Hello from New Hampshire

Lizzybnh

Hi everyone,
My son, who lives in LA, bought an ebike a few months ago, and has been raving about it. He was home for a visit last week, and we found a place that rents ebikes for the day. Holy cow!! I was hooked immediately! We rode 28 miles, and although it was on a fairly flat rail trail, I could not have covered that distance on my regular bike. So . . . now I want one! I am short, so primarily looking for a step through. I will do mostly rail trail riding with the occasional paved bike path. I have been reading and watching Court’s reviews and thought that the RadCity Stepthrough or the Surface 694 Colt looked really good. It is hard to find that bike that fits between the commuter and the fat bike catagories. I have also been considering Voltbike’s new Bravo and the MS2 XC Sportmax/md, but can’t find much info on them. I don’t want a mountain bike, but a good all arounder. I don’t want to spend more than around $2000. I would appreciate and thoughts or recommendations! Thanks so much!
Liz

Lizzybnh, Welcome to our EBR Community :); that "Holy Cow!!!" and big grin is a great way to experience an electric bike for the first time. It is exhilarating. When you say short; what's your height. Court's done a number of reviews on low step ebikes that can also be good for shorter folks, so if you share just a bit we can help you with options. Sounds like you might like an ebike with tires in the 1.9 to 2.5" width which provide a little more cush from bumpy roads without being all-out fat tire. These slightly more narrow tires can more easily be fitted with thorn resistant tubes & tire liners to help you avoid flats (Nobody wants a flat on a bit heavier bike; besides you don't want to spoil the ride!) Do you have a particular range the bike needs to go? I always suggest adding on about 30% more, since once you have an ebike, you find all sorts of places you want to go with it.

Thanks so much, Ann. I am 5’1” and 61 years old - very active, though. I would be riding the bike for exercise and pleasure. I live in a small town in NH where there are no paved bike paths or roads with shoulders. However, there are miles and miles of rail trails near me and throughout the state - one that is 57 miles from end to end. They are multi use trails - fairly wide consisting of packed stone dust, dirt, or packed gravel, and relatively flat. These are the trails I would primarily ride on. If I get really brave, though, I may try riding to work, which is about five miles from home and up and down some long challenging hills. So, I am looking for a bike that could go 30-50 miles on a charge and would be comfortable to ride on the trails with an occasional venture on the road. Price is also a factor, and I would like to keep it under $2200 if possible. I have been watching endless reviews on the site and love the very thourough job that Court does with each bike. Very helpful! There are two or three shops within an hour of my house that sell a few ebikes, so in the next week or so I am going to go see if I can try a few. I would definitely appreciate any recommendations or advice from the forum members. Real life experiences with the bikes are so valuable!

Thanks, again!

Pedego is more expensive, but made with top-of-the-line components, and they have a 24" bike that's great for short people, the 24" Interceptor. Retro cruiser styling (I have the 26" interceptor in my profile photo). Big battery capacity--I can do a 30 mile round trip commute and then run some errands. I'm not saying these things as an ebike expert, just as a 56 year old person who LOVES my Pedego Interceptor. :)

Meanwhile, what I (or anybody) loves might not be the riding experience YOU like. Do you have a bike store near you that carries ebikes? If so, go ride and ride and ride! See what you like and what is a good fit for you and gives you that big ebike grin!

Thanks so much for your input! There are very few ebike dealers around me, but in checking their websites, I see that one of them carries the Pedego Inceptor. I will go,try it out!

Back