Help troubleshoot...assist just stops?

glassman

First off...I've been on my Crosscurrent several weeks and love it. My commute time to work is cut in half and an option again. I am not a sweaty mess when I arrive either.
This morning on my ride home the assist was intermittent during the last few blocks. Not 'chugging' like the battery was low...just would not engage when I peddled. Then it would turn on...then I would brake, and it would not assist when I peddled again - no matter what gear.
Later on I went to the store...and after the first block, the assist would not kick in. Battery light shows four green bars. No assist at any level Eco thru Sport. Turned it off/on and nothing changed.
So I got home, charged up the battery to full.
Rode around the block and halfway home the motor would not engage. No power.
Advice?
I wonder if my brake sensor is 'sticking' and cutting off the power? I've tried braking off/on, but with no effect. I'll take it in to the dealer tomorrow, but welcome any ideas on things that I might try first.

First off...I've been on my Crosscurrent several weeks and love it. My commute time to work is cut in half and an option again. I am not a sweaty mess when I arrive either.
This morning on my ride home the assist was intermittent during the last few blocks. Not 'chugging' like the battery was low...just would not engage when I peddled. Then it would turn on...then I would brake, and it would not assist when I peddled again - no matter what gear.
Later on I went to the store...and after the first block, the assist would not kick in. Battery light shows four green bars. No assist at any level Eco thru Sport. Turned it off/on and nothing changed.
Advice?
I wonder if my brake sensor is 'sticking' and cutting off the power? I've tried braking off/on, but with no effect. I'll take it in to the dealer tomorrow, but welcome any ideas on things that I might try first.
Can you unplug the power cut off wires?

Or maybe those two wires were already snapped...and that is why it was cutting off and not turning back on.

I just went for a test ride with the brake to motor cutoff wires disconnected. Everything was normal for two blocks of braking and accelerating, but then the assistance stopped again. Going to take it in ....

Yes, I experienced the same issue today. Fortunately on a leisure ride. My girlfriend also has a cross current and experienced that issue initially, but the local shop swapped it out. Given that and the fact that you are experiencing the issue, I am thinking that this may be more than a fluke. I checked everything to ensure connection and removed and replaced the battery and that seemed to fix it. Does your battery happen to have a rattle? I suspect the issue is connection at the battery or a torque sensor issue.

My battery isn't secure in it's case. If you take it off and rock it front to back you can feel about 1cm of play. Luckily it hasn't affected the bike yet, but it has me concerned that any connection in there could break or work themselves loose.

My battery isn't secure in it's case. If you take it off and rock it front to back you can feel about 1cm of play. Luckily it hasn't affected the bike yet, but it has me concerned that any connection in there could break or work themselves loose.
Not sure in the CC but some bikes have an adjustment screw to tighten the battery. Look on the under the bottom of the battery - bottom Sid of the frame??

The battery does not rattle. Service guy at the dealer says the torque sensor is shorting or otherwise not working. Will wait on replacement...

I had throttle/motor response cut out on my Juiced ODK U500 before - the culprit was the throttle cable having a connection rattle loose; replaced under warranty.

The battery does not rattle. Service guy at the dealer says the torque sensor is shorting or otherwise not working. Will wait on replacement...

Okay, the new diagnosis is a bad controller. Apparently this can happen to any electric bike. The controller is where the electronics come together (sits near/behind the battery).

That's what the Mechanic suspects on mine as well. I got a loaner from the shop! I'm excited to cruise an easy motion while they diagnose and then order a replacement part from juiced.

Okay, the new diagnosis is a bad controller. Apparently this can happen to any electric bike. The controller is where the electronics come together (sits near/behind the battery).
Controller was replaced, and bike works like new! My dealer, Rocket Electrics, has been awesome! I don't think I have ever had such a positive customer experience with anything. They gave me a loaner bike, called me with updates, and genuinely cared about getting me back on the road.

Small world @glassman. Mine is at rocket electrics getting repaired as well! Did you borrow an easy motion or a pedego? I have an easy motion on loan from them. I also took in my rack to see of they can outfit my cross current with the topeak explorer rack.

I was loaned an Easymotion cruiser type bike. it was fun to ride a few days but the CC feels much more like a real bike and it goes faster. I've got a rack that clamps to the seat post. It works for strapping on my lock or small backpack, but not too stable for anything heavy.

Buying from a good dealer like Rocket has proven worthwhile. I considered some other bikes online, but don't have the time or know how to assemble and fix it on my own.

I'm having the same issue. Yesterday I noticed some sort of intermittent clicking sound coming from somewhere on the bike. I gave the bike a once over and the only thing I noticed that it could be is the battery, which can move slightly and tap against the frame.

This morning the assist quit after about five minutes of riding with a full battery. I tried powering down and powering back up, but that didn't work. I removed and reinserted the battery and that worked for a few seconds before it quit again. Then nothing I did would get it to work again.

Coincidentally, I ordered the throttle kit a couple of days ago and it should be arriving tomorrow. It will be interesting to test it out. Either way I'm taking it to the shop this Saturday.

Last edited:
Back