Help - Choosing a bike with a smooth e-assist feel

JMM

Have decided to purchase an e-bike and have now done short test drives on five of them. Looking for a peddle assist bike that the motor adds a very natural feel with little noise if possible. Also concerned over range but would probably give up range for a bike that feels like a regular bike with just a boost in power.

I have done short test drives on a Pedego, Electra, Trek , Giant and Copenhagen Wheel conversion.

Of the them all the Copenhagen Wheel had the most natural feel and I liked the back pedal regeneration slow down feature. Of concern here is the range and the phone interface reliability but I must say I really liked this option

Second was the Giant which seemed to have more range, etc. Reasonably smooth and intuitive power assist but not as much as the Copenhagen.

Trek was next and was very nice but there did seem to be a occasional lag in response. The others were less successful at integration of ride and motor or at least that is how it felt to me.

What other bikes should i try to find and ride, etc? Since this is all new to me what am I not considering and what do other think of my first too choices at this point?

Jim

Try the Specialized Como.

zYP7vUs.jpg

Last edited:
Try anything with a Bosch mid drive. My friend went to the Copenhagen Wheel facility and test rode there. The phone interface turned him away. Keeping it charged, and difficult reading it in direct sunlight was a deal breaker for him.

Of all the ebike motors, Brose provides the smoothest assist. This bike has a 600whr battery with a price tag of <$2999.

I've only had my Giant for a little over a week, but I'm on it every day.
The Yamaha mid drive is smooth and intuitive as you obviously experienced.
What style of bike are you interested in? MTB, cruiser? Road?

Thanks for all the responses.

I will seek out the Specialized Como this coming week. I think I know a place that should have it.

The phone interface for the Copenhagen wheel could be an issue but my phone is fine in sunlight and has never not made it through a day for me so that part is probably not an issue. I am going to try it again next week.

The Bosch mid drives were on two of the bikes I drove. On the first bike it was very unresponsive but significantly better on the Trek. I suspect the integration of the motor to the bike and how the bike measures your effort makes a significant difference.

Will watch the Easy motion video above and see if I can find any local bikes with a Brose motor.

Any other thought or suggestion swill be greatly appreciated. It is always better to hear from people who have some experience than to try and make an uniformed decesion.

Jim

I have the Bafang Ultra with shift and torque sensing and it's quiet and as smooth as a baby's butt. :)

I have the mid-drive Bosch Perfomance Cruise on two bikes. In my opinion this motor and the Brose offer the smoothest feel compared to pedaling a traditional bike. There is a different feel and experience with a hub drive motor, but many ebikers are very happy with them.

I have the mid-drive Bosch Perfomance Cruise on two bikes. In my opinion this motor and the Brose offer the smoothest feel compared to pedaling a traditional bike. There is a different feel and experience with a hub drive motor, but many ebikers are very happy with them.
What bikes do you have?

I have the Electra Townie Go and the Electra Townie Commute. I have only had the Commute for a week.

I believe the two Trek bikes I tried used the Bosch system. I thought they were pretty good but perhaps not as good as whatever is in the Giant.

I've only had my Giant for a little over a week, but I'm on it every day.
The Yamaha mid drive is smooth and intuitive as you obviously experienced.
What style of bike are you interested in? MTB, cruiser? Road?
Something between a cruiser and a road bike. Relaxed and reasonably upright for city riding.

The Townie Commute Go is something like that. 28x 2 inch wheels, upright, bottom bracket is forward, but not like the Townie Go. Court did a thorough review on the Commute Go.
o50777596-AC39-4629-86A7-4A39035F05C9.jpeg

I believe the two Trek bikes I tried used the Bosch system. I thought they were pretty good but perhaps not as good as whatever is in the Giant.

You'll find there is more to motors than just bike brand - there will be significant variability in motor spec AND tune across a brands range.

As an example, " the giant" would have a yamaha motor, but depending on model it could have their top of the range yamaha pwx motor ( giant synchdrive pro) , which has 1/3 the mechanical lag compared with the ( midspec) yamaha pw ( giant synchdrive) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). I can't find any details on the giant " lifestyle" motors mechanics, but presume they are a pwse , which looks to be a budget oriented motor?

It gets even more complicated, though, because giant take the yamaha motor but introduce their own tuning algorithms - so , for example, a haibike with a yamaha pwx is going to feel a LOT different to a giant trance e with the pwx retuned - especially in " eco" mode, where giant tune in 100% assist vs 70% from yamaha

So, perhaps if you could provide a bit more information re what style of bike you are interested in / models you have tested / intended purpose?

If you are looking for a fast urban commute ebike don't just consider mid-drive bikes. There are some REAL advantages to rear (mainly gearless) hub drives when riding a significant % of the time above say 15mph. Mid-drives suffer what is essentially an inefficiency when they are utilized a high speeds. For example when riding with the chain on a 48T front and 12T rear, 75% of the torque produced at the crack by the motor and rider are lost because of the drive ratio. A rear hub drive may produce a lower torque but 100% of it is provided at the rear axle of the bike and that can provide a significant assist advantage at high speeds.

Few mid-drive manufacturers even want this understood and few people understand gear ratios so they get by with convincing everyone that mid-drive eBikes are best for all riding. They are certainly optimized for mountain biking but no so much for urban commuting where average speeds are higher.

If you are looking for a fast urban commute ebike don't just consider mid-drive bikes. There are some REAL advantages to rear (mainly gearless) hub drives when riding a significant % of the time above say 15mph. Mid-drives suffer what is essentially an inefficiency when they are utilized a high speeds. For example when riding with the chain on a 48T front and 12T rear, 75% of the torque produced at the crack by the motor and rider are lost because of the drive ratio. A rear hub drive may produce a lower torque but 100% of it is provided at the rear axle of the bike and that can provide a significant assist advantage at high speeds.

Few mid-drive manufacturers even want this understood and few people understand gear ratios so they get by with convincing everyone that mid-drive eBikes are best for all riding. They are certainly optimized for mountain biking but no so much for urban commuting where average speeds are higher.
I can get behind this.
I had 3 hub drives on my list, but ended up with mid drive because I wanted the eMTB form factor.
The Surface 604 Shred was at the top of my hub drive list before I ended up with a Giant.

You'll find there is more to motors than just bike brand - there will be significant variability in motor spec AND tune across a brands range.

As an example, " the giant" would have a yamaha motor, but depending on model it could have their top of the range yamaha pwx motor ( giant synchdrive pro) , which has 1/3 the mechanical lag compared with the ( midspec) yamaha pw ( giant synchdrive) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). I can't find any details on the giant " lifestyle" motors mechanics, but presume they are a pwse , which looks to be a budget oriented motor?

It gets even more complicated, though, because giant take the yamaha motor but introduce their own tuning algorithms - so , for example, a haibike with a yamaha pwx is going to feel a LOT different to a giant trance e with the pwx retuned - especially in " eco" mode, where giant tune in 100% assist vs 70% from yamaha

So, perhaps if you could provide a bit more information re what style of bike you are interested in / models you have tested / intended purpose?

I am interested in a purchase primarily to get out more in the Florida sunshine. Local rides with friends (maybe 10 miles or so round trip), trips to the local store and back (maybe 5 miles round trip) and perhaps trips to the downtown coffee shops or library (maybe 16-20 miles round trip). I have always liked recreational biking but find myself concerned that I will get somewhere and not have the ability to get home without the e-bike assist). I have a few heart issues and would prefer not to put to much strain on it while still getting exercise.

I listed the bikes I have tried on the first post here and plan to ride three bikes this coming week (Copenhagen Wheel - 2nd try), Giant ? - 2nd try) and a Specialized option.

Just trying to find the bike that is best for me. Limited selection in the area which is why I have asked for comments and suggestions. I want it to ride as much like a regular bike as possible but still provide reasonable peddle assist.

Jim

Back