Hello from Chantilly, VA (but not for long)

Foxhat

I've been planning for my retirement for a few years and have decided to sell my townhouse in northern Virginia, buy an RV and get out of town. Right now it looks like this will happen sometime next spring. While investigating alternate auxiliary forms of transport once I get the RV I started looking at all the ebike info on you tube and that lead me here. I really have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with ebikes and am pleased with how positive almost all of the comments are. I also very happy learning all the things I need to know before buy one. I'm going to an RV show in Hershey,PA next month hoping to put a deposit down on an RV and was pleased to see that RAD Power Bikes was going to be there too. The Rad mini is the one I'm most interested in now, so at least I can get a chance to see it and hopefully try it before I buy it. I'd like to go ahead and get the e bike this fall so I'll have some time to ride it before I move.

Now for the questions. My future travel plans involve spending a fair amount of time in Canada. I've learned from this site and others that ebikes in Canada must be no more than 500 watts. I know the Rad's most have a 750 watt motor, but make one limited to 500 watts for the Canadian market. Do I need to stick to the Canadian certified ebikes or is there a way to lock down the power of any ebike for use in Canada?

Next, I see a lot of postings from others in the NOVA, DC, MD area talking about riding on many of the bike paths in this area. From what I've read on line and talking with some folks in a few LBSs I was under the impression that ebikes are are not allowed on most of the more popular trails in this area. I know there are some legal opinions that say this is not the case, but I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with local law enforcement when riding on these paths or anywhere else in this area?

That's it for now, thanks everyone for all the great info so far, hope to see some of you during my own future travels.

Paul

I live 2+ miles from the W&OD for 5years. I avg over 5,000 per year, lived in Chevy Chase previously. I have Stromers and xtra batteries, lots of range, Not one legal hassle.

On a good day vac/sick day, get up at normal time drive a couple hours down to Richmond, 52 mile trail to Williamsburg, ride 104 miles on a trail w/signs ebikes welcome or ebikes legal (forget which). Get home at 10.Awesome day!

In about 13 months I am retiring , prob a new bike or 2 for a retirement present and then the wife and I are off in a new class a RV to ride anywhere we want /can. Want to get a weather proof platform with a lid for the trailer hitch

Thanks for the reply and the info. I'm about 5 miles south of the W&OD off the Fairfax County Parkway, looking forward to being able to ride on it instead of driving under it. Hope to beat you to the RV by about 6 months but I'm looking at a class C.

Thanks for the reply and the info. I'm about 5 miles south of the W&OD off the Fairfax County Parkway, looking forward to being able to ride on it instead of driving under it.
I too live near the W&OD Trail in Arlington where it runs parallel to the 4 Mile Run Trail. I commute to work on my ebike (to Alexandria) and I make extensive use of the Mount Vernon trail along the river, and popping over to DC on the 14th St. bridge to ride around Hanes Point and Ohio Drive. As well as the Capital Crescent Trail that goes from Georgetown to Bethesda. Weekends often see me on the Custis Trail through N Arlington.
The only local trail I don't ride on (or, haven't tried to) because I have specifically heard ebikes are forbidden, is the C&O canal towpath itself. It's a national park, and as I understand it, no national parks today allow ebikes.
Love your retirement plan!

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear that about the C&O, I have to drive over that one too a couple times a week and always thought it would be fun to ride on. Guess for now that won't happen, but have hope for the future, with the growth of ebikes on the market maybe the NPS will come to some acceptable accommodation.

Now just waiting for someone to answer the question about Canada, haven't seen much info on that topic in the forums.

Thanks again
Paul

Both Radrover and Voltbike you can easily change the amps (voltage x amps = wattage) to lower power to be legal. Just need to verify that you have access to this option before buying, nice to be able to adjust.

Put the Deposit down on the new RV last week at the Hershey RV show, so part of my retirement plan is now in progress. RAD power bikes was also exhibiting there so was able to get an hands on look at the mini and the rover and was impressed with both, but being only 5'6" I think the mini is a better fit. The only issue remaining is that question about Canadian regulations. The person I spoke to at the booth stated I could not lock it to 500watts for use in Canada and he didn't know if it was an issue carrying a US rated bike into Canada. I understand the actual use of the bike is problematic, but I just want to be sure I wouldn't be stopped at the border if I am carrying a 750watt bike on the back of the RV. So, until I can get a definitive answer I'm not going to risk ordering the bike.

Congrats on the RV. Maybe a Rad Mini owner will let you know if that display can be reduced or not. Likely the motor is not marked either so not that easy to tell what wattage it is. Voltbike is close to the same anyway so look at Urban or Mariner if you think it may be a problem, which I do not.

Changed my mind after reading a few postings on various other forums, also the RAD Mini was back in stock, so I ordered one.

I ride the C&O when it is dry and my bike is already dirty, great views. I ride the trail as I do all of them, not to get attention on myself. I have received less comments (none) there then on the paved trails. I doubt you will get any legal hassles while riding it.

Glad to hear that Opimax, I noticed a few other people saying they also ride the C&O so I guess I'll give it a try after the new bike is delivered. On that note, since I haven't ridden a bike since college I'm looking for a good time and place to ride when I'm likely to run into other ebike users to get some guidance and suggestions. I unfortunately work most weekends so I'm limited to weekdays. Any suggestions?

If you feel the need i can meet up with you almost anytime w/some warning. I ride every other day or so. You may not need much or anything. get out any bike and go ride just to get back used to it. We have an 3rd bike for the 2 of us if you would like to come ride it , an ST1. happy to ride with you, did 90 yesterday , sore today :) .

I need assistance with RVs , never been to a camp sight and about to go pretty much full time for 2 years I am a complete noob there. I am going to be doing black tank stuff?? I almost throw up just thinking about it, could be interesting when i actually do it lol

PS I never got a dog since an adult mainly so i dont have ot pick up after them, this is going to be "interesting"

I am near the beltway and 50

I've been planning for my retirement for a few years and have decided to sell my townhouse in northern Virginia, buy an RV and get out of town. Right now it looks like this will happen sometime next spring. While investigating alternate auxiliary forms of transport once I get the RV I started looking at all the ebike info on you tube and that lead me here. I really have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with ebikes and am pleased with how positive almost all of the comments are. I also very happy learning all the things I need to know before buy one. I'm going to an RV show in Hershey,PA next month hoping to put a deposit down on an RV and was pleased to see that RAD Power Bikes was going to be there too. The Rad mini is the one I'm most interested in now, so at least I can get a chance to see it and hopefully try it before I buy it. I'd like to go ahead and get the e bike this fall so I'll have some time to ride it before I move.

Now for the questions. My future travel plans involve spending a fair amount of time in Canada. I've learned from this site and others that ebikes in Canada must be no more than 500 watts. I know the Rad's most have a 750 watt motor, but make one limited to 500 watts for the Canadian market. Do I need to stick to the Canadian certified ebikes or is there a way to lock down the power of any ebike for use in Canada?

Next, I see a lot of postings from others in the NOVA, DC, MD area talking about riding on many of the bike paths in this area. From what I've read on line and talking with some folks in a few LBSs I was under the impression that ebikes are are not allowed on most of the more popular trails in this area. I know there are some legal opinions that say this is not the case, but I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with local law enforcement when riding on these paths or anywhere else in this area?

That's it for now, thanks everyone for all the great info so far, hope to see some of you during my own future travels.

Paul

Paul
Hello from Canada. I have a Voltbike Mariner with a 500 Watt motor. And although it is a Class 2 ebike it is still considered a bicycle by Canadian law. I take it anywhere I want to go without any issues. The 750 watt motor will put you in a class 3 category which means you are looked upon more like a motor vehicle. However, each province's laws vary a little bit as do most cities/districts bylaws. So, with all that being said, the best thing to do is pretty much choose whichever bike suits your needs best, ride where you choose, be respectful of others and enjoy Canada when you get here.

Attachments

• 20180827_133641.jpg
    20180827_133641.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 441
Just received notice the mini has shipped and is on its way. Delivery scheduled to next Monday the 24th. Any opinions on using velofix to assemble the bike?

Gary007 thanks for your comments and suggestions, I worked for and with Nortel for many years and always enjoyed my visits to Canada, and am looking forward to seeing much more of your beautiful country. I hope to spend most of next summer traveling through the Maritimes and Newfoundland. Like the picture, looks like we'll have similar models, will be asking for suggested ride locations as I get closer to delivery.

Opimax, I will let you know when I have the bike ready to go and maybe we can meet on the W&OD one morning.

The Mini arrived as scheduled on the 24th. Decided to have Velofix handle the assembly as it has been quite sometime since I've been around a bike. If you want to do it yourself I don't think there would be any major issues as the bike is almost fully assembled when it arrived. No damage to the box and no obvious damage to the bike and I had mostly unboxed and charged the battery before the Velofix tech (Jeff) showed up this morning. Jeff had no problem with allowing me to watch and ask questions as he mounted the front wheel, spent a fair amount of time adjusting the brakes and the derailleur and generally testing that everything was working as it should. We did have a problem with reattaching the rear rack which was removed so we could attach the fenders, we finally gave up and I will be contacting RAD to try and find a solution. Jeff took the bike for a quick test ride and then turned it over to me. After 40 some years without getting on a bike it was a little intimidating but still fun and I'm sure after a little more practice I can get used to it again. I still be out there riding but I have to work tonight, so I'll be waiting for the next dry day off for a longer ride.

Attachments

• New Toy.JPG
    New Toy.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 435
  • Velofix van outside.JPG
    Velofix van outside.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Velofix van inside.JPG
    Velofix van inside.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 408
Well that didn't take long...

Due to work and weather didn't have a chance to take the bike out again until yesterday. Got 6 miles in riding around the neighborhood even met another ebike owner and a local high school student who works at a LBS. And then just for fun thought I try a path that goes through the woods near here, to get to it I had to cross over a small culvert that had a couple of 2x6's laid across it. Before I started across the boards I knew I was not lined up properly and very quickly dropped the front tire into the ditch and I went face first into the dirt. I got a little banged up but nothing serious that a good slug of 12yr old bourbon couldn't cure, but today I feel like I've been kicked by a horse. What I'm happy to report is the mini came through with no damage, just a small scratch on the handle bar. I walked the bike home about 300 yards to my house but tested everything as I pushed it (the walk feature made it much easier) and all looks good. So I'll give myself another day recovery, I have to work tomorrow anyway, and then I'll be back at it.

Golden rule for riding narrow conditions or trails; Don't look where you don't want to go, look where you want to go. If you look at the ditch while trying to ride a narrow board, you'll hit the ditch nearly every time! Be careful!

Back