Hello from Minnesota - Large Rider Looking for Help Selecting my first eBike

Ecpederson

I haven't ridden a bike in years and tried riding my old mountain bike the other day and hated it. I went 1 mile with my boys and had to turn around. I went to a LBS and they had a Specialized Como 2.0 and it made me smile. I felt it would get me back on a bike again. What I need help with is this the best selection for me. They are asking $2,799 so with tax it tops out at over $3,000.

I am a large man weighing in at 350lbs and am about 6'-1" tall. I would ride mostly city bike paths for fitness and recreation and would want to keep up with my teenage boys riding mountain bikes. I am thinking an upright relaxed riding position is best for me but am open to suggestions.

Hoping someone here can help me select a bike that will last me years and get me into better shape.

Live near Minneapolis

Sounds awesome! I suggest that, if you have a Pedego dealer near you, you check out Pedego ebikes. They are very sturdily built. In one of their ads they show a large person with one of their bikes. I have a Pedego myself, but have no financial or other connection to the company besides just being a happy rider.

I'm sure others will also chime in. Welcome, and I hope you get that ebike smile on your face again very soon!

Odd as this may sound, I'd recommend that you at least check out cargo bikes. They are usually stronger and made for larger loads. It might not be stylish, although frankly there's one I like so much I wish I needed it!

The Riese and Muller Packster series is very nice but very pricey. The Radwagon has good remarks and it's more affordable. The Pedego Stretch is rated up to 400 lb. and is priced midway between those two.

And I've got to say, if you prefer something more traditionally "cycle-y", don't overlook the Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent series or the RipCurrent. They will tell you that the max load is 275 and that is prudent. But I started riding at around 300 lb. and have had no problems in nearly 2000 miles on my CrossCurrent S. (If I were buying today, I'd go for the CrossCurrent X.)

You will have to do a bit more maintenance. Nothing terrible. The main thing IMO is to make sure the spokes are at proper tension and the wheel is true, so that the weight is properly suspended. Take it easy on the speed, avoid rough surfaces, have a back-up plan in case something goes wrong.

Check out the video at the bottom of this page to see what the spokes on a CrossCurrent or RipCurrent can do.

You've got to know that neither I nor Juiced Bikes can tell you that this is a good choice. I'm just saying, I felt like I was taking a chance, and it has worked out OK for me. YMMV, caveat emptor, and all that.

If you ride regularly, you'll find some of those pounds melting off. A lot of us have had that experience. I'm down pretty close to that nominal 275 lb limit for my bike now. Some guys have lost more weight more quickly than that; beats me how, but I believe 'em.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd buy a cargo bike instead of a cruiser. I love to run errands and buy groceries on my bikes, and it would be great to take a long a passenger. PEDEGO STRETCH, here I would come.

I started out at 303 on my ebike—their website listed 250 as recommended max rider weight for my bike model but they’d assured me before purchase they didn’t have a concern with the extra 53 pounds.
I started biking in March (and rejoined weight watchers online program that month)... steadily losing weight every week with the bike as my only form of exercise. (2,200 miles since March 2nd.) I’m down 47 pounds so far.
There were some issues along the way—a nagging rear wheel squeak developed that I personally believe probably was weight related. (Makers sent me a new rear wheel.) Suffered no broken spokes, ever, until after that new wheel went on—weird, because on the new wheel, I was then lighter than my starting weight, which had never broken a spoke on the original wheel!!—They sent another new rear wheel (they suspected a bad / wrong batch of spokes got used).
So far so good—I’m fortunate they’ve been a great company, customer-support-wise!
All that said, be sure you discuss your starting weight / limit concerns with either the local shop or maker—as the posts above suggest, you may want to look for cargo bikes built from the start for handling more loaded weight... even though you’ll likely drop weight in the process!

I suggest a R&S Tinker or Wallareng Tjugo. Beautiful machines from known manufactures with fat tires and sturdy frames to support the weight.

Back