Help me pick between RadCity 2018 and RadRover 2018

Knighthonor

Hi I am new. I want to get my first Ebike after tax season. I plan to use it on the multi-use trails. Most of these trails are a good 16 miles one way so about 32 miles overall some having a few hills here and there. I will do some city riding as well. Was wondering which 2018 version would best fit me. From what I researched the RadCity has a Direct Drive, while the RadRover has a Geared drive. Not sure how the feel is different. The only Ebike I ever rode was a Jump DC Ebike which was a easy share bike. So not sure which version that was. But I want to be able to go long distances better and more efficient on a single charge but with option to bike if the battery dies. Which both seem to be able to do. But obviously one if fat tire and other is not. I never owned a fat tire bike. So not sure how that will play out for long distance multi-use trails riding. They both seem to use the same attachments so both can make use of many of the add ons available it seem. I could be wrong. Do they both have the same WH and AH motor? But which do you suggest over the other?

A few things to consider. A geared hub motor will likely provide better assistance/ efficiency at low speeds/ climbing, etc. If your multi use trails are hilly, direct drive is probably not the best option. Also, a geared hub can "freewheel" thereby providing near zero resistance when pedaling without power assistance. Direct drives definitely have resistance to pedal only riding. The flip side is this is what allows direct drives to provide regenerative braking. The power benefits to regen are very small (less than 3%) but it definitely can reduce wear and maintenance on brakes. The direct drive is also far simpler design and less prone to long term wear and tear issues, although I haven't heard about much in the way of geared up failures unless you are putting tons of power through them. The fat bike will be heavier and have more natural rolling resistance, thereby making it likely slower especially when pedaling without assistance. This would likely make it a wash between these 2 bikes for the feel of pedaling without power. Your decision should probably be made more on the desire to have a fat bike or not than considerations about the motor differences. Good luck.

Are the multi use trails paved or rock? You should evaluate the tire style. Pretty sure the Rover has big knobby tires, the City has street? Knobbies on pavement make people stare at you because they are really loud, and have more rolling resistance. Don't you get a rack and fenders with the City? Those fenders are life savers in the spring. If the trails are pavement, City is the right choice.

It has been asked before many this will help, good luck and have fun! https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ad-rover-vs-rad-city-or-something-else.13501/
That's the thing. That thread is what made me sign up because that was between the RadRover and RadWagon. I don't want the Wagon so that wasn't a choice for me. I am looking between the RadRover and RadCity.
Are the multi use trails paved or rock? You should evaluate the tire style. Pretty sure the Rover has big knobby tires, the City has street? Knobbies on pavement make people stare at you because they are really loud, and have more rolling resistance. Don't you get a rack and fenders with the City? Those fenders are life savers in the spring. If the trails are pavement, City is the right choice.
Some multi-use trails like the C&O Canal is a small rock gravel trail with some paved spots. Isn't the RadCity tires similar to a standard Mountain bike tire or is it more hybrid/city bike tire?

Last edited:
The City has 26" x 2.3" Kenda K-Rad Tires. The pattern is much tighter than Mtb knobbies.

Is that crushed gravel on the C&O? You don't need a fat tire bike to ride that. But given the choice, I'd take the Radrover with Veeco Speedster tires ($180). These are smooth tread with low rolling resistance, comfortable on pavement, and absolutely silent. I have them on my fatbike which is a home built, but does use the same motor as the Radrover. I also added a front derailleur, so I can always find a good gear for pedalling w/o power. The sound of my fatbike with Veeco Snowshoes is like the buzzing of the old plans in Dawn Patrol. Too loud. The few fatbikes I see around me have loud tires.

RadCity, you don’t need fat tires and they attract attention, the 48v hub motor and large battery would easily cope with DC hills.

Back