Hello from Italy!

Hello and Welcome

What is it like to ebike in Italy? Could you post some pics of bike lanes and bike infrastructure in Italy? I am always fascinated with how much more advanced Europe is when it comes to bikes.

What is it like to ebike in Italy? Could you post some pics of bike lanes and bike infrastructure in Italy? I am always fascinated with how much more advanced Europe is when it comes to bikes.

I can answer that in the meanwhile, since I live in Rome.

Compared to most European countries, especially the northern and western ones, our bike infrastructure is quite lacking.

Italy has a long tradition of being a country where owning a car was (is?) a status symbol, and the government often sustained the national car industry in spite of more sustainable means of public and private transportation.

However this is somewhat changing in the recent years, and more attention is given to alternative mobility in general, including biking.

Another factor you have to consider is the difference that still sets apart northern Italy and southern Italy. The first is more developed, rich in business and infrastructure, with a more modern mindset. The latter is still, sadly, very undeveloped and of course this reflects on biking too, that is never conceived as a car substitute or more than a leisure pastime.

My town is mostly in between. We have a few protected bike lanes but in general the traffic is very chaotic and riding in it is not fun, nor safe.
There are, however, some truly beautiful bike-friendly roads (try Google ”Appia antica”) and some new roads are in the making, but we still have a long way to go.

As for ebike, I saw a few public charging stations in San Candido this Summer, but again... that the Dolomites, we are talking Austrian border and eMTB s are everywhere ;)

Last edited:
I spent a month in Italy way back in 1990. Firenza, Roma, Venice, Messina Sicily, Lipari Islands and I noticed exactly what your observations are. Lovely country and beautiful people =D

Back