Hello from not so sunny Scotland! Total noob here! Help with battery charge port cleaning

Baconator

Region
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

First time post here so be gentle šŸ˜„

Got my new hybrid stereo 140 last week, rides fantastic but apparently the cover for the charging port is letting in some water a muck šŸ˜“ itā€™s a tad flimsy in all honesty.

Itā€™s extremely wet where I live šŸ˜“

Thinking about totally covering the area as I can remove the battery to charge in the house.

First of all anything I san use to clean port out? Have seen some people mention isopropyl alcohol, would I then need some corrosion protection? Wasnā€™t sure if I could use something like gt85 as it says it can be used on electronics?

Could you recommend something else if possible?

Any thoughts on what I could use the cover off the area?

I have attached someone elseā€™s picture for worst case scenario.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 959B3B26-5E64-45C5-92E5-B0189F387C4B.jpeg
    959B3B26-5E64-45C5-92E5-B0189F387C4B.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 165
Hello everyone!

Got my new hybrid stereo 140 last week, rides fantastic but apparently the cover for the charging port is letting in some water a muck šŸ˜“ itā€™s a tad flimsy in all honesty.

Thinking about totally covering the area as I can remove the battery to charge in the house.

First of all anything I san use to clean port out? Have seen some people mention isopropyl alcohol, would I then need some corrosion protection? Wasnā€™t sure if I could use something like gt85 as it says it can be used on electronics?

Thanks in advance
What ever you do , don't use anything conductive!
Personally I would use compressed air to clean and if the cover is faulty , just cover the ports with some duct tape .

What ever you do , don't use anything conductive!
Personally I would use compressed air to clean and if the cover is faulty , just cover the ports with some duct tape .

Thanks for the reply JES2020 i really appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

Do you think something like GT85 would be suitable? A few people have mentioned using a contact cleaner but not sure what the best brand is. I have a an electric air duster that might be alright? I just dont want to blow anything in the port

Thanks again

Maybe try a strong shop vacuum first with a narrow nozzle to concentrate the suction to try and get grit out of the area. Next wipe with some Q-tips or similar. Possibly cocktail toothpicks that are plastic and non-conductive to dig inside of those holes.

Dielectric grease is sort of the go-to for waterproofing connections, although usually its used in the context of a waterproofing a covered connection, or a complete connection. Adding some to a higo connection to your display, throttle and so on is pretty common.

If your door cover for the Cube is still on, I'd go with some dielectric grease. And maybe some gorilla tape to armor it and act as a shield. Not to tape the door to the frame but tape to the cover so the tape overhangs the seam and prevents direct muck ingress into same. Doing it that way you are not pulling on the tape and thus those two plastic 'hinges' at top.

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance
Off the topic, but I just came back from visiting Scotland and Ireland. They are both out of this world.
I was disappointed having to return to uglyland. The beauty and history is jaw dropping and the people are awesome. Almost everyone here is stuck up and high on themselves.

CN

Off the topic, but I just came back from visiting Scotland and Ireland. They are both out of this world.
I was disappointed having to return to uglyland. The beauty and history is jaw dropping and the people are awesome. Almost everyone here is stuck up and high on themselves.

CN
I was just watching a documentary,an hour ago, on the Roman and barbarian clashes and Hadrian's wall.

Maybe try a strong shop vacuum first with a narrow nozzle to concentrate the suction to try and get grit out of the area. Next wipe with some Q-tips or similar. Possibly cocktail toothpicks that are plastic and non-conductive to dig inside of those holes.

Dielectric grease is sort of the go-to for waterproofing connections, although usually its used in the context of a waterproofing a covered connection, or a complete connection. Adding some to a higo connection to your display, throttle and so on is pretty common.

If your door cover for the Cube is still on, I'd go with some dielectric grease. And maybe some gorilla tape to armor it and act as a shield. Not to tape the door to the frame but tape to the cover so the tape overhangs the seam and prevents direct muck ingress into same. Doing it that way you are not pulling on the tape and thus those two plastic 'hinges' at top.

Thanks for the detailed reply šŸ˜„

any particular brand to use?

I think Iā€™ll go down the gorilla tape in all honestly

I really appreciate the reply.

Thank you šŸ˜„

CN

Where are you visiting from?

I love my area, itā€™s absolutely breathe taking ā¤ļø

I live in a place called Kinlochleven in the Scottish highlands

Thanks for the detailed reply šŸ˜„

any particular brand to use?

I think Iā€™ll go down the gorilla tape in all honestly

I really appreciate the reply.

Thank you šŸ˜„
Dielectric grease is not normally used for plugs that are repeatedly unplugged. It will make a mess , and attract more dirt.

You don't need any specific kind of duct tape, any will do.

If you allow the port to dry out, a burst of compressed air should clear out any debris in the ports.
If a port is clogged then you will need to unclog it with a tooth pick, or such.

Where are you visiting from?

I love my area, itā€™s absolutely breathe taking ā¤ļø

I live in a place called Kinlochleven in the Scottish highlands
We live outside of Vancouver on the west coast of Canada.
We went through the Highlands on a highway on the westside of Loch Lomand, Loch Ness up to Inverness.
We spent a bit of time at Culloden before heading down to Edinburgh, with a stop at St. Andrews. My momā€™s family is from Northeast Scotland near Banff. My dadā€™s family is from Northern Ireland.
Iā€™d move there in a second.
CN

Last edited:
We live outside of Vancouver on the west coast of Canada.
We went through the Highlands on a highway on the westside of Loch Lomand, Loch Ness up to Inverness.
We spent a bit of time at Culloden before heading down to Edinburgh, with a stop at St. Andrews. My momā€™s family is from Northeast Scotland near Banff. My dadā€™s family is from Northern Ireland.
Iā€™d move there in a second.
CN
Ha! Me too! A recent DNA report revealed Iā€™m 80% Scottish, Irish, and Northern GB. With an (adopted) Polish name that got me the the nickname ā€œAlphabetā€.

The aviation industry gave us products good enough protect critical avionics. Products like ACF50 and Boeshield. Anti corrosive and waterproof. Leave the duct tape for sealing air ducts. The commie is right, dialectic grease is old school and has no place on ou ride.

OK then I stand corrected. But duct tape as a shield is still a good idea. Again we aren't trying to tape down anything. Use it to extend the edges of the top cap. Cut it oversized and fold its ends over so they are no longer adhesive, and the 'new' oversized cap is wider and shields the seams.

Last edited:
The aviation industry gave us products good enough protect critical avionics. Products like ACF50 and Boeshield. Anti corrosive and waterproof. Leave the duct tape for sealing air ducts. The commie is right, dialectic grease is old school and has no place on ou ride.
Sent a dm if you donā€™t mind answering :)

Ha! Me too! A recent DNA report revealed Iā€™m 80% Scottish, Irish, and Northern GB. With an (adopted) Polish name that got me the the nickname ā€œAlphabetā€.
Ahh that explains EVERYTHING !
Read the reason for Hadrian's Wall.

KISS= Keep it simple stupid ! tommyboy
Don't spend a bunch of money if you don't need to.
Duct tape will keep the debris out and be dirt cheap to replace after every charge.

Duct tape will keep the debris out and be dirt cheap to replace after every charge.
Sent you a dm mate if you donā€™t mind answering something if possible

Enough of the teenage commie pinko. PLONK

Attachments

• 8D2A0DBB-08AF-4250-8ACD-42B16211FB99.jpeg
    8D2A0DBB-08AF-4250-8ACD-42B16211FB99.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 127
Back