Have to pedal like crazy to reach max speeds.... wrong gearing?

Thanks will def try that out. It looks like the little gear thing that moves around the hub does not go all the way to the end point in full overdrive, so that could also be part of the issue.
Now it looks like you are on the right track......

Good eye, I think you are right as the "tensioner" in the pic is installed wrong and is supplying no tension to the belt. It should be facing forward with the roller on top of the belt pushing down on it to provide tension. There is an adjustable type dropout that is also being used to supply tension to the belt. As I understand it there are specifications as to how much tension the belt should be under.

View attachment 153476
I believe what is being referred to as a tensioner is correctly installed. It appears exactly as mine does. You can also check out a clear photo of it from Propel Bikes at 9:28 in this video:
. Tension is adjusted with the two screws, one on each side and accessed through the circular opening of the bracket perpendicular to the frame. Of course the wheel has to be loosened to allow the tension screw to move the wheel fore and aft. I'm not sure, but the gizmo being referred to as the tensioner is more of a belt retainer.

I believe what is being referred to as a tensioner is correctly installed. It appears exactly as mine does. You can also check out a clear photo of it from Propel Bikes at 9:28 in this video:
. Tension is adjusted with the two screws, one on each side and accessed through the circular opening of the bracket perpendicular to the frame. Of course the wheel has to be loosened to allow the tension screw to move the wheel fore and aft. I'm not sure, but the gizmo being referred to as the tensioner is more of a belt retainer.
That makes sense. My Gates belt'd bike used two tensioners very similar to this.

But for that gizmo to have as its purpose belt retention on the sprocket... thats kinda weird. although I guess if you have a poorly adjusted belt the way @philippe_kruse did, it may serve a purpose in keeping the belt from detaching. Gates belts should pretty much be almost bulletproof thanks to that center rib on the sprocket.

Certainly I have seen other R&M belted bikes use actual tensioners. I guess not this one.

Reactions: JRA
Couldn't of said it better myself.

Hopefully the above mentioned will get you where you want to go.

Back