Hello from Minnesota - Looking for first e-bike

Jakupnorth

Hey I've always ridden but it's been a few years since kid duties made it tough to commute on a bike. With covid much less need for that!

I was look at the Trek Verve+ 3 which looks great but the cost is definitely on the edge of what I'd like to spend. Also the Cannondale Neo EQ (I had a Cannondale mountain bike I LOVED that someone stole in college).

I'm 6'2 and fairly fit - just want something with a little boost so I can ride to work easily but also ride 15-20 into the city and have plenty of energy for a run. Has to be low maintenance.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hi,
Fellow Minnesotan here, bought a Specialized turbo Como 3 a few weeks ago and having a blast with it. Based on the description of what you're looking for I would definitely recommend that you check out the Specialized turbo Vado line. I'm 6'3" and the Como XL frame is a great fit, Vado models are also available in XL.
Good luck with your search,
TC from MN

I'm 6'2 and fairly fit - just want something with a little boost so I can ride to work easily but also ride 15-20 into the city and have plenty of energy for a run. Has to be low maintenance.
I'm fairly fit for a 69 year old, but 25 mph headwinds can extend my 3.5 hour commute to summer camp to 6 hours of 144 bpm. TOO MUCH exercise. So winter of 2018 I installed a geared hub motor. I ride it power off the first 25 miles, then 61st to 77th hill and last 6 miles I let the motor do the work. Geared hub motors don't drag power off. Magnumbikes.com sells a variety of geared hub motor bikes, and has dealers in major cities too. I converted the yuba bike left myself with an ebikeling motor & luna battery, before magnum came up with a cargo bike frame. The bodaboda left is special for short leg people, though. I carry groceries weed killer & lawnmower parts out to the summer camp, where I stay 5 days at a time.
If you really have to have the motor on all the time, and seriously want to change the chain every 1000 miles, only mid drives yamaha, brose, & shimano can be ridden power off without drag. I got 5000 miles out of my first 8 speed chain since the power doesn't go through it.
You're close enough to Crazy Lennie in WI to make a trip over worth your while.

Congrats on your search for an ebike.
Your test rides will help narrow the field. And if possible, try renting.
You mentioned low maintenance. Obviously ebikes are more complex than a non powered bike, so depends on your definition of low maintenance.

Thanks that's interesting. I will check out Crazy Lennie if I get a chance!

I'm down in Carver, welcome to the forums! I've been to Lenny's at least twice, it is worth the drive especially if you are new to ebikes - the selection is unmatched here, and you just aren't going to get anywhere near the prices they run.

If you check their site now under the specials/overstock page they have a couple of bikes from a European brand (Gepida) which have a bosch mid-drive - 1 of them is a speed pedelec as well, bigger battery (500wh) and it'll go faster if you want...doesn't mean you need to ride it at 28mph though!

gepida overstock

A single speed with belt drive seems appealing...

I'll definitely be doing some test rides in the near future, probably buy from a local shop so they can handle the maintenance for me. I should probably get my Zen on and do it myself but it's also nice to support them...

On my list so far are the following. I have to admit that style is at least as important as substance to me since I'm no road warrior and I like nice things.
Specialized Turbo Como (the Vado seems a little much for me)
Civia Parkway
Cannondale Treadwell Neo
Going to see about getting test rides...

Back