Help choose sub-$2000 ebike

neek

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive ebike to use while trying to get myself back into shape. I'm a 50yo guy, 6' tall, and about 225lb. I've got relatively bad knees and bad ankles, so I want something for casual use but where I can get a bit of help if I need it. I don't expect to do trail riding but I might at times end up on gravel or similar. Since I'm looking for casual use, I'm happier to keep my cost down to ~$1600 or below, unless there's a true reason why an amateur like me would need to spend more. I currently have a Giant hybrid which I like but there are some parts of my ride where I wish I had a bit of assist.

My limited research so far has pointed me at:
  • Rad Power RadCity 4 (link)
  • Magnum UI6+ (link)
  • DJ Bikes mountain bike (link)
  • eflow Nitro (link)
  • EDIT: Added Ride1Up 700 series (the ST looks great) (link)
  • EDIT: Added CrossCurrent S2 (link)
Since I'm not hitting trails or crazy hills, and I'm older, I like the idea of something where I can be a bit more upright. The RadCity is probably what I'm looking for, comfort-wise. The EBR reviews are all from different model years, so I don't think I can really do an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to things like motor/battery specs, since those seem to be frequently evolving. Does anyone have any strong opinions, good or bad, about these, or any other models I should be considering?

thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat you are and am about to pull the trigger. The ones you listed I also looked at but for various reasons I eliminated, but they may work for you.

I am willing to spend $2000 but haven't found anything that offers much of a but improvement in the price range over the $1500 range. The one exception I found is the Juiced CrossCurrent S2' but it gets too many complaints. Here are my finalist: NCM MS Plus, M2S All Terrain Sport R500, Aventon level commuter, and Ride 1 UP 700 Series. I will probably end up with one of the last two. Good luck!

I know it's $500 over your budget the Turbo Vado 4.0 is a way better bike on sale for $2485 after rebate. At least test ride one at a LBS if you can before they go off sale. Many of us start out with a cheaper rear hub and then upgrade to a mid drive so this might be saving you an upgrade step later. Then again a lot of people are really happy with their rear hub sub $2K bikes.

@Prone2wander : Thanks. Someone local is selling Ride1Up 500 series used, but I suspect the electronics improvements will be worth the extra few hundred dollars. And like you I'm willing to spend more but I don't need stuff like the highest end components.. I just don't think I'd notice.

@tomdav, thanks, I'll definitely look at the Turbo and see if it makes sense for me. I have a Specialized road bike which is great, but unfortunately their main supplier around here closed up shop a few years ago so there's no local shops that I know of. I'll hunt around for one though.

When you talk gravel, I think fat tire. Thinking you might have a look at/add the RAD Rover to your list. The fat tires are going to buzz on pavement, which might make you crazy after a while, but the are 4" street tires that will still work good in gravel. Bonus is 4" tires ride great!

There's also a gear driven motor which offers a little sportier performance than the City....

@Prone2wander : Thanks. Someone local is selling Ride1Up 500 series used, but I suspect the electronics improvements will be worth the extra few hundred dollars. And like you I'm willing to spend more but I don't need stuff like the highest end components.. I just don't think I'd notice.

Neek, for the extra $500 I want a torque drive and a 750w motor. I haven't found it yet.

The one exception I found is the Juiced CrossCurrent S2' but it gets too many complaints. Here are my finalist: NCM MS Plus, M2S All Terrain Sport R500, Aventon level commuter, and Ride 1 UP 700 Series. I will probably end up with one of the last two. Good luck!
What negative things have you read about the Juiced? The new model looks amazing, spec-wise, and it's a nice looking bike!

What negative things have you read about the Juiced? The new model looks amazing, spec-wise, and it's a nice looking bike!
I have researched so much I can't remember where I saw the negatives because the bike has about everything I want. It seemed to me the negatives may have been on reddit. Maybe the problems have been addressed so don't take my word for it.

@tomdav, thanks, I'll definitely look at the Turbo and see if it makes sense for me. I have a Specialized road bike which is great, but unfortunately their main supplier around here closed up shop a few years ago so there's no local shops that I know of. I'll hunt around for one though.

What zip are you? I'd be surprised if you didn't have a Specialized dealer in your area.

Another bike to consider if you're ok with rear hub is the Rize 2020, particularly the upgrade to torque sensing, hydraulic brakes, and larger 17Ah battery for $1699 shipped:

I found a few local dealers, so I will go have a look.
Another bike to consider if you're ok with rear hub is the Rize 2020, particularly the upgrade to torque sensing, hydraulic brakes, and larger 17Ah battery for $1699 shipped:

Thanks, that one also looks like good bang-for-the-buck. Right now I'm liking the Juiced CrossCurrent S2 after reading a bunch about them, and they provide a nice $200 discount to anyone in the medical field or military veterans, which brings the S2 to $1699 shipped as well.

So many [good] choices!

Nice, yes, that's pretty compelling. I wouldn't worry about the Juiced reviews, they've been around for a while and sold a lot of bikes. You know what you're getting as opposed to some of the new kids on the scene which may look good on paper but you're taking more of a risk with an unknown quantity.

@neek crazy lenny's crisis prices page just updated yesterday afternoon - crisis prices page.

If they still have the BH Evo 650b in stock for $1080 (plus I assume about $200 for shipping), you should end your search and pick it up. Beats every bike on your list with a great set of components and 600wh battery, oh and a better price than all of them.

I know it's $500 over your budget the Turbo Vado 4.0 is a way better bike on sale for $2485 after rebate. At least test ride one at a LBS if you can before they go off sale. Many of us start out with a cheaper rear hub and then upgrade to a mid drive so this might be saving you an upgrade step later. Then again a lot of people are really happy with their rear hub sub $2K bikes.
I am also looking for a 'first' eBike in the, ideally, sub $2000 range....but willing to go up a bit for 'the right bike'. The Turbo Vado and Turbo Como are great values now but was put off by the motor- I really wanted at least 500w.

I've now been focused on used Stromers and Pedegos....but still trying to figure out what is right for me at this point.

I am also looking for a 'first' eBike in the, ideally, sub $2000 range....but willing to go up a bit for 'the right bike'. The Turbo Vado and Turbo Como are great values now but was put off by the motor- I really wanted at least 500w.

I've now been focused on used Stromers and Pedegos....but still trying to figure out what is right for me at this point.
Don't focus on wattage of the motor. Stromer and Pegego motors not really directly comparable to the Specialized bike motors as the former are hub drive and the latter mid drive. I recently bought a Turbo Vado 4.0 after my introduction to the Brose mid drive motor (BH Lynx 6 and Raleigh Tamland iE). My wife and I also own bikes with Bosch, Shimano and Yamaha mid-drive motors, as well as bikes with rear hub drives. The Brose is currently my favorite.

The first thing you do want to compare in motors is the torque. And then think about the fact that a mid-drive system will benefit from the bike's available gears whereas with a hub drive system changing gears really only changes your cadence, and not the motor's functional output.

@neek crazy lenny's crisis prices page just updated yesterday afternoon - crisis prices page.

If they still have the BH Evo 650b in stock for $1080 (plus I assume about $200 for shipping), you should end your search and pick it up. Beats every bike on your list with a great set of components and 600wh battery, oh and a better price than all of them.

I spoke to Jeff yesterday at CL and it sounds like this might not be quite the right fit for me. He said they do still have one in stock (as of late yesterday). Note, though, that it's a model 2017 bike that they're selling with new warranty, etc.

And @TMH, thank you, I hadn't thought through that benefit of mid-drive motors. That obviously should make for a very different ride

I've just decided to pull the trigger on the Juiced. The price seems fair, I like the look, and the only real complaint I have is it doesn't include a rear light or reflector, nor an adjustable height stem, so for about $50 extra I should end up with a good starting bike.

Again thanks to everyone for all the guidance!

Congrats! Keep us posted on your thoughts when you get a few miles on it.

Back