Help choose sub-$2000 ebike

I am also looking for a 'first' eBike in the, ideally, sub $2000 range....but willing to go up a bit for 'the right bike'. The Turbo Vado and Turbo Como are great values now but was put off by the motor- I really wanted at least 500w.

I've now been focused on used Stromers and Pedegos....but still trying to figure out what is right for me at this point.

Do not be put off by the 250W nominal rating. It is plenty powerful with up to 72nm torque and 520W peak. Excellent torque sensing, quiet, smooth, and you have the mission control app to custom tune things. The Vado 4.0 has the speed motor which does not cut out until 28 mph so you don't need to play games to derestrict that might affect your warranty.

Then again, if you just want a bike to get you from A to B with minmal pedaling a rear hub with more power (and battery) may be more to your liking.

Last edited:
Check out Court's video review, no substitute for a test ride, but may give you an idea of what the bike is capable of. If you go with a cheaper rear hub it will be a heavier bike there will be more centrifugal intertia due to motor weight in the wheel, and you won't be able to gear down to help the motor like you can with a mid drive, so I wouldn't go less than 500W nominal for a rear hub. If you just want to go fast with minimal effort and cost a rear hub with large battery might be a better choice.

Check out Court's video review, no substitute for a test ride, but may give you an idea of what the bike is capable of. If you go with a cheaper rear hub it will be a heavier bike there will be more centrifugal intertia due to motor weight in the wheel, and you won't be able to gear down to help the motor like you can with a mid drive, so I wouldn't go less than 500W nominal for a rear hub. If you just want to go fast with minimal effort and cost a rear hub might be a better choice.

I did test a Vado a while back. Hard part for me is I can’t test bikes back to back so hard to truly compare. I really like the Class 2s that I have ridden as I like the throttle but I’m wondering if that is a cop out. I am reconsidering the Specialized mostly because of their dealer support and the rebate which gets them really close to my ideal budget

Torque gets you up the hills. Power supports top speed. Note also that many bikes with higher power ratings are heavier, with fatter tires and just overall less efficient. When you test ride, turn off assist to get a real feeling for how hard they make the motor work.

Torque gets you up the hills. Power supports top speed. Note also that many bikes with higher power ratings are heavier, with fatter tires and just overall less efficient. When you test ride, turn off assist to get a real feeling for how hard they make the motor work.
All makes sense....the real problem continues to be the ability to test them back to back and on similar roads. I have been looking since the fall but can't get comfortable with any bike to pull the trigger. Have considered (and I realize that they are very different): Turbo Vado and Como, VanMoof S2 (now S3), Stromer ST1X, Pedego City Commuter and Interceptor. Looked at many others but ruled them out along the way (Juiced, RAD, Trek SC, etc.).

My roads are flat with moderate hills and I don't expect to do really long rides. I am 6'0 and 225.

Just to follow up, in case anyone else ever finds this thread: I have the Juiced and I absolutely love it. It's heavy, as all e-bikes are, but rides like a dream, it seems well put-together, and both the mechanical and electronic components all seem to be very good for what the cost is. Rad Power just updated their bikes too, they'll have more power-similar bikes available in July.

Happy riding!

Back