Heavy E Bike hitch rack with ramp?

Cybersnow

Region
USA
I have 2 heavy e bikes (+70 lbs) that I want to transport on the back of my RV across the North West. They are difficult to lift up on my current Thule rack which was used for regular mountain bikes for years, plus it is not rated for that much weight. I am looking for suggestions from other E Bikers that like to hunt out great bike trails and transport their bikes.

I purchased a Himiway Cobra Pro that comes in at +95lbs with all accessories (rack+bag, aux light, suspension seatpost, tannus tire liners). I upgraded my heavy Saris Supercamp4 platform rack to QuikrStuff Mach2 rack.

- I can handle up to 120lbs on one rack and 240lbs to two racks
- lightweight at 31 lbs for hitch mount and 23lbs for additional rack
- handles long wheelbase ebikes up to 56"
- no tools needed to install rack, adjust up to 5" fat tire, or uninstall on 1.25" or 2" hitch
- folds for easy storage
- comes with ramp, wheel locks, and license plate options

Downsides:
- expensive
- 2 months wait period
- no lights (added Curt 53201 aux 4-way light and attach with velcro to move around the rack in up/down position)
- expensive

I use the dealer-recommended Thule EasyFold XT for that purpose. Versatile 2-bike hitch rack with ramp stored within the rack. Rolls on little wheels when folded up. Heavy duty but surprisingly light and easy to get on the hitch.

Double-check the weight rating. Mostly use it for my bike alone but seems up to the task when both of our step-thrus are on it. Guessing each is pushing 70 lb kitted out.

I do have a similar rack from 1up that I stopped using for two reasons. First is that the arms that lock the tires down are flimsy and the two bikes bounce into each other chipping the paint and damaging the bike. Second is that the rack is not rated for the heavier weight and can't be used behind an RV.

I did go look at the Thule also but had the same issues with max weight especially the low max weight behind an RV.

1Up is usually the go-to recommendation in this category insofar as a purpose-built ebike rack is concerned. Maybe you aren't using the heavy duty one? Their 2" Super Duty rack with the second bike tray is rated for 200 lbs total.

Myself personally, I use a motorcycle rack which is rated for 400 lbs and costs about $175, plus a 7-foot long ramp that ran me another $75. But thats just for one bicycle. They make them in 2-bike versions. You lose convenience as you have to tie the bikes down with come-alongs, which is probably a 4-strap, 10-minute process for one person. And you'll have to have a 2" hitch. Tongue weight is the big thing to pay attention to with 2 bikes and such a big rack.

If you look on the Quikrstuff website in FAQ section. The Mach2 rack is rated for two bike maximum config with 2" hitch model RV, 5th wheel, or travel trailer. The rack needs to be inserted into a chassis mounted hitch receiver (not bumper only mount).

What I liked about QuikRstuff Mach2 over the 1UP was the:
- no tools needed to install or adjust for different size (e)bikes (4'11" spouse can install 31lbs hitch rack or 23lbs extra rack, use the optional ramp, and mount/secure her +65lbs Radcity step-thru)
- 120lbs rating per rack (don't need to prep ebike to remove rack bag/battery, adjust handlebars, or seat height to place on rack)
- long rack wheel base to move two ebike side-to-side to fit without touching
- option to use 1 or 2 racks depending on needs (I install one rack, mount my ebike, install second rack in seconds, and mount 2nd ebike)
- no notches on bike tire arms compared to 1UP for a tight and secure clamp on bike tire. (I lock the suspension so the frame doesn't bounce). I drove from Denver to ABQ at 80 mph with zero issues with 4.8" fat tire 95lbs Himiway Cobra Pro ebike (only removed the seatpost for the +7 hour trip home because of several stops along the way).

I just called 1up to see which bike rack I purchased three years ago. They told me that I bought the older version of the super duty and that it was rated at 75 lbs per bike and that the rating doesn’t change on a Class C RV. If I put the heavier bike next to the car and the lighter bike (54 lbs) on the outside rack I should be ok. I can decrease the weight by about 12 lbs by removing the battery and using a battery cover on the bike. This is great news, now i need to explore how to keep the bikes separated during travel. (Also need to swap racks with the one on LA).

Plus 2 what Matt says,
I carry my heavy weight Wart Hog @ 100#'s on this type of carrying rack along with a folding 7' ramps that also fit on the carrier.
Load Ramp,
This carrier has all the ratchet straps/soft straps and other equipment all in one package,
Also get the carrier that has 1/2" bolts, you can remove to make wheel pockets for a very secure travel.

Another trick is to use the OEM short ramp to cover the wheel pocket holes when loading/unloading the bikes.
These type of carriers also come in 2 place and in alum or steel materials.
ymmv

now i need to explore how to keep the bikes separated during travel. (Also need to swap racks with the one on LA).
I have seen people use 2x4's. Strap them to the frame and let the bike bounce against some soft wood vs. powder coated metal. Actually what I saw was two lengths of 2x4, notched at either end, and the pair planted between the two bikes' top tubes. Then the two top tubes were clamped together using a come-along. No direct experience just saw someone post what they had done.

Also, if you have an RV, something else I have seen done is a vertical mount running top down. Very much something you have to engineer yourself as getting it back down requires some sliding-track and hinge arrangement. The bikes I have seen that done to are Surly Big Dummys, so a 7-ft long longtail that is too big for a bike rack.

I am done with transporting bikes for this Summer as it is slowly getting to be the time that preparation for winter starts. We usually see our first snow as early as November. Thanks for all the great advice on bike racks and I am sure next summer as we haul the bikes around on one of our multi day rides that we will be much happier with the results.

I did look at that one, thanks. I got a little worried that it was a frequently returned item. While I dont give much credit for all the 4 or above items on Amazon, there is usually a reason when an item has a lot of returns.

Fair enough. But that was just an example and there are other options available out there in the www and beyond. I just don't see the justification of the price of bicycle specific racks when there are options in other categories that can cross over that cost less and perform as well or better? Good luck in your search!

I use the dealer-recommended Thule EasyFold XT for that purpose. Versatile 2-bike hitch rack with ramp stored within the rack. Rolls on little wheels when folded up. Heavy duty but surprisingly light and easy to get on the hitch.

Double-check the weight rating. Mostly use it for my bike alone but seems up to the task when both of our step-thrus are on it. Guessing each is pushing 70 lb kitted out.
I also use this Thule rack. Best choice for heavy bikes. Consider getting the larger ramp as it accommodates bikes with wider tires.

I use the black widow hitch rack with Ramp for my two ebikes. Value for money kind for its durability, ease of use, and the convenience of its integrated ramp. It's usually used for loading motorcycles, so it's very sturdy.

Back