Hello from DC! Don't worry, I'm not a politician.

Nick D da Great

Region
USA
Just a fairly new to the ebike world. I recently purchased a Ride1Up700 series and have just under 100 miles on it. Contrary to the narrative, DC is actually rather hilly (not swampy!), so I've really enjoyed cruising up those hills and getting places faster than driving! I was able to do 20 miles, order a sandwich from a deli downtown, and get back to my house all on my lunchbreak. The thing really cooks when you're at the highest level of pedal assist. I see some people name their bikes, which I haven't gotten around to yet - I'm sure a name will come to me after a little more exploring.

I have two small children I'd like to start bringing to school/daycare respectively and was wondering what child seat/trailers people are using, and if they'd be compatible with the 700. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and now need to get my wife an ebike so we can get cars out of our daily lives. Hi everyone!

My only question is where are you going to ride, in the street with a trailer that's three times as wide as a bike ?

I see some people name their bikes, which I haven't gotten around to yet - I'm sure a name will come to me after a little more exploring.

Welcome, Nick D da Great! I too am new and found this forum to be friendly and fun!

As far as naming your bike, mine told me his name and speaks through four syllable road noises, saying, "My name's Charlie".

c name.jpg

I played around with paint on the "Element" name plate.

@Nick D da Great, Welcome. With two kids you will need a cargo bike. It is the safest and most maneuverable option. They are designed for this. Sell the 700 to a friend while taking the hit of a couple off hundred off MSRP and tax. Hey it is a friend. We do nice things for friends like buy a plane ticket. Or nice concert tickets.
1654284835913.jpeg

Nick…welcome…Pedaluma is one the resident experts…comb through the threads and you’ll see many examples of his handiwork.
BTW…I was born in DC and find the politicians I have known to be generally hard working and honest though complaining about the constant fundraising. All that said my current delegate in central Virginia ran on his Jan. 6th participation in the insurrection.
Do check over the threads where the subject of transporting children is covered. There are also the bike reviews with the R&M cargo listed on the start page.

@Nick D da Great, IMO the best cargo bike is the Yuba Spicy Curry. This is not a toy. It replaces a car for 90% of intown trips when it is not frozen out, giving MBS and Putin the finger, daily. The 20in rear wheel makes is super stable with wiggly ones on the rear. With hills and kids you will require a mid-drive. It also comes in the off road version which can get urban warrior tires from Schwalbe.
1654298638501.png

@Nick D da Great, IMO the best cargo bike is the Yuba Spicy Curry. This is not a toy. It replaces a car for 90% of intown trips when it is not frozen out, giving MBS and Putin the finger, daily. The 20in rear wheel makes is super stable with wiggly ones on the rear. With hills and kids you will require a mid-drive. It also comes in the off road version which can get urban warrior tires from Schwalbe.
View attachment 125151
Do you think it’s worth considering a used spicy curry ( bought around 2016) for $2500? It has no baskets but only 1,455 miles on it supposedly. I have no real hills in my area and was considering the Radio Flyer L885 that comes with front basket and kid bars for $2100 new… with a 500w hub drive motor. I have 2 kids I want to be able to drive around.

Just a fairly new to the ebike world. I recently purchased a Ride1Up700 series and have just under 100 miles on it. Contrary to the narrative, DC is actually rather hilly (not swampy!), so I've really enjoyed cruising up those hills and getting places faster than driving! I was able to do 20 miles, order a sandwich from a deli downtown, and get back to my house all on my lunchbreak. The thing really cooks when you're at the highest level of pedal assist. I see some people name their bikes, which I haven't gotten around to yet - I'm sure a name will come to me after a little more exploring.

I have two small children I'd like to start bringing to school/daycare respectively and was wondering what child seat/trailers people are using, and if they'd be compatible with the 700. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and now need to get my wife an ebike so we can get cars out of our daily lives. Hi everyone!
Welcome Nick! D.C. is a great place to ride. Don't forget to hit the Capitol Crescent Trail starting in Georgetown, and head down Rock Creek Park on a Sunday when they close the roads, especially when the fall leaves hit peak colors.

Hi Nick, there is an awesome DC Family Biking test ride event coming up this Sunday 9/18 10am-2pm at Alethia Tanner Park by the Metropolitan Branch Trail in Northeast Washington, DC. Strongly recommend as there will be cargo bikes and staff present from the main DC bike shops and brands represented including Tern, Bunch, RadPower, Urban Arrow, and Riese & Muller.

As for trailers I towed a Thule Chariot up to age 5 and since then a WeeHoo Trailer Cycle. Loads of fun!

Back