Help me choose (PLEASE) between a Aventon Pace 500, Level, Ride1Up 500, 700, LMTD

Once screwed, twice shy.....

While I prefer the 700 for various reasons, including the wider tires, higher top gear, the looks, and programmable assist levels - the color of the display is actually not one of them. I've read multiple complaints that the PAS level is difficult to read on the 700 because of the colors used to display it.
Did you ever order your R1U?

You disappeared for a while.

BTW: @Taylor57 got a new Espin Sport with wider/knobbier tires than the Kendas on his first sport and he does feel it rides slower.

Did you ever order your R1U?

You disappeared for a while.

No, I didn't get it ordered. Ship dates were too late in the summer (or later/unavailable with some bikes), and there are very few days that I ride after summer once I use up most of my vacation days and the weather turns cool. I prefer 80's and normally don't ride when it's below 70, which gives me a more narrow riding window here in the midwest ( I should probably move. lol ) I did manage to take some November rides this year on my standard bike during some unusually warm days. There's snow on the ground here now, so I'm not following what's going on in the e-bike universe as closely these days. I could have saved some money on some Black Friday deals along with my Paypal through my credit card 5% cashback last quarter, but I didn't want a bike sitting around mostly unused for 5 months. Hopefully I won't be stuck paying even more than expected this year due to tariffs. I'll see if can time things right to get something in the spring. Ride1Up has some mid drive bikes coming out, and he mentioned as 65 to 70 pound bike, but those aren't expected to ship until 2022, so I'm not concerning myself with those.

I'm not 100% set on Ride1Up. I even considered a more expensive bike last year, like a $4000+ one from a regional LBS, but availability was terrible for a bike in my size for any style that I would want.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint on the 700 is regarding the moron that decided to mount the kick stand so far forward, when clearly it's going to be snagged by the crank arm when the bike is rolled backwards more than a foot or 2.
Yeah, I don't like that. The weight is probably my biggest complaint on paper, not having actually ridden it. Kevin of Ride1Up said something about moving the kickstands back on all the bikes, but I don't see that it's been done on the 700 at this point.

No, I didn't get it ordered. Ship dates were too late in the summer (or later/unavailable with some bikes), and there are very few days that I ride after summer once I use up most of my vacation days and the weather turns cool. I prefer 80's and normally don't ride when it's below 70, which gives me a more narrow riding window here in the midwest ( I should probably move. lol ) I did manage to take some November rides this year on my standard bike during some unusually warm days. There's snow on the ground here now, so I'm not following what's going on in the e-bike universe as closely these days. I could have saved some money on some Black Friday deals along with my Paypal through my credit card 5% cashback last quarter, but I didn't want a bike sitting around mostly unused for 5 months. Hopefully I won't be stuck paying even more than expected this year due to tariffs. I'll see if can time things right to get something in the spring. Ride1Up has some mid drive bikes coming out, and he mentioned as 65 to 70 pound bike, but those aren't expected to ship until 2022, so I'm not concerning myself with those.

I'm not 100% set on Ride1Up. I even considered a more expensive bike last year, like a $4000+ one from a regional LBS, but availability was terrible for a bike in my size for any style that I would want.

If you ordered one of those Black Friday specials, it may not even get shipped to you until 5 months later. :)

As much as I like my Espin Sport, I'm looking for N+1... I want an ultralight ebike without the ultrahigh price tag.

If you ordered one of those Black Friday specials, it may not even get shipped to you until 5 months later. :)

As much as I like my Espin Sport, I'm looking for N+1... I want an ultralight ebike without the ultrahigh price tag.
They had stock of the 700 XR (both colors) as well as some of the other models, so it should have been shipped fairly quickly had I ordered. It will be interesting to see what the availability is in March, April, and May this year.

So I ended up jumping in on an Espin Sport. It was a good mix of pretty much everything I was looking for, and for only about $1250. While it may not have the color display and the ability to configure your PAS levels, it was lighter than the 700/Level and that was more important to me. But for the most part, it has equal or comparable parts (some better than the others,) but racks, fenders, integrated lights, hydraulic brakes, suspension fork, integrated battery in the down tube. The design looks pretty clean. Plus I it doesn’t look like there’s many complaints about the bike, it’s chains falling off and electronics failures like I see with R1U. The PAS levels while pre-configured, don’t seem to have that “jack rabbit” effect like on the Aventons. For the most part, it’s seems like nothing but positive experiences with the bike. Customer service doesn’t seem bad, I even sent them an email about something and they got back to me same day.

The way I see it, in giving up a color display and PAS controls (which isn’t the end of the world), I saved myself an extra $250 or so that I can use on some goodies like a suspension seat post and having a shop putting it together so I know it’s done right.

For a first e-bike, that price and all this considered, seemed like a no brainer. Now I just gotta be patient and wait a month until I get the damn thing (I hope!) Thanks @BET for sending me in this direction.
Nice. I have a Sport. Really like it. I prefer the non colored display. The Espin Nero comes with a colored display and I think it is harder to read in sunlight.

What lighter bike are you considering ? I too have a Sport and like it. Kind of considering getting a light and cheap folding bike for traveling. Costco has these Jupiter Discovery 5x folding e bikes for $600. Single gear, small battery and light. However I cannot find out much about them. Afraid they may not last. It is similar to a Swagtron eb7.

What lighter bike are you considering ? I too have a Sport and like it. Kind of considering getting a light and cheap folding bike for traveling. Costco has these Jupiter Discovery 5x folding e bikes for $600. Single gear, small battery and light. However I cannot find out much about them. Afraid they may not last. It is similar to a Swagtron eb7.
Something like the Cannondale Quick Neo SL but it's a bit out of my range (~$2500). I was really looking hard at the Biktrix Swift Lite, but at 48lbs, it's still heavy.

Have looked at the Propella and R1U Roadster V2 but not sure about single speed (although there is a 7-spd Propella). Babymaker is also expensive.

Not really looking for a folding bike... just something that I can use both as an ebike and regular bike.

The one you want is the one you didn't list...
RadCity from Radpowerbikes.com

I've tried Aventon Level and RadCity. Hands down, RadCity leaps ahead by a long shot. Of course, my assessment is based on my personal bias, but here is what I'd say -
1. Quality
The moment you receive the box you know Rad is a superior quality product. The box, packaging, how the bike arrives - Rad has it down cold. Even the quality of the box itself is superior (agree, that is not the reason to select one bike over another but it does clue you into attention to detail and quality, and economies of scale that they can afford a better box and packaging materials).
2. Assembly
Rad was easier and quicker to assemble. It comes with a flatbed base stand for the handle bar forks so you don't have to improvise balancing the bike. Believe me it is a big deal.
3. Handle bar
Rad - swept back just right and good quality ergonomic grips and integrated bell (little thing but hugely practical and value add)
4. Included and integrated head and tail lights on Rad (and bell)
This is a big one. After dropping $2K on a bike with Aventon you'll go hunting for lights that fit your frame. If you have a rack over your rear fender and a bag on it then you cannot mount a light onto the seat pole, so good luck trying to mount one on the rack. Then you are on the hook to keep the lights charged, turn on/off every time. Singularly, this is a deal killer for me. Rad has the brake lights integrated. When you pull on your brakes the rear light goes red. Nice!
5. USB port on Rad
Need I say more...?
6. Ride quality
RadCity is top notch.

Aventon's listed advantages and value-adds are, and for which they charge $100 over Rad -
- smoother welds
- faster speed
- hidden battery
- hydraulic brakes

None of these matter to me. I didn't buy ebike for speed. I have a motorbike and car for that. I bought it for convenience, fun, and comfort. Rad goes uptown 25mph. That's plenty fast for me. Aventon's 28mph is not a motivating factor. Same for welds and hidden battery. The mechanical rotor brakes on Rad are pretty and plenty good. I've had no issues what so ever in stopping the bike in all kinds of riding situations. Hydraulic is complicated hardware and does not add to the riding experience.

Hope this helps.

what is the size fit ? I'd love one but they all appear to be 19" or smaller frames

I would caution anyone considering a Rad City that the bike uses a direct drive hub motor. ANYONE riding one of those, that is also familiar with a similarly powered (750w) GEAR DRIVEN HUB equipped bike, will know the direct drive is nowhere near as peppy as a gear drive, and will not climb like a gear drive - all else being equal. At the very least, read up so you have a clear understanding on the gear driven vs. direct drive systems.

That said, I own a VERY modified '17 Rad City. It was 6 weeks old when the electronics were replaced, and it was repowered using a hub motor rated at twice the original. Then it was repowered AGAIN using a 1000w gear driven rear hub that's still in it. The bike is now easily capable of climbing any hill with pavement on it - easily.

3 years later I still LOVE the 'City design and ride it regularly.

I ended up going with black, but that cobalt blue was hard to pass on. I really liked the contrast between the black battery in the blue down tube. But it came down to safety and security. I’m in Brooklyn, NY and I’d much rather have a bike that doesn’t stand out, and doesn’t scream thousand dollar e-bike around here. While the blue would’ve turned a lot of heads, I’d rather just keep it stealth and fly under the radar.

Once I get it, I’ll definitely come back and give my own little review. F*cking excited! =)
Great. Hope it comes soon. I really like my Sport and a few recent updates may even make it better. It is easy and inexpensive to add or change accessories if you wish.

Something like the Cannondale Quick Neo SL but it's a bit out of my range (~$2500). I was really looking hard at the Biktrix Swift Lite, but at 48lbs, it's still heavy.

Have looked at the Propella and R1U Roadster V2 but not sure about single speed (although there is a 7-spd Propella). Babymaker is also expensive.

Not really looking for a folding bike... just something that I can use both as an ebike and regular bike.
Are you looking for lightweight because you have to carry the bike upstairs? Or is that just from a riding perspective? Personally, I would definitely not want a single speed. Propella 7 speed might be good if it was available.

Are you looking for lightweight because you have to carry the bike upstairs? Or is that just from a riding perspective? Personally, I would definitely not want a single speed. Propella 7 speed might be good if it was available.
Mainly so I can ride it without power. I have about 30 different rides available to me and I change bikes based on hills, length etc. So it would be nice to just use one bike for all rides. Plus I drive to some rides so putting the bike in and out of my van would be easier if it were lighter.

I agree about single speed... which is why I like the Cannondale because it has 9 speeds. I guess I just have to save up. :)

We have a Ride 1up 500. We also have an Espin Sport. I think the Espin Sport is a better bike and a better deal. Same weight, about 55 lb but the Sport weight includes the standard rear rack, front and rear fenders and lights while none of that is included with the 500. They have similar components but Espin has hydraulic brakes, concealed battery and just seems more comfortable and made better to me. We have had some QC issues with our 500 including chain coming off. My Sport has never had that issue and has a better chain guide. Both are cadence sensor and have throttles which are great for City/ suburban riding. Throttles will work from a full stop unlike the Aventons. You can adjust power settings on both in the advance menu setting. My Sport rides well with no power and goes a comfortable bike path speed in level 1. I do not have an Aventon but I would suggest trying them if you need a small or large frame as they sell frames of various sizes. In short, the Sport is a nice bike with all the benefits of a Ride1up 700 with less weight and less money. We also have an Espin Nero but it has 4 inch tires and is much heavier. For your use I think a road type tire (2 inch), in a bike around 50-55 lbs will work.
As you own one I had a query regarding it can you please tell me its avg range and can you carry a spare battery and replace it on the go when needed or does it require a new battery panel to be installed to use the spare 13amp or 17 amp battery which company provides separately......and can you also tell what range does espin hero and sport provide

As you own one I had a query regarding it can you please tell me its avg range and can you carry a spare battery and replace it on the go when needed or does it require a new battery panel to be installed to use the spare 13amp or 17 amp battery which company provides separately......and can you also tell what range does espin nero and sport give

Back