Hello, From A2B!

I can easily hit 24 mph on an Alva +, you just have to peddle hard in # 3 setting and not be going up a hill. if you are trying to do it throttle-only you can't get there

@BullOliphant, just talked with Kyle Langdon, head of A2B in the US at Interbike a couple of days ago and he recommends that folks needing help use their website email system to reach A2B. If you have a bike designed for most European standards, then it will be limited to a lower speed; however, if you're riding in the US or other countries where the higher speeds are legal then this may just be an issue of reprogramming your console. Please tell us a little more; looking forward to being able to help!

I can easily hit 24 mph on an Alva +, you just have to peddle hard in # 3 setting and not be going up a hill. if you are trying to do it throttle-only you can't get there
Thanks drcollie. I played with it some more and have been able to hit 24 on flat stretches. It also appears that I have to be in my biggest gear (#7). I usually ride around in 6 so I have to rememeber to shift up. does the A2B sense the shifting?

@BullOliphant, just talked with Kyle Langdon, head of A2B in the US at Interbike a couple of days ago and he recommends that folks needing help use their website email system to reach A2B. If you have a bike designed for most European standards, then it will be limited to a lower speed; however, if you're riding in the US or other countries where the higher speeds are legal then this may just be an issue of reprogramming your console. Please tell us a little more; looking forward to being able to help!
Thanks Ann M. Will do. I really like it so far.

Sounds like you have got some pretty good use out of your Velociti kauaikit. The motor and internal controller are designed for a 36v system. I am not aware of any upgrades or modifications to get the Velociti above 20 mph. The decreased speed may be due to your battery, or even possibly the motor wearing out. I would recommend taking the bike to your local A2B dealer and having them take a quick look at it to determine the issue. If you are looking for some extra speed check out the A2B Shima (Link Removed - No Longer Exists).

Court, my guess is that kauaikit used a power supply and connected the leads to the -/+ output ports. You can trickle charge it that way until it reached 30v, where as stated the stock charger will pick up. Is that correct? Or did you come up with a new technique? This can be very dangerous and of course this is not recommended by A2B, and we always encourage that you consult your dealer on any issues like this.
Hey kauaikit, I'm interested to hear how you did the "reverse charge" to fix the battery when you first bought it? Could you just do that again to restore life or was that a one time thing? This is a new idea to me, thanks!
This is very risky. If your going to play with this type of cheap charger.. Have an escape plan. Have seen to many places burnt to a crisp. Be very carefull. Have a good day.

This is very risky. If your going to play with this type of cheap charger.. Have an escape plan. Have seen to many places burnt to a crisp. Be very carefull. Have a good day.

Kyle L.......you are aware of the A2B 800 watt/48v "scooter"? So, are the "parts" available to install on a '10 Velociti frame?!?

Well....it's been 7 years since A2B made the 26" Velociti, and the stock rear battery has since gone SOUTH and I don't think it's coming back! :)

So, the option is to rebuilt the factory battery in it's rear mounted box and up the voltage to around 44.4v (12s4p) with current tech 18650 cells and then disconnect the factory stock temp. probe. This should get the stock hubbed ebike to around 23+mph.

Then again, the frame on this A2B Velociti is great, and a simple Golden motor MP5 upgrade with it's internal controller too would work. You will want to go 60v and still use the stock rear battery box for around 30+ mph level performance!?! :)

Last edited:
Hey kauaikit, I'm interested to hear how you did the "reverse charge" to fix the battery when you first bought it? Could you just do that again to restore life or was that a one time thing? This is a new idea to me, thanks!
I have just today reverse charged an A2b Kuo battery that was dead. Used a 5V 2A charger with spade terminals on the wires, slotted them into the battery connectors, waited 4 hours then tried the official charger. It's charging.

Attachments

• 20170708_204412.jpg
    20170708_204412.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,221
  • 20170708_204438.jpg
    20170708_204438.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,172
I have just today reverse charged a dead A2b Kuo battery that has not been charged for a year or so. A 5V 2A charger with spade terminals direct to the battery connectors, 4 hours later connected the official charger. It blinked red/green for a while then went steady red. Took the dogs for a walk, returned to find 1 red light's worth of charge on the battery. I think it's going to get a good charge.

Attachments

• 20170708_180553.jpg
    20170708_180553.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,152
  • 20170708_204438.jpg
    20170708_204438.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,250
i just picked up a used pawnshop A2B hybrid (not hybird/24, just hybrid,(believe its an earlier uk version,i think.) in a non running state(as is discount), i believe its a battery issue, when i plug the charger in , it shows red, then amber then green within 1min! which i believe means fully charged , though i doubt its charged in 1min !! , i press the "On" button on the battery but nothing happens, looking at the battery , i see it has 2 ports, 1 port (at tail end of bike)hosts the battery charger audio xlr type cable (input i believe )and the second port ( under the seat, goes out to the control electronic etc i believe is the output i believe ) im wonderin if the issue is with the charger or the battery. i had a multimeter connected to the charger ( the rear end port which the charger connects to )and its not registering any voltage , i also unscrewed the connector in the (port 2 (under the seat) and read the multimeter reading and it says .06 )so im starting to suspect the charger is not working. any help in my direction to trouble shoot will be appreciated

Yes Kyle, that is exactly what I did….for those with a Velociti or Metro battery that refuses to charge with the original stock charger, & having a voltage below 30v, you can bypass the BMS by charging the cells from the reverse connector. This happened to me when my brand new Velociti's (2010) battery, which I purchased, sat in the warehouse for a couple of years. I did in fact tried to contact A2B service for assistance or even warranty help, but got a dead end.

You will need a cheapy 36v (Chinese) charger and a couple of small nails or paper clips. Remove the battery from rear rack. You can find the + & - with a volt meter on the "out" connector from the rear of the battery. I remember the lower left was the + & the lower right was -. You connect the charger positive and negative to the small nails inserted in each connector hole. I too connected a voltmeter, so I could watch the voltage reading. I remember allowing the charger to go to 36v before disconnecting it & then installing the battery back on to the rear of the Velociti. Then I connected the original factory charger & let it do it's business for about 4 hours.

It worked, and I've been riding this Velociti ebike the last few years without any issues…..though, I do have plans to update it's performance as a 20mph limit brings tears to my eyes.

The Shima is a great way to get around the Federal mandated 20mph limit, with throttle only! Let's see all the manufacturers have a ped assist ebike that is able to do 28+ mph.

Kyle, I've also got a collection of the older Wavecrest Laboratory Tidalforce ebikes (2005) that I ride. Originally they came with heavy front NiMH battery hubs (36v/8ah). I've upgraded the battery source to Lithium poly 46v/16ah packs & replaced the front with a 26" Shimano dyno/disc (Avid BB7) rim to power a front LED light. The performance is around 33 mph on level ground, though generally I cruise around 25mph and use the regen for most of the braking. So, I'm good for awhile, though would not hesitate for a minute to purchase the new Shima ebike if I was in the market.

Now connect me with a source to get the 800watt/48v battery that is used in the UM scooter. :))

Hi, I have read your post, but I'm a bit confused.
Did you make a video of the whole process?
I'm Italian, but I do speak English very well; if possible, I'd like to call you through Whatsapp/Skype/Facetime.
Thanks

Hello! We have taken note of this great resource of a site, and wanted to lend a hand. If anyone has any questions for us we'd love a chance to answer then here for you and anyone else who may be pondering the same thing.

Gday mate
Are u from A2B ?
I emailed your office in UK asking if you have a mod to remove the speed limit on my bike but didn't get a reply? Is there any way to remove the speed limit ?

Hello! We have taken note of this great resource of a site, and wanted to lend a hand. If anyone has any questions for us we'd love a chance to answer then here for you and anyone else who may be pondering the same thing.
Hi, Kyle and forum members. I'm brand new to this forum. I bought a hardly-used A2B. The old double-sized battery had gone flat; a fresh new one was in. It worked great until I rode it till it weakened and then shut itself off. Worried, I recharged it OK, but then on another shorter trip, it shut down again. While charging I noticed the charger had red and flashing red lights. The only guide to lights on the charger was orange and green, no mention of red. Also, the charger rattles; the bearing near the end wiggles. Finally, I noticed the charger was hot! Any advice on how to read those red lights? Have I somehow injured my battery? What to do? Thanks in advance.

And here's my photo. I'm the one with an A2B with a red and flashing red light on the charger which also gets hot. Not sure what to do to protect battery.

Hi I owned an a2B Metro for five years. The charger I owned was a very good metal housing with a fan.. AFter a few years the fan died and it stopped working. Easy fix since it was just a Desktop CPU fan.

In your case it seems like a battery problem.. check the voltage of the charger when it's on.

If you bought a new battery and it failed right away return it immediately to the retailer.

@Byron, A2B has been out of business for a while, so it's possible that "new" battery you bought wasn't really new. We haven't been able to get parts from them for a couple of years, unfortunately. Find an ebike shop that can measure the voltage of the battery and check your charger. There could be a problem with the charger as JoePah mentioned and those are easy to find on the internet if your dealer doesn't have a replacement. If it's the battery, then ask for the shop to have it rebuilt at their cost if it was sold to you as new.

Hi I owned an a2B Metro for five years. The charger I owned was a very good metal housing with a fan.. AFter a few years the fan died and it stopped working. Easy fix since it was just a Desktop CPU fan.

In your case it seems like a battery problem.. check the voltage of the charger when it's on.

If you bought a new battery and it failed right away return it immediately to the retailer.
Thanks, Joe. I'll be taking it in. Still don't know what flashing red means.

@Byron, A2B has been out of business for a while, so it's possible that "new" battery you bought wasn't really new. We haven't been able to get parts from them for a couple of years, unfortunately. Find an ebike shop that can measure the voltage of the battery and check your charger. There could be a problem with the charger as JoePah mentioned and those are easy to find on the internet if your dealer doesn't have a replacement. If it's the battery, then ask for the shop to have it rebuilt at their cost if it was sold to you as new.
Thank you, Ann. The battery shows dates from 2013 to 2016. I'll be taking the battery and charger in for a check.

Back