Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

If you want a Heart Rate monitor that connects to either MC and/or a TCD (if you have one) then you need a device that broadcasts over Bluetooth. As far as I can see reading various threads it seems that it’s not possible to connect an Apple Watch for this purpose (there is a long thread about this on this very forum). I can confirm from personal experience that the Garmin Dual HRM connects and has the added benefit that if you use a Garmin head unit it will also connect to this over Ant+ as it broadcasts using BT and Ant+. The HRM is a chest strap so perhaps not as convenient as a watch but that depends on what you really want. Hope this helps.

I use a Wahoo chest strap. Biggest advantage is that it syncs easily with Mission Control. I don't wear a watch and like the idea of simply looking at Mission Control to check heart rate during intervals.

I use a Wahoo chest strap. Biggest advantage is that it syncs easily with Mission Control. I don't wear a watch and like the idea of simply looking at Mission Control to check heart rate during intervals.
I use their forearm one so much easier to put on and take off.

I've been using BLEvo on a iPhone. HR on Apple Watch has been working fine. Can't speak to Android (don't have the app on that phone). Read the instructions to get it working. Simple, as I recall.

I've been using BLEvo on a iPhone. HR on Apple Watch has been working fine. Can't speak to Android (don't have the app on that phone). Read the instructions to get it working. Simple, as I recall.
My apologies for the newbie-ish question but does this app work/makes sense for Como?

My apologies for the newbie-ish question but does this app work/makes sense for Como?
I have no experience with a Como, sorry. There's a seperate thread where a user discusses his experience using with a Vado. You may want to take a look there and see how he's using it. From my experience, MC and BLEvo are very similar, except BLEvo is 10.00 USD. The developer seems to be very engaged with the community and responsive. There's also a official BLEvo thread with discussions.

I bought a Coospo chest strap HRM on Amazon for less than $40. Been using it for 4 months with MC and BLEvo. Connected to both in a heartbeat (excuse the pun). Works perfectly.

I just bought a Powr Lab Bluetooth/Ant+. arm heart rate monitor. It quickly paired with my Garmin 830 via ant+ and started broadcasting my heart rate. I also have an Apple Watch but it does not pair with the Garmin.

Keep in mind an old saying: A man with one clock knows the time but a man with two clocks does not...

I just got a Polar H9 that I paired with my Vado 4.0 TCD. Price was $59 off Amazon. The H9 is a Bluetooth Ant+ device that will connect with one device at a time. For 2 devices you would need the H10 so you could be connected to the TCD and Mission Control simultaneously ($89). My H9 connected flawlessly to my 10 year old Precor elliptical machine and the Vado 4 TCD. I had a much older Polar that came with the Precor and after 10 years the plastic on the sensor finally gave up the ghost.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin chest strap and it works with the Garmin Edge 500. I also have a Polar strap that works with an elliptical machine. I tried, but get no pairing so far...not sure if I'm doing something wrong....so what steps do I take to pair either of these with the Mission Control App and the Bike? Or can someone recommend a strap that will work. Thanks

I don't know how old your Polar strap is but you'll need a HR monitor strap like the Polar H10 (or several other types) that can pair with 2 devices simultaneously. I use the Polar H9 (only pairs with one device at a time) on my Vado and elliptical machine because they aren't on at the same time but on the bike it won't work with both MC and the TCD together. In my case I pair it with the TCD to check my heart rate. Since you asked the question and I had never paired the Polar strap to MC, I put my strap on, got my iPhone, opened Mission Control, tapped Settings then Devices and read "Not Pairing" with item xxxyyyzzz (a lot of numbers and letters like a PIN #) then I tapped the PIN type item showing and bang I was paired. Maybe I just got lucky. Now the strap is set up with Mission Control, the TCD and the elliptical machine............but only one at a time.

Thank you for the informative reply. The Polar strap is a T31, what ever that means. There's a Wahoo strap that looks like it might work. Why can't Specialized just tell us what works, it's their App! What's the big secret?

Back