Hello from Austin, TX!

Bunny Hand

Hello ebike community,

My husband and I are moving back to Austin this weekend, we've been living in Singapore for just under a year. I'm not sure what part of town I'll be working in, but I know I want to commute on a bike and an ebike just makes so much sense in Austin. Also, I've been reading a lot of Mr. Money Mustache and he's got me pumped.

I've only started doing my research, not sure if I want to go with a mountain bike or city bike, but I think my first steps will be to scour this forum and the EBR site, then maybe go rent a bike at Rocket Bikes. Any tips or recommendations for finding a used bike in Austin would be greatly appreciated!

So happy to have found this site!

Hello ebike community,

My husband and I are moving back to Austin this weekend, we've been living in Singapore for just under a year. I'm not sure what part of town I'll be working in, but I know I want to commute on a bike and an ebike just makes so much sense in Austin. Also, I've been reading a lot of Mr. Money Mustache and he's got me pumped.

I've only started doing my research, not sure if I want to go with a mountain bike or city bike, but I think my first steps will be to scour this forum and the EBR site, then maybe go rent a bike at Rocket Bikes. Any tips or recommendations for finding a used bike in Austin would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome Bunny!

Reading this and your other post on bike wants and needs, I would look to a hardtail MTB. Add a BodyFloat or Thudbuster seat tube suspension and a rack, your set to handle just about anything. A city bike may not handle the off road trails you want to ride, but a MTB can always handle the road work. Look at Easy Motion, Haibike and Bulls brands of bikes, they have variety and assorted frame sizes that many brands don't. Also reach out to @Ann M. (or she will reach out to you now that I've tagged her), she's also in the Austin area I believe, and has been involved with ebikes for many years.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello ebike community,

Hey! Looks like we have a lot in common. I moved to Austin a few years ago after living in Singapore for a while, and I commute with a radwagon often. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Cheers!
Antia

Welcome to Austin, Bunny! You're going to need an ebike with our hot humid summer days :). It's really easier to get around here, especially in the downtown & central areas with an ebike; beats driving and finding a parking space any day.

If you want to ride some of the packed cycling trails around the area or Lady Bird Lake, a hybrid city bike will work just fine. If you want to do the "real" hardcore mountain biking, then you'll want a bike with a bit more suspension and torque; perhaps one of the brands with a mid drive. Personally, I like to have a bike that can handle the hills and has a little wider tire for a more comfortable ride; then it's a machine that can handle some of the less technical trails along with city commuting.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have; I'm here to help.

Hey, I just wanted to share my experience renting an ebike from Bicycle Sport Shop on S Lamar. They had a wide range of ebikes available, including the Vado 3,0 I wanted to try, in my size (small), no less. $42 got me all day, from when they opened at 10 am till closing (7:00). They lent me a helmet, charged the battery back up a bit when I came back after a couple hours before head8ng out again. Pretty sure they would have let me take a different ebike out when I returned the Vado after 4 hours. No attitude, very helpful, very good experience over all. I wish I had a similar shop here in Seattle, $42 is nothing if it means I buy the right $3k bike.

Back