Hello from Ottawa, Ontario - Voltbike

satsteve

Region
Canada
I'm fairly new to e-bikes, just got started in June 2021. I first shopped around online in January 2021, then placed my order with Voltbike in mid February 2021. After many delays I received the bikes in early July 2021. I decided on Voltbike because the company is in Canada & also their bikes seemed like a good value. I purchased two Yukon 750 bikes, one 17" & one step through. One of the boxes came slightly damaged, but both bikes were fine.

So a little about us. I'm an accomplished bicyclist, been riding bicycles & motorcycles my whole life. My girlfriend just learned how to bicycle in summer 2020, so just one year before getting the e-bikes. We are both in mid fifties.

My first impressions of the bikes was that they are quite heavy at nearly 80 lb; way more than any bike that I've ever ridden. The motors on these things are plenty powerful, first test ride on both easily hits an indicated 40 kph with vigorous pedaling in 7th gear & PAS 9. With the tires pumped to around 30 psi, the ride was jarring. Lowering the tire pressure to around 20 psi helped a lot. We ended up ordering comfort seats & suspension seat posts, this combo made for a very cushy ride. The only issue for my girlfriend is that she finds the seat too high even at the lowest setting. She like to be able to flat foot from seated position.

I have one dislike of these bikes, it's the preset PAS1 power/speed setting. I find that PAS 1 is too abrupt & too fast for slow maneuvering & trails. Pedaling slowly, when PAS 1 engages it will accelerate the bike up to 15 kph, that's nearly 50% of PAS 9 which is supposed to be 32 kph. The number of PAS levels can be set to 3, 5 or 9, but it doesn't matter, PAS 1 always goes to 15 kph. The work around for us has been to just use throttle for low speed trails, this gives much better control of the motor power being delivered.

I'm planning to see if I can reprogram the controller's PAS levels, but I will look into the forums & start another thread for that.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have about the Voltbike Yukon 750.

Regards,
Steve

Welcome the the site.
I too hate PAS1. Different brand motor & controller. Too fast, too much acceleration. I finally worked up the nerve to try to reprogram it, and the up button has quit working. New controller I bought doesn't match any brake switches or PAS pickup or throttle that I can buy.

Last edited:
It's typical of many ebikes in this price category to have abrupt pedal assist. It's a design thing. I'm also not a fan of the 26x4" tire on a 70+ pound bike. It must be a North American thing, Still, they are fun.

Back