hello everyone I'm new here and would like to learn some things..

thomasp68

Region
USA
I am trying to help a friend with his bike. it is a 36 volt 750 watt conversion kit. it doesn't have much power and I am wanting to get rid of the 3 light thumb throttle and install a LCD display so I will be able to go to the settings and set the wheel size and adjust the speed settings. also so he can have speedometer, odometer, etc.now I'm confused about what to buy. the throttle on his bike has a 5 pin connector which my research is telling me should be for a hall sensor and throttle should be a 3 wire connector. this bike does not have pedal assist connected at all. and since the motor seems to make a bit of noise I'm wondering if it is a sine wave controller. I've only been reading about these things. I have no real knowledge about this subject so any assistance I can get will be greatly appreciated. so my main question is if I order a LCD display with the older style connector meaning the flat one not round one.. obviously it will connect to the only 5 pin connector available and buy a new throttle. will that connect to the connection that has 3 wires hat is not in use currently. also if I do need the sine wave controller then I will just replace the controller with a new one that also comes with an LCD display for about $50. I hope this is not too confusing. thanks

The controller you have MAY have an output for a “3 position switch”. This switch normally would be “eco”, “normal”, and “sport” modes. Would you mind sharing a picture of the controller (along with its connections) and a link to the kit?

The throttle, you mention that it has lights, does it also have a switch? Throttles with the lights (for displaying battery level) will have more wires than your typical 3 wire throttle.

The flat style connector would be a JST connector. The round one is referred to as a Water Plug (WP).

To avoid hours of research and days of frustration, and probably no resolution, it would be best to add an lcd display by purchasing the display with controller as a kit. This will ensure they would work together. Displays (much like cell phones) have firmware in them. Displays can look similar and have similar plugs, but if that display is flashed with a particular firmware, it will only work with its mated controller. I highly recommend looking at KT type controllers and displays. These are not very expensive and have good enough documentation to get up and running. Something like this could work for you. Most 3 pin throttles would work with that, but you may need to repin (to remove and rearrange the pins from the JST housing) the connectors to match the ground, signal, and 5v wires.

The motor making noise, this could be normal if the controller is a squarewave controller. Most cheap controllers are of this type. The motor noise can usually be heard at slow speeds, though I’m not sure if you would hear this if you opened the throttle with the tire elevated from ground level.

Last edited:
The controller you have MAY have an output for a “3 position switch”. This switch normally would be “eco”, “normal”, and “sport” modes. Would you mind sharing a picture of the controller (along with its connections) and a link to the kit?

The throttle, you mention that it has lights, does it also have a switch? Throttles with the lights (for displaying battery level) will have more wires than your typical 3 wire throttle.

The flat style connector would be a JST connector. The round one is referred to as a Water Plug (WP).

To avoid hours of research and days of frustration, and probably no resolution, it would be best to add an lcd display by purchasing the display with controller as a kit. This will ensure they would work together. Displays (much like cell phones) have firmware in them. Displays can look similar and have similar plugs, but if that display is flashed with a particular firmware, it will only work with its mated controller. I highly recommend looking at KT type controllers and displays. These are not very expensive and have good enough documentation to get up and running. Something like this could work for you. Most 3 pin throttles would work with that, but you may need to repin (to remove and rearrange the pins from the JST housing) the connectors to match the ground, signal, and 5v wires.

The motor making noise, this could be normal if the controller is a squarewave controller. Most cheap controllers are of this type. The motor noise can usually be heard at slow speeds, though I’m not sure if you would hear this if you opened the throttle with the tire elevated from ground level.
thank you for your reply I did order a 30 amp controller tonight that also comes with a color LCD display. it says it rated for 750, 1,000 ,1,500 watt motors and is 3 mode. it says sine wave ,square wave, and something else. I'll have to check. yesterday received a 14 Ah battery so the only existing part is the motor once the controller and display arrive. thanks again

The 5-pin connector is likely for a hall sensor, which isn't used since there's no pedal assist. The 3-wire connector is for the throttle signal.

You can get an LCD display with the older style connector and it should work with the 5-pin connector. Then, get a new throttle that connects to the 3-wire connector. Make sure both are compatible with the bike's controller and wiring.

If you replace the controller with a new one that comes with an LCD display, that's a good option too. Just ensure compatibility with the motor and wiring.

Double-check compatibility before buying, and you should be good to go!

The 5-pin connector is likely for a hall sensor, which isn't used since there's no pedal assist. The 3-wire connector is for the throttle signal.

You can get an LCD display with the older style connector and it should work with the 5-pin connector. Then, get a new throttle that connects to the 3-wire connector. Make sure both are compatible with the bike's controller and wiring.

If you replace the controller with a new one that comes with an LCD display, that's a good option too. Just ensure compatibility with the motor and wiring.

Double-check compatibility before buying, and you should be good to go!
I got a new thumb throttle today and it has 3 wire connector. and the controller I am waiting for from Amazon is supposed to have intelligent features the let it pair with the motor. I watched a tutorial about the LCD display today. about programming settings and it has settings for everything we were wanting to have and settings we can adjust to maximize the motors potential it's still a little over a week from arriving. and display and controller are together. so at least we won't be needing firmware updates or finding out the components are not compatible.

Did you buy this one? The intelligent learning works, and is a good feature if you know how to use it. First time you must power it up with the leads connected. If the wheel spins in right direction, disconnect the leads and you're done. If it doesn't spin or gos backward, repeat powerup til it works, Then disconnect,

I had a smaller version. Worked OK but it was only 250W and the pedal assist not as smooth as a KT controller. S866 display felt cheaper too, But it was less money.

You didn't buy a PAS sensor? I believe that's the whole purpose behind a display so you can use low or high levels of assist. You don't need any levels for a throttle,

1-brainpower.jpg

Back