help me with my Turbo Vado "buyer's remorse"

@Cecilsmichie Some thoughts as a guy who has an aluminum Creo SL E5 setup for gravel, a Vado 5.0, and a carbon Domane road bike (analog); I previously had an aluminum hybrid (analog) but sold it when I bought the Creo.

I think the views of aluminum vs carbon frame differences can get a little overblown - yes there's differences, but they're also a lot more apparent when you're on a 120psi road bike tire and nothing like futureshock or isospeed to dampen the buzz.

That however will be your biggest decider - if you must have carbon, that's not an option for a Vado SL and you'll need to go with a Creo and adjust your riding position via stem and/or bar changes. I find the Creo to be a pretty relaxed geometry - seemingly endurance oriented similar to my Domane. Recently did a 42mile mixed surface (~60% gravel / 40% pavement) ride and the Creo performend marvelously with Pathfinder 700x42c tires. That said, I don't have neck issues so I couldn't gauge how that'd impact you.

My suggestion is seek out a test ride even if you need to drive a ways to do so. Alternately I'm told the Diverge is pretty similar in its geometry, your LBS should be able to help with that.

If you are returning to cycling after a neck injury, the more upright position / wider tyres might be a good thing?

I'd suggest having a talk with your therapists before making any changes to the vado, perhaps get a few rides in before trying to contort a damaged neck into masochistic poses.

It's entirely possible I'm projecting here....after way too many gravity events my neck hurts just looking at those bikes....

back in November 2022, i bought a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0. shortly thereafter, i suffered a neck injury that prevented me from riding comfortably. now that i'm finally ready to get back on my bike and have put some rides on the Vado, i'm finding myself wishing i had bought a Creo SL, as my primary bike is a manual custom-built gravel bike, and that's the geometry and riding position i prefer.

naturally, i'm well outside of the retailer's return/exchange window. i started thinking, "this bike's only got 30 miles on it -- maybe i ought to try selling it while it's new-ish, and getting a bike that i'll like more?" but that, admittedly, feels quite silly... taking (i'd guess) a $1000 loss on one bike, to buy another that's not all that different (i was eyeing the Creo SL Comp E5).

i'm hoping i can get some of you all to chime in and help me think this through. my thought is, i'd like a bike that's a bit more nimble (narrower tires), has a less upright riding position, is a bit lighter (~28lb compared to the ~33lb Vado SL), and has drop bars (i find them more comfortable than flats). yes, i do wish i had thought this through better before i made my purchase, but... well, here i am.

am i being ridiculous and/or thinking about this the wrong way? what would you do -- buy a longer stem and some alt bars (like Surly Corner or Moloko bars) to increase my reach; fit some narrower rubber to the wheels; slam the seat forward; and just learn to like it? or, just try and find someone on craigslist to help me recoup my loss while the bike is still effectively new, and put that toward a Creo SL?

thanks for the input, and looking forward to some discussion.
You have many of the same “second thoughts” that I have suffered through. I realized after about 3 months that the SL would have been a more appropriate selection for me. But I have decided to make the best of it for the immediate future!
so what I have done is concentrate on the good points of my Turbo Vado, reliability, power, range, and comfort.
I have come to terms with the idea that I will ride my Turbo Vado and enjoy its many good points, and I will file away for future reference the aspects of it that are less than satisfying.
when I move to my next ebike, hopefully for my 75th birthday I will use that knowledge to more accurately purchase to meet my needs And desires.

You have many of the same “second thoughts” that I have suffered through. I realized after about 3 months that the SL would have been a more appropriate selection for me. But I have decided to make the best of it for the immediate future!
so what I have done is concentrate on the good points of my Turbo Vado, reliability, power, range, and comfort.
I have come to terms with the idea that I will ride my Turbo Vado and enjoy its many good points, and I will file away for future reference the aspects of it that are less than satisfying.
when I move to my next ebike, hopefully for my 75th birthday I will use that knowledge to more accurately purchase to meet my needs And desires.
That’s my thought,social media has fueled our desire for more “things”, I’ve had three e-bikes myself, am enjoying my turbo Vado and now have my 13yo grandson riding with me on his rockhopper, he rode with me 125 miles last summer.

That’s my thought,social media has fueled our desire for more “things”, I’ve had three e-bikes myself, am enjoying my turbo Vado and now have my 13yo grandson riding with me on his rockhopper, he rode with me 125 miles last summer.
You are right @rarobo. I could still be riding my first e-bike, a 250 W (I think rather 350W judging by the performance!) hub-motor trekking e-bike and be totally happy! (Except of the weight and the fact it could not handle the type of the mountains I'm riding on my vacation).

For that reason I keep two very different e-bikes (a lightweight but weak, and a strong but heavy), each of them meeting my specific set of needs. I have no desire for N+1 e-bike anymore!

You are right @rarobo. I could still be riding my first e-bike, a 250 W (I think rather 350W judging by the performance!) hub-motor trekking e-bike and be totally happy! (Except of the weight and the fact it could not handle the type of the mountains I'm riding on my vacation).

For that reason I keep two very different e-bikes (a lightweight but weak, and a strong but heavy), each of them meeting my specific set of needs. I have no desire for N+1 e-bike anymore!
Until next week, next month or next year! ;)

Until next week, next month or next year! ;)
Wroooong! I'm acting on the N-1 principle, where the minimum is N=2 :) I'm a bloody practical person @kahn :) (Not always!) Truly, I am a user not a collector. The e-bike has to be ridden to be kept in good health. If you own several e-bikes and ride each of them then the maintenance costs grow exponentially! (That's why many people keeping several e-bikes/bikes usually only ride one or two of them).

The question I'm asking myself when I see yet another latest & greatest e-bike is: "Will it make me a better cyclist?" with the answer "No" :)
(Vado SL was the last e-bike with the answer "Yes").

have you put the SL bike up for sale yet, I would most likely try out or Demo the Creo first to make sure that is what you want and look to see if the LBS has the last year model or a demo bike that you can buy to save some cash.
You can sell the Vado SL but your going to take little loss but remember that if your not riding your bike its even a bigger loss get what you want
I have had Vado 5.0 now Vado SL and after customizing to fit my need its the perfect bike for me.
good luck

OP sell it, you can mod a bike but you can't make it what it's not. It's not what you want.

Last edited:
If you are returning to cycling after a neck injury, the more upright position / wider tyres might be a good thing?

I'd suggest having a talk with your therapists before making any changes to the vado, perhaps get a few rides in before trying to contort a damaged neck into masochistic poses.

It's entirely possible I'm projecting here....after way too many gravity events my neck hurts just looking at those bikes....
+1
If you are just returning to riding after the neck problem I would pause on losing $$ to buy a more forward position. I have had a bad neck since my early 30s and the forward/road position is a killer.
At the very least ride your regular gravel bike for a few months to see where you are at. Personally I would just ride the Vado for a few hundred/thousand miles before making changes and see how it goes for you. It is not going to depreciate significantly in that time, and you may find that it is unexpectedly perfect for you. Plus better marital outcome?

back in November 2022, i bought a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0. shortly thereafter, i suffered a neck injury that prevented me from riding comfortably. now that i'm finally ready to get back on my bike and have put some rides on the Vado, i'm finding myself wishing i had bought a Creo SL, as my primary bike is a manual custom-built gravel bike, and that's the geometry and riding position i prefer.
I've seen people's health deteriorate quickly without exercise. Spend the money to be VERY comfortable riding. The easier the ride (ebike) the more often it gets used. I ride perhaps 10 times as far as before. And twice as fast. Don't mind the expense. Do what your body wants to be comfortable. Sitting completely upright sounds (to me) like your best option for comfort and neck injury recovery. Get a Sun tour or other suspension seat to save your spine.

Back