Hello! and I think I want to build my very first ebike(compact cargo)!

I am leaning towards the Tern Short Haul b/c its an actual COMPACT cargo bike- it looks like there is more than 6" of frame behind the seat before the rear wheel of the Short Haul too. Does that make it more stable- no pitching?
Extra frame behind the seat loads your weight on the front tire. May also be more stable than a regular frame with fast steering. YRMV . Main risk to Tern, 20" wheels fall further into potholes than 26" wheels.

Yes, I saw a page where Tern did not recommend electrifying the Short Haul
Sorry I got the two model names mixed up. You might like some of the bikes I posted on this thread. I don't know if Soma has any plan to restart production of the Yasujiro frame. Maybe email Rodford and see if they may be willing to ship the Billy frame from the UK?

Last edited:
Sorry I got the two model names mixed up. You might like some of the bikes I posted on this thread. I don't know if Soma has any plan to restart production of the Yasujiro frame. Maybe email Rodford and see if they may be willing to ship the Billy frame from the UK?
Yes, I love ALL those bikes posted on the thread! I prefer a low/step thru over mid step frame for easy access on/off and managing while bike is loaded. Most cycle/donky trucks have mid step frames. I get absolutely breathless over the Soma's Yasujiro and Pickup Artist frames even though they are mid step too! But because they are so beautiful and precious- I'd be super reluctant to use it for fear of getting it stolen. Which takes me back to the Short Haul or like(?)- cute and compact but not precious, has good components, steel fork and solid frame that I can sticker up.

Yes, I love ALL those bikes posted on the thread! , , , But because they are so beautiful and precious- I'd be super reluctant to use it for fear of getting it stolen.
May I suggest you carry two of these https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 3/8"x6' stainless wire rope slings for securing the bike to power poles, gas meters, live electrical conduits. Stainless wire rope is a PIT* to cut, usually requires 2 hands to hold it against the battery grinder in a 3rd hand. Or the thief can cut one wire at a time with a diagonal cutter, which takes about 45 minutes. 6' length which I use will do those tethers, 8' would wrap most light poles in parking lots. One sling for frame, one for wheel with hub motor if your model has one. Weigh much less than serious alloy 3/8" chain. Fit in a large pannier for each. Plus two Abus 92/80 locks (ebay zoro), or Abus granite if the hasp opening will fit two sling eyes. Plus sabre pepper spray mounted to the handlebar with a Kale tie. Plus a NIJ class IIIa kevlar vest (skarrarmor.com, ebay or direct) to restrict knife and pistol attacks. I use all those downtown Kentuckiana, particularly in grocery stores. I have a white one which i wear under a colored dress shirt, which makes it invisible. I haven't used the pepper spray against humans, but have warded off packs of dogs in the country at stop signs.

Last edited:
Not that anyone enforces the laws yet, but Class 3 ebikes have no throttle, by definition:

I prefer a low/step thru over mid step frame for easy access on/off and managing while bike is loaded.
Recently the British brand Pashley began offering it's cargo bikes with a 36v Bafang BBS01 mid-drive. Pashley are imported to the US by a dealer in Phoenix, AZ. I don't see their cargo models listed on the US importer website so it might be worth asking if you could place an order for the non-electric pedal bike Pronto or P2 models so you could do the conversion here with a US market 48v Bafang BBS02 motor. You wouldn't need to mount the battery on the rear rack necessarily as the Lekkie frame clamp set is designed to fit the Pashley seatpost tube. The step-through frame and smaller 24" wheels lower the bike and make it easier for riders to mount.

Pashley e-pronto

pashley-e-pronto-electric-cargo-bike-white-front-angle_500x.jpg

And the Pashley e-P2 that has a longer rear frame and a sturdy cycle stand
pashley-e-p2-electric-cargo-bike-white-rear-angle_700x.jpg

Last edited:
May I suggest you carry two of these https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 3/8"x6' stainless wire rope slings for securing the bike to power poles, gas meters, live electrical conduits. Stainless wire rope is a PIT* to cut, usually requires 2 hands to hold it against the battery grinder in a 3rd hand. Or the thief can cut one wire at a time with a diagonal cutter, which takes about 45 minutes. 6' length which I use will do those tethers, 8' would wrap most light poles in parking lots. One sling for frame, one for wheel with hub motor if your model has one. Weigh much less than serious alloy 3/8" chain. Fit in a large pannier for each. Plus two Abus 92/80 locks (ebay zoro), or Abus granite if the hasp opening will fit two sling eyes. Plus sabre pepper spray mounted to the handlebar with a Kale tie. Plus a NIJ class IIIa kevlar vest (skarrarmor.com, ebay or direct) to restrict knife and pistol attacks. I use all those downtown Kentuckiana, particularly in grocery stores. I have a white one which i wear under a colored dress shirt, which makes it invisible. I haven't used the pepper spray against humans, but have warded off packs of dogs in the country at stop signs.
Thank you! I'll look into the stainless steel rope slings! I plan to add a cafe lock with attached chain and utilize a D lock but the stainless sling sounds great!
Do you really wear a kevlar vest?

These bikes could almost work as a compact cargo. I like the 27.5 wheels for a smooth ride and stability. Zoom the wires. They are both conversions of S/M teal Giant Vidas.

Attachments

• BadBBuilds12.jpg
    BadBBuilds12.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 116
  • BadBuilds11.jpg
    BadBuilds11.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Vida2.JPG
    Vida2.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Vida3.JPG
    Vida3.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 112
I finally got to see and sit on a Tern Short(Quick) Haul IRL! I couldn't test ride it as it was already purchased and waiting for new owner's pickup. And got to see it next to a Yuba Boda Boda-which confirmed while it's a beautiful bike, it's way too long/large for me- I do love the integrated rear cargo rack w/full length foot rest-great for carrying a person and to support heavy packages/panniers.

I found the Tern Short Haul handlebars to be too wide/straight (mtb style) and will swap out with narrower/swept back style to bring them a bit closer too. I was surprised how lightweight the Quick Haul is- I could it up pretty easily and it felt balanced as well (not top/bottom heavy) and expect the Short Haul w/electrification will weigh about the same.

TSDZ2B- I've been reading c/o increased resistance and lower power? Increased resistance due to o-ring/spider?
Stock vs OSF- which is more stable and will last longer? Read EcoCycles works with Tongsheng to create special TSDZ2B model that are stronger(than stock) and comes preflashed? Worth the upgrade?

Ebike build and use is for commuting/errands w/occasional local heavy hauling(mulch, seeds) in the city and visits to parks (no off roading).

Do you really wear a kevlar vest?
200 shooting deaths Louisville 2023 to June. No longer just relatives friends & drug customers, a lot of strangers get shot. 2 old guys mowing the lawn in May. I wear it doing that, too. 1 old guy sitting in his house watching TV in March. 3 deaths in May a mile from my house in Indiana. One psycho shooting up cars in an apartment project 6 blocks away. Glad I lost some weight this winter. I don't look fat clad.
I bought ceramic plates NIJ Class IV in May to go to the grocery store, where the weapon of choice is the AR15 clone. 10 groceries in USA in last 6 years shot up. Plates only protect your heart, though. Cheap insurance. People that think a personal firearm protects them never noticed they don't have eyes in the back of their head. Military fire teams move around in groups of 4 or more. I don't own a firearm, but do train running & dodging from side to side.

Last edited:
200 shooting deaths Louisville 2023 to June. No longer just relatives friends & drug customers, a lot of strangers get shot. 2 old guys mowing the lawn in May. I wear it doing that, too. 1 old guy sitting in his house watching TV in March. 3 deaths in May a mile from my house in Indiana. One psycho shooting up cars in an apartment project 6 blocks away. Glad I lost some weight this winter. I don't look fat clad.
I bought ceramic plates NIJ Class IV in May to go to the grocery store, where the weapon of choice is the AR15 clone. 10 groceries in USA in last 6 years shot up. Plates only protect your heart, though. Cheap insurance. People that think a personal firearm protects them never noticed they don't have eyes in the back of their head. Military fire teams move around in groups of 4 or more. I don't own a firearm, but do train running & dodging from side to side.
Wow. I'm sorry. I thought LA was bad...I don't own a firearm either.

NBD!!! I got the Tern Short Haul, was barely able to stuff it into my car and now the changes must begin!!!!!

1) Handlebar- its a nearly straight mtn bike handlebar and 28" long. Way too wide for me. Hard to find a black 31.8mm clamp diameter swept back handlebar that is around 540mm wide. Found 1 black and 1 chrome that are 25.4mm and ordered spacers.
2) Can't raise(or lower) the height of the handlebars- Its fixed! This was the biggest surprise as all my other bikes were adjustable. There are very few Short Haul reviews/videos but none mention that the handlebar height is fixed, even on the Tern site. Is it better to replace the fixed stem with an adjustable stem or use a stem riser? I just learned about stem risers, can I use a stem riser on this bike?

Since you're getting new handlebars I would start with bars that have more lift. I would hope that risers would work on the Tern and so would an adjustable stem, though it would be prefered to use a fixed stem with a higher angle. Maybe a rise in the handlebar bend would be high enough to make you comfortable. How high do you want to go?

Last edited:
Since you're getting new handlebars I would start with bars that have more lift. I would hope that risers would work on the Tern and so would an adjustable stem, though it would be prefered to use a fixed stem with a higher angle. Maybe a rise in the handlebar bend would be high enough to make you comfortable. How high do you want to go?
Yes, I think swept back handlebars with a bit of lift might be high enough but again, I was just surprised. This is my first bike where the handlebar height is not adjustable.
What do you think about folding handlebar stem or stem riser? ThinStem or Satori HeadsUp. They allow the handlebars to pivot 90 degrees to save space.

My wife is about 4' 11", I've modified the Fiido T1 PRO compact cargo ebike for her, with shorter crankarms (152mm vs 170mm stock), smaller chainring (also allow better climbing ability) sweepback handlebar, etc.
Since the T1 PRO was sent to me for free from Fiido due to recall of the original T1 (which I still ride).
$1499 for a 750w hub motor, 48V 20Ah battery capacity, I feel like I can just use the throttle and no need to pedal most of the time.
4VetKZB.jpg

BVrm2PF.jpg

qcq7uqC.jpg

My wife is about 4' 11", I've modified the Fiido T1 PRO compact cargo ebike for her, with shorter crankarms (152mm vs 170mm stock), smaller chainring (also allow better climbing ability) sweepback handlebar, etc.
Since the T1 PRO was sent to me for free from Fiido due to recall of the original T1 (which I still ride).
$1499 for a 750w hub motor, 48V 20Ah battery capacity, I feel like I can just use the throttle and no need to pedal most of the time.
4VetKZB.jpg

BVrm2PF.jpg

qcq7uqC.jpg
Thank you! I originally considered getting a ready made 20" ebike but most are fat tired, very heavy and too long (the cargo ones) to fit in my space. I see the changes you made to your wife's bike- I do like shorter cranks as well. Hopefully swapping out the handlebar shortens the reach enough otherwise, I'll swap the stem.

I like everything about those bars except the big white logo on the front. The bars have some texture so what I do is paint the logo with black nail polish a couple of times and dab it while wet to match the semi-matte texture. Oh, that reminds me that I need to order some 152 or 6 in square taper arms. For this application I will need to cut off 5mm of the inside of the square taper on the left arm. Personally, I like 175's but can only buy 170's for what I do. I will be making a full-sized custom folding bike for things such as camping adventures. Among other things such as hydro, and gravel tan walls, it is getting an 11-50 cassette.

What do you think about folding handlebar stem or stem riser? ThinStem or Satori HeadsUp. They allow the handlebars to pivot 90 degrees to save space.

I had an adjustable stem on my ebike and it started creaking, so I replaced it with riser bars and an angled stem.

If you don't need to be adjusting your angle once it is set, a stem riser is a stronger option.

Last edited:
Back