Headlights???

Brightest is a variable, there are up to 6000 lumen lights...comparing that to a car headlight at average of 700 - 1200 lumens.

The prices of these lights vary from the elite Pro Niterider for 500 bucks to the casual Lezyne 1300Macro for 100 bucks.

The Lezyne light is very bright and a great deal for the lumens. I recently got an Outbound Lighting Headlight for $195 which produces 1800 lumens and has a cutoff for the light like a car headlight.

So it all depends on how much cash you are willing to fork. Be aware of the no name brands that claim “1xxx” lumens for 20 bucks, the lights never come near the lumen rating they claim and the battery life on these fail really quickly.

Thing is about headlights is that to be seen you need to be brighter than your surroundings and to feel safe is a priceless feeling. I had a cygolite before my ebike and that was fine, but once I am going speeds up to 28mph I need better headlights and price comes with that.

Last edited:
Yeah that's why I wanted to ask people personally because looking online they all say that they are great.

Indeed I bought a no name China brand to find out if it was up to the hype they put it through, 30 bucks for 2000 lumens...LOL kinda knew it would be crap but tried it anyways. I have a lux/lumen reader and it came out to less than 300 lumens. I returned that thing so fast.

Yep they are called Lumen/Lux Meters, I got one for my indoor plants to measure light ratings and such, just so happened to need to test some headlights too so that came in handy.

If you plan on replacing the existing headlight on your bike, check the wiring and max controller current before buying. These high power lights can easily draw more current that the bike headlight circuit can safely handle.

A better option is a light with it's own rechargeable battery. Some have the ability to recharge via the USB port on your bike's display (if so equipped). That way, you don't sacrifice range by depleting your bike's battery.

You can save some money by avoiding those expensive bike headlights and buy an ordinary high power LED flashlight. There are many ways of mounting it to your bike such as these products from RAM:

ramb231zinc_img2.jpg ramb201a.jpg P1080055a.jpg

The light then becomes a multitasker and can be used for other non bike related purposes.

While not the brightest, I have the Fenix BC30R, which puts out a reliable 800 lumens on high; the newest version does 1000 lumens. The ad copy states 1800, but that is only in burst mode which is only useful for flashing oncoming traffic. The Fenix BC30 puts out 1500 on high and uses replaceable cells, but does not have the OLED digital display panel.

I use an Amazon-bought Victagen ($23 at the time of purchase more than 2 years ago , includes a very bright tail light) and I ride at night very often, starting after sundown. I also use a Coast headlamp (2-pack from Costco for $24). So $50 for lights. If you ride off road trails at night, then maybe you might want the expensive lights. I ride only on the roads at night. I use both lights most often in the low setting, otherwise people flash their hi beams at me. I don't think that I bought the Victagen for its lumen output, but i've been well served by it and bought a second unit which performs just as well. I never wanted for more light. Remote battery has decent charge to last through 3 rides. The Coast headlamp is also great. I can adjust from flood to spot on the lens, 3 brightness levels, throws light where I look. Outperforms my more expensive Princeton Tech headlamp.

A StVZO standard headlight is far better than some damn overly bright flashlight blinding oncoming traffic. Mine run on 36V and 48V cell packs.

What's the brightest headlight I can purchase?
Do you need the brightest though? If you're riding in town, there's such a thing as too bright.

People might hate you. :)

I've been blinded by overkill lights, and lights angled right in the face of oncoming traffic. My bike came equipped with a Euro (German?) standard called STVZO, which helps prevent people approaching you by having a softer light at top and bottom.

My bike came equipped with a Euro (German?) standard called STVZO, which helps prevent people approaching you by having a softer light at top and bottom.
It functions like an automobile headlight. Lighting the road, not the oncoming traffic.

A StVZO standard headlight is far better than some damn overly bright flashlight blinding oncoming traffic. Mine run on 36V and 48V cell packs.

It really depends on where and how fast you are riding. My wired-in light is an StVZO compliant, and it is fine for being seen and putting out enough light for urban use at slower speeds, but it is not enough for unlit paths at night and greater speeds.

It functions like an automobile headlight. Lighting the road, not the oncoming traffic.

Indeed, it seems its all in the lens technology they put into the lights themselves. Cutoff points for our headlights are necessary to not blind people.

The company Outbound Lighting I got my headlights from made a great point of this...

Road-Edition-Beam-Pattern.png

cutoffline.jpg

Beam-Patterns.jpg

My Vado is equipped with running lights that are good to help be seen during the day, but not enough for night time riding. The headlamp is rated at 205 lumens.

Like @Nova Haibike I also use the Fenix BC30R. At 800lm it's plenty bright for night time and the flashing mode is a great addition for daytime traffic riding. Its beam is shaped to prevent blinding oncoming traffic as per Euro standatds. It uses a rechargeable 18650 lithium battery that can be charged in the light or removed and replaced with a fresh cell. It also unclips very easily making it a multi-tasker on our trips; nice to have a flashlight when we walk to dinner!

Don't forget the taillight. I use a bright rechargeable tail light to help be seen in traffic and for night time rides.

How much light do you need? As others have posted this varies with riding conditions but also with age. We older riders need nominally twice the illumination as THIS ARTICLE discusses briefly.

Indeed, it seems its all in the lens technology they put into the lights themselves. Cutoff points for our headlights are necessary to not blind people.

The company Outbound Lighting I got my headlights from made a great point of this...

View attachment 67590

View attachment 67589

View attachment 67591
If you ride in traffic this is an especially important point. Bright hand held flashlights and most inexpensive bike lights don't shape their beams to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Traffic that's blinded by your head light can't see you. Not a good thing for the cyclist.

Indeed I bought a no name China brand to find out if it was up to the hype they put it through, 30 bucks for 2000 lumens...LOL kinda knew it would be crap but tried it anyways. I have a lux/lumen reader and it came out to less than 300 lumens. I returned that thing so fast.

That is funny. I bought a "6000 lumen" and for 13 bucks it is about 4 times as much light as my 200 lumen Eddie Bauer headlamp. I like the USB recharge feature. The light ratings bring new meaning to exaggeration.

Back