Has anyone ridden both a Vado 4.0 and a Vado 5.0 and can compare?

bikeroc

Region
USA
I spoke to Specialized rep today who said in his riding experience there is really no discernible difference in the ride based on the motor - to get the 5.0 only if I want the built in radar and enhanced front fork. I would be interested in others' subjective ride experience comparing these two bikes. Thanks

I'm interested in this comparison too as I want to get a step-through for my wife. But I gotta think there is a discernible difference between 70nm and 90nm. That plus the better fork is what gets my attention. The radar and better headlight, no so much.

If I were to buy a new Vado, I would decidedly choose the 5.0 in the case my area were really hilly (grades over 10%, long ascents and descents*):

Vado 5.0:
  • Better brakes (4-piston instead of 2-piston) meaning a lot on steep road descents
  • Air fork vs steel coil one
  • 90 vs 70 Nm motor that directly translates to the Boost Factor (4x) and peak power (565 W mechanical) in the case of the 2.2 motor
  • GX long cage derailleur and xD rear hub driver leave the room for future upgrading to the 10-52T cassette. (I'm surprised Specialized did not install that cassette to give more incentive to buy the 5.0).
  • Varia radar integrated (powered from the e-bike).
The first four items mean a lot for both steep ascents and descents, especially long ones.

However, if I lived in mostly flattish area with easy hills, I would go with the 4.0 because the specs are very good and the price is very good. I looked at the specs very carefully and I tell you I would not need to do any mods to that e-bike after the purchase! My favourite saddle, very good tyres...
---------
*) In case of real mountains, I would replace the 48T chainring with a 38T on the spot! The 48T ring is for speed. Currently, my Vado 6.0 with a 90 Nm, 520 W peak power 1.2s motor is equipped with a 42T chainring for easier climbs at the cost of the top speed, and I was using a 38T chainring in high mountains.

Last edited:
Well, it’s moot cuz the 5,0 just isn’t available except in IGH. But I’m female and not heavy and I’m buying the radar separately for $140 so hopefully I’ll be ok. I live in an area with flats and hills but nothing dramatic. Thank you!

Well, it’s moot cuz the 5,0 just isn’t available except in IGH. But I’m female and not heavy and I’m buying the radar separately for $140 so hopefully I’ll be ok. I live in an area with flats and hills but nothing dramatic. Thank you!

Well I have a Vado 4 and my wife has a Vado 5 in my experience I don’t find a big difference in power.
I live in a hilly area and rarely put it in turbo eco and sport are brill
Save your money and get the 4 big difference in cost

Well I have a Vado 4 and my wife has a Vado 5 in my experience I don’t find a big difference in power.
Just what I wanted to hear!!! Thank you! And when I called Specialized, their customer service rep said exactly the same thing!

@Jessy1, only you and wife ride 25 km/h Vados :)
Bikeroc has bought a 28 mph (45 km/h) Vado, and it makes the Vado 5 more attractive in the United States.
Yet, I was encouraging @bikeroc to buy Vado 4.0 myself. A very good e-bike and the best value for money!

Bikeroc, just ride your Vado 4.0!

"If you want to ride, you need to be riding" :)
I love this motto!
LOL, I will ride my Vado when it arrives! Specialized ships to LBS for assembly. Too much time between order and actual riding- thus, the continued contemplation and analysis. But between you, Jessy1 and Rene at Specialized, I’m free to just get excited about the 4.0!

I rode a 4.0 Vado (non-IGH) and a 5.0 Vado (IGH) yesterday at an LBS. I didn't notice a significant difference in power. Of course, this wasn't an "apples to apples" comparison because the 4.0 was the chain version and the 5.0 was the belt version. I also didn't notice a big difference in brakes, and I can tell you that if I get the 5.0, one of the first things I'll do is turn off the radar (at least the beeping part of it!). If I don't get the 5.0 IGH, I'll probably get the 4.0 that the LBS has.

Define big? In my region the 5.0 was only $400 more so well worth it for the uplift in spec.

Hi guys we’re Iam you cannot get the IGH on the Vado 4 .the gear range is better on the chain anyway it so tried and tested never had any trouble on all the bikes I’ve had.Have noticed bigger discounts on igh Vado 3 is the same price as chain drive just not the same demand I guess

Also factoring in you are buying two bikes I can see why you went the 4.0 route.

The 4.0 is an excellent bike you will not be disappointed, when is the delivery day?
I went the 4.0 route because 5.0s are no longer regularly available (except the IGH model) unless I really want to go on a hunt to find one in a far away shop willing to ship. I would have done that had I heard there was a big difference in the riding experience but, calling Specialized several times to discuss and posting here, I concluded that the difference in the ride would be " imperceptible" (Specialized word) and so not worth my effort to research where I can find one. I don't know yet when delivery day is- once my LBS receives it, they have to assemble and then arrange to deliver to me- can't wait!

I went the 4.0 route because 5.0s are no longer regularly available (except the IGH model) unless I really want to go on a hunt to find one in a far away shop willing to ship. I would have done that had I heard there was a big difference in the riding experience but, calling Specialized several times to discuss and posting here, I concluded that the difference in the ride would be " imperceptible" (Specialized word) and so not worth my effort to research where I can find one. I don't know yet when delivery day is- once my LBS receives it, they have to assemble and then arrange to deliver to me- can't wait!
"imperceptible (Specialized word)" Come on, they want to sell you what they have in stock! As long as your happy that's all that matters.

I don’t think so— the guy’s name is Rene and you can talk to him yourself. He was super detailed and candid and he has both bikes in his family. At the time I started talking to him there were 5.0s available. He was the first to make me reconsider getting the 4.0. The fork on the 4.0 is actually designed for gravel and works well on packed dirt He said I would notice the difference if I did a lot of rough trails in the woods- something I’m not inclined to do. He also said the difference in torque between the two bikes might be noticeable on the steepest of grades but in everyday use he has not noticed a difference in ride. By the way, he also steered my away from the IGH which they still have plenty of. I really like Specialized because my contact with them has felt very genuine and not hard sell or patronizing. And they seem to stand behind their bikes based on forum reports

I don’t think so— the guy’s name is Rene and you can talk to him yourself. He was super detailed and candid and he has both bikes in his family. At the time I started talking to him there were 5.0s available. He was the first to make me reconsider getting the 4.0. The fork on the 4.0 is actually designed for gravel and works well on packed dirt He said I would notice the difference if I did a lot of rough trails in the woods- something I’m not inclined to do. He also said the difference in torque between the two bikes might be noticeable on the steepest of grades but in everyday use he has not noticed a difference in ride. By the way, he also steered my away from the IGH which they still have plenty of. I really like Specialized because my contact with them has felt very genuine and not hard sell or patronizing. And they seem to stand behind their bikes based on forum reports
Don't let others tell you otherwise Bikeroc. I indeed support your purchase decision!

A good man in the LBS is a treasure. And I am a living example of a person who has always been getting more then fair treatment from Specialized and who has had the luck to be backed up by a good LBS with competent people there.

Recently, that LBS has employed a new man who is not exactly at the level with the others. I hope his colleagues will educate him. Or, I will. Or, he leaves 🤣

Back