Hello Help

vkray

Region
USA
Hi there all of you pros out there! I am new to this forums. I am 78 years old, older than dirt! I have poor vision which has forced me too quit driving, which believe me was the hardest thing I have ever endured... So I need to be able to get around town, so I built a motorized bike, decided i did not like.
So I built a ebike, purchased a bike and a kit, am even though I cant see very clear, I got er done, yippee skippy!
I am now on the forth bike I have built, it is a Phat tire 24" tricycle.. Why a trike I figured it was safer for and old man to ride. Not worried about balance. It turned-out ok. I was riding the other day and got hit by a truck, I did not get hurt. A little sore. But now the bike does no longer work. I do not have a clue what is wrong. Well I do I think it has something to do with the power wire from the front motor to the controller, but it is just a guess. I had problems with that before I think it is a six pin connecter I can see it but then it is very hard for me to see the darn thing to even to be able to hook it up, believe me it is very frustrating to do. Anyway I have a thumb drive power switch , with red yellow green display, they come on but I have no power to the drive wheel, does not make a sound, or move. I need help!
Thank you for reading!
I am located in Tulsa, Ok.

Welcome to the site. I'm 71, but may have better vision than you.
Glad your recent accident was low damage. Better the bike bad than you bad. I've been hit twice by cars, the second driver ran away. A bump & scrape on the shin, a sore leg for 2 weeks, was the worst of it.
There is no limit to what kind of glasses you use in your repair work. I use the $1 reading glasses from dollar tree, +1, +2, +2.5 for really small stuff. Beyond that there are little telescopes dentists & doctors use, I don't know how to buy those. A lot of light helps too. Closed down iris makes vision sharper.
A DVM (digital volt-meter) is useful for diagnosing electrical problems. The Klein Non-autorange at HomeDepot is okay, but the probes are garbage, useful only for 480 vac factory circuits. I bought some probes from parts-express.com . They also sell DVM but no $29 ones last time I looked, probably they were stuck on a boat off LA port. Newark.com sells $29 DVM, and the probes are useable. I hate autorange DVM; the readings jump around for 5 seconds until it reaches the 200 v scale you needed in the first place. Then everytime the probe slips the jumping around starts all over again.
The 6 pin white connectors for the hall effect sensor can get bent pins if the connector is removed & replaced. You can bend them back with needle nose pliers.
The tiny connectors on throttle & PAS pickup (crank magnets) can become ittermittant if stressed. Removing & replacing may help, but I've got one that fails about every 3rd time I ride the bike. Replacements vary by year, and I've got the 2018 versions which are rare now.
Take heart. A whole new power wheel+controller+throttle+display+PAS pickup+brake handles cost about $320 or so. A whole lot less than a store bought bike.
OTOH, a store bought bike with a warrenty gets you out of repairing yourself. The downside is that you have to ride the bike to the store if you don't drive anymore. My nearest store is Pedego in the next state, 6 miles away, and they are very expensive. So I had a kit delivered to my door by UPS & converted an unpowered bike. I still have a driver's license but don't run a car anymore, I don't have enough needs to justify a $50000 pickup that will get check engine disease at 11 years & 22000 miles. I just rent U-haul trucks occasionally.

Welcome to the site. I'm 71, but may have better vision than you.
Glad your recent accident was low damage. Better the bike bad than you bad. I've been hit twice by cars, the second driver ran away. A bump & scrape on the shin, a sore leg for 2 weeks, was the worst of it.
There is no limit to what kind of glasses you use in your repair work. I use the $1 reading glasses from dollar tree, +1, +2, +2.5 for really small stuff. Beyond that there are little telescopes dentists & doctors use, I don't know how to buy those. A lot of light helps too. Closed down iris makes vision sharper.
A DVM (digital volt-meter) is useful for diagnosing electrical problems. The Klein Non-autorange at HomeDepot is okay, but the probes are garbage, useful only for 480 vac factory circuits. I bought some probes from parts-express.com . They also sell DVM but no $29 ones last time I looked, probably they were stuck on a boat off LA port. Newark.com sells $29 DVM, and the probes are useable. I hate autorange DVM; the readings jump around for 5 seconds until it reaches the 200 v scale you needed in the first place. Then everytime the probe slips the jumping around starts all over again.
The 6 pin white connectors for the hall effect sensor can get bent pins if the connector is removed & replaced. You can bend them back with needle nose pliers.
The tiny connectors on throttle & PAS pickup (crank magnets) can become ittermittant if stressed. Removing & replacing may help, but I've got one that fails about every 3rd time I ride the bike. Replacements vary by year, and I've got the 2018 versions which are rare now.
Take heart. A whole new power wheel+controller+throttle+display+PAS pickup+brake handles cost about $320 or so. A whole lot less than a store bought bike.
OTOH, a store bought bike with a warrenty gets you out of repairing yourself. The downside is that you have to ride the bike to the store if you don't drive anymore. My nearest store is Pedego in the next state, 6 miles away, and they are very expensive. So I had a kit delivered to my door by UPS & converted an unpowered bike. I still have a driver's license but don't run a car anymore, I don't have enough needs to justify a $50000 pickup that will get check engine disease at 11 years & 22000 miles. I just rent U-haul trucks occasionally.
Well it looks like I was wrong about the 6 pin connector , it looks like a 9 pin instead?
Could it be the brake wiring I disconnected the wiring. I noticed that one of the connectors on the brake is missing?
Bye the way thank you for your response!

Yes, it's normally a 9 pin connector. Three thick pins for the motor. Six smaller pins for sensors, whuch may or may not be in your motor. You have to align the arrows on both sides to plug it in correctly. I can barely see those arrows on my bikes when not outside. I mark them with white paint.

You know about brake cutoffs? Brake lever has a normally open switch in it. If the mechanical cable is loose, the lever will dangle, close the switch, and won't let the motor run., If your brake connector is disconnected, well, this is not the problem. Make sure the motor cable is right first.

Sue the socks off that truck owner.

Back