago on a whim. Brand new bike sold as used from bicyclebluebook on ebay for ~40% of MSRP. It has been a great bike.
View attachment 78110

Over the years my wife's knees have gone bad which is why I put the Tongsheng mid motor into her Dahon Briza, that is working well for her.

The rear hub motor installed on the Schwinn Sierra is only there for testing, I bought it to put on a tandem cruiser that we have. I was going to get rid of that bike but my wife asked me to keep it. It needs assist for us to ride it on the hilly paths that we used to take it on. After testing it on the Schwinn I'm confident it will provide adequate power to make up for my wife's limited pedaling ability.

I hope you get what you need from whatever you choose, there are compromises with each. I've never ridden a direct drive bike but from what others have written they are heavier, add significant pedaling resistance when unpowered and don't pull hills as well as geared hub motors or mid drive kits.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

EMGX, that Izip is pretty. Liking the colors.
Your wife is fortunate to have a Mr. Fixit like you. My hubby is also fabulous at fixing anything and it's very much appreciated.

Ebikeling geared 500W motor. KT-controller with LCD3 display. 48V UPP battery with Samsung GA cells. Built for bike path riding at 12 -14 mph. You could probably buy an Ancheer or find something on Walmart.com clearance for less than I eventually spent. For a long time, like over a year,, I ran it on a pair of $30 hoverboard batteries, and it was a $300 ebike. Then I bought the UPP pack so I could give it as a safer bike to a family memebr,

View attachment 78070
HarryS,

Thats definitely the way I going but bigger a 1500W "over-powered" by a 52V 20+Ah (probably a 25Av) 2000W,nM over70, and a high continuous output. Mount on back added 6.26mm torque bars. any ideas? and tell me your thoughts on the hubs you have used, are they holding up? Any cadence lags? How many magnets?are you shifting and not pedaling? Ant problems with debris?geared?

I was initially concerned about the nylon gears overheating, but I do not ride hard enough for that, In your case, a direct drive motor is bullet proof, with no moving parts. If the motor wires don't get warm, the motor will not overheat,

There is no cadence lag. It might be half a turn on stratup, but you're pedalling at least 20-30 reps a minute.

Back