Has anyone upgraded their Radrunner Plus motor?

Groffice

Region
USA
I ask because I tried to this weekend and it seems the motor on the RR Plus is a different motor than the other models in that the cable exits the motor on the brake side and not the gear side.

This makes the replacement 750 watt Bafang motor I bought incompatible with the stock setup.

Just looking for any advice/thoughts before I return this motor.

Let me start by saying I don't know a thing about this conversion, but I'm left wondering if there is something that prevents rerouting the motor wiring from the controller to the other side - to allow it to be used with your new motor?

Ill try and explain. On the replacement motor housing, the side that unscrews to access the motor is on the gear side. The other side has a mounting platform for the disc brake. The stock motor housing is opposite.

My first thought was to remove the side (disk brake side) from my existing motor and swap but the holes on the sides are a different diameter. It looks like the internal axle of the motor would need to be flipped in order to work.

All in all it has been a frustrating and time consuming experience!

Thanks for the reply, here's a pic for ya!

Attachments

• 20210310_092018.jpg
    20210310_092018.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 495
Must be running slow today. Still not following. Why the attempt to change anything on the new motor? Leave the gears on the right, the brake on the left. Why not just bolt it in as-is and reroute the wires?

Why would it make any difference which side unscrews to access the motor?

Because the side you remove from the new motor is the opposite side that is needed on the brake side. I looked at removing the one from my existing motor and the shaft sizes are specific to the side of the motor they come out on. I suppose you could completely remove the existing housing from the spokes and replace the entire thing but that is beyond my abilities.

It's not the cable that is the problem

You are not replacing the entire motor, you want to swap the armature and use the existing Bafang casing?

That's what I did with my Rover.

Bafang Motor 1.jpg

Big motor upgrade.jpg

Because its reversed, I can't see that in your pic?

The only way is probably to re-spoke the wheel with the new casing. Not worth it IMHO.

Oh Crap, I get it now. The new motor isn't laced to a new wheel! This was supposed to be just an armature swap......

OOPS!

I thank you guys! I hope someone with a RR Plus comes along who has figured this out. (I can't be the only one who's tried?)

FWIW, here is a pic of the cable coming out of the brake side.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 339
The Bafang 250W-1000W motors with the cable entry on the right are all about the same size.

Don't know if that's true for the left side cable entry, looks possible

I would point out that the plug on the end of the pig tail is different on the 750 and 1000w motors. The one used on the smaller motors won't carry enough amperage...

Back