Help with best foldable ebike-Rad Mini Step-Thru or PowerMax Cougar 2

SewHappy

Region
USA
I was able to rent a Rad Mini Step-through and loved it. I wanted to get a feel for it before the purchase. I loved it but there was some negatives.

1. Hated the handle bars. The periscope style handlebars were so uncomfortable on my shoulders.
  2. The water bottle holder was in the way. Ended up removing it so I could have a true step-through experience
  3. Battery got in the way and still found myself fumbling with my feet
  4. Loved the power and ability to start the motor from the get-go. Didn't have to peddle first to start using the throttle
I'm 5'2" and a bit overweight. I loved that I could fold it and put it in my SUV (hubby loaded it). I loved the height and was able to get on/off very easy. But those handlebars are awful! I found a bike out there that is similar but I can't find any reviews out there. I do love the handlebars but the battery is a bit small compared to other ebikes. It's pretty similar to Addmotors and Greenbikes body style with the exception of the handlebars. Does anyone have experience with this bike or can recommend a better bike?

I am not familiar with the PowerMax brand. Rads are very popular here. It might be possible to replace the handlebars with more comfortable bars, but I am not sure how that would affect the fold. It is probably that the reach is too far for you and not the handle bars themselves. You need the bars to be closer to your body.

I am not familiar with the PowerMax brand. Rads are very popular here. It might be possible to replace the handlebars with more comfortable bars, but I am not sure how that would affect the fold. It is probably that the reach is too far for you and not the handle bars themselves. You need the bars to be closer to your body.
Do you know of another brand that has similar handle bars? I wasn't able to find any information on PowerMax. I think they had a different name before but not sure what it is.

I did. I had them all the way down. It was the reach that was hard to use
Folding bikes are usually one size fits most and the frame was just too large for you. Non-folding bikes are available in different sizes, so one size of frame doesn't have to accommodate people from 5' to 6'2". Getting swept back handlebars may or may not work depending on the frame of the bike. I own an Electric Brompton folding bike and I suspect it might fit you, but it is hard to say if you don't test ride it. The Brompton is more expensive, doesn't have a throttle, and is lower power than you are looking for, but it is much lighter and folds much smaller than the Rad. I like it because I can throw two of them in the back of the car and they are so light and small, you can carry them into a restaurant and tuck them under a table. If you need to transport the bike, another option is to get a hitch mount rack for the back of your car and get a non-folding bike with a small sized frame.

Here's a possible solution to the Mini handlebar problem. These are pics of my Rad Rover but the set up is the same on the mini. The first pic shows two bolts that hold the handlebar bracket in place and the second shows four bolts securing the handlebar to the bracket. My thoughts are remove the handlebar from the bracket,then loosen those two bolts and spin the bracket 180 degrees and re-tighten and then remount the handlebars from the opposite side. IF all that can be done then it would set the handlebars closer to the rider. Maybe the renter would be willing to set it up for you to try?

Attachments

• DSCF4453.JPG
    DSCF4453.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCF4454.JPG
    DSCF4454.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 266
Also, many swept back bars first sweep forward before sweeping back and don't bring your hand position much further back. Swept back bars do change your wrist angle to one that might be more comfortable for you though. Bringing your hand position backwards on too large a frame can also make the steering twitchy. The Brompton has twitchy steering even with the factory bars, although you do get used to it pretty quickly.

Back