Hello from Pennsylvania

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Hello, new member ArtDeco here. After poking around a bit I like your forum and hope to be a partt of it.

I'm looking for a pair of step thru type ebikes for a recently retired couple, wife and self, to travel with a RV campervan on routes through Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, West Virginia, etc. but really whole East Coast eventually.

We are both overweight (the reason for bikes), and we will want help with the hills and headwinds, and maybe hauling grocieries to camp. But we will probably ride with minimal assist daily along rail trails or graveled backroads, and we are not planning on mixing it up with cars in the cities or towns along the way. Nor are we interested in high speed throttle bikes - I had a motorcycle once , and have the licence, ticket, and broken leg to prove it.

My Main Concerns
1) Recharging batteries. We will stay in the campervan and shore power (110 volt) isn't often available. We do have a propane generator and will have 100 to 200 amp hours of 12 volt battery and a small inverter. Maybe add a small solar panel battery charger and top off during the day ?
2) Theft. Can we just lock the bikes on the rack on the van in a parking lot, and have them still be there when we get back hours later or even overnight at a motel? What kind of rack and cover will be secure enough?
3) Buying the bikes. I'm torn here between just ordering something pretty cheap like this 50 pound behemoth I found online, and getting something nicer from a local bike shop. We have several LBSs in my area carrying Trek, Giant, Specialized, and some of the smaller brands.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Art

Back