Has anyone ridden both a Vado 4.0 and a Vado 5.0 and can compare?

Don't let others tell you otherwise Bikeroc. I indeed support your purchase decision!

A good man in the LBS is a treasure. And I am a living example of a person who has always been getting more then fair treatment from Specialized and who has had the luck to be backed up by a good LBS with competent people there.

Recently, that LBS has employed a new man who is not exactly at the level with the others. I hope his colleagues will educate him. Or, I will. Or, he leaves 🤣
Thank you for your encouraging comment. To be clear, Rene is not in my LBS but is part of the Specialzed customer support national line. I’m really sorry you have to deal with a difficult local rep- I have yet to find out what I am dealing with locally once my bike is ready. Wishing both of us luck!

Just to give you an example of different qualification and dedication of different LBS people. Mateusz or Kamil in Specialized Warsaw have always made me feel a VIP at the store. They could efficiency find parts or solutions, and I was offered with a 10% discount on anything expensive. For instance, the frame of my 2017 Vado 5.0 cracked and the motor died at the same time. The guys could negotiate the lifetime warranty with Specialized, and as the outcome, they rebuilt the e-bike from the scratch as a Vado 6.0 making it really expensive! I only had to pay for the new motor (one year post warranty) and even got a discount for that!

While the new man... He could not identify an essential electronic spare part for my Vado 6.0 because he even did not want to listen to me (his buddy Kamil did and could find the part easily). Then it comes to the payment. The new man says '1300'. I say 'Kamil said 1170'. Kamil comes in and shows the new man the "Discount" button in the cashier app 🤣 Then I ask the man to do the firmware update on my Vado SL and he comes with the "We do not service bikes on Saturdays". Kamil comes back and does the update...

Or the tech Tomek who is competent but always eager to learn new things!

Love the LBS. Hate incompetent and lazy employees!

I rode a 4.0 Vado (non-IGH) and a 5.0 Vado (IGH) yesterday at an LBS. I didn't notice a significant difference in power. Of course, this wasn't an "apples to apples" comparison because the 4.0 was the chain version and the 5.0 was the belt version. I also didn't notice a big difference in brakes, and I can tell you that if I get the 5.0, one of the first things I'll do is turn off the radar (at least the beeping part of it!). If I don't get the 5.0 IGH, I'll probably get the 4.0 that the LBS has.
Let us know what you get!

Just to give you an example of different qualification and dedication of different LBS people. Mateusz or Kamil in Specialized Warsaw have always made me feel a VIP at the store. They could efficiency find parts or solutions, and I was offered with a 10% discount on anything expensive. For instance, the frame of my 2017 Vado 5.0 cracked and the motor died at the same time. The guys could negotiate the lifetime warranty with Specialized, and as the outcome, they rebuilt the e-bike from the scratch as a Vado 6.0 making it really expensive! I only had to pay for the new motor (one year post warranty) and even got a discount for that!

While the new man... He could not identify an essential electronic spare part for my Vado 6.0 because he even did not want to listen to me (his buddy Kamil did and could find the part easily). Then it comes to the payment. The new man says '1300'. I say 'Kamil said 1170'. Kamil comes in and shows the new man the "Discount" button in the cashier app 🤣 Then I ask the man to do the firmware update on my Vado SL and he comes with the "We do not service bikes on Saturdays". Kamil comes back and does the update...

Or the tech Tomek who is competent but always eager to learn new things!

Love the LBS. Hate incompetent and lazy employees!
I hope the “ new man” finds the door very soon!

Don't let others tell you otherwise Bikeroc. I indeed support your purchase decision!

A good man in the LBS is a treasure. And I am a living example of a person who has always been getting more then fair treatment from Specialized and who has had the luck to be backed up by a good LBS with competent people there.

Recently, that LBS has employed a new man who is not exactly at the level with the others. I hope his colleagues will educate him. Or, I will. Or, he leaves 🤣
She is talking about a man at the end of the phone not her LBS, come on pay attention old man :)

I don’t think so— the guy’s name is Rene and you can talk to him yourself. He was super detailed and candid and he has both bikes in his family. At the time I started talking to him there were 5.0s available. He was the first to make me reconsider getting the 4.0. The fork on the 4.0 is actually designed for gravel and works well on packed dirt He said I would notice the difference if I did a lot of rough trails in the woods- something I’m not inclined to do. He also said the difference in torque between the two bikes might be noticeable on the steepest of grades but in everyday use he has not noticed a difference in ride. By the way, he also steered my away from the IGH which they still have plenty of. I really like Specialized because my contact with them has felt very genuine and not hard sell or patronizing. And they seem to stand behind their bikes based on forum reports
I have no interest in talking to somebody called Rene, as I said as long as your happy that's all the matters.

One thing you may not have considered is any load you may be carrying. A grocery shop for example can be very heavy and if you have to go uphill the more torque you have the better.

Last edited:
I have no interest in talking to somebody called Rene, as I said as long as your happy that's all the matters.
Well, then please don't bash someone you have had no contact with and with whom I have had several lengthy conversations- or my judgement.
One thing you may not have considered is any load you may be carrying. A grocery shop for example can be very heavy and if you have to go uphill the more torque you have the better.
Yes, of course I considered that and had confirmation from several sources that this bike can handle that as I am planning to use it for errands. If I was given a snow job by Specialized, as you implied, then at least I have 30 days to return it

Last edited:
I've had a Vado 5.0 IGH, it was a horrible bike but very intriguing (the technology), had Specialized refund mine and my wife's. I put on about 600 miles before ditching it.
I had a 2021 Vado 5.0 chain drive (had for a year, 5,200 miles nothing majorly wrong, great bike, had an opportunity to upgrade and did), the bike had me fall in love with Specialized
I now have a 2022 Vado 5.0 chain drive (NJ everyday bike) getting close to 5,000 in 12 months, absolutely love it, probably the very best bike I ever had, period
I also have 2020 Vado 4.0 chain drive (Florida/vacation bike), good bike, but it's not a 5.0, fun, available, got it for $1,300 with 143 or so miles, deal of a lifetime, couldn't say no
I had a Vado SL 5.0, put on 2500 miles, was an ok bike, (fitness bike), I'm too old and I had to work too hard, sold it
The IGH sucked (review my postings if interested in my opinion)
The lure of a Turbo Tero X 6.0 is there, but to me not worth the investment at this time, going to wait it out to see what is in store in the next year or 2
To me, I can sense the difference between a 4.0 and 5.0, torque, power, gearing, etc., so if you have a budget, great choice (the 4.0), if you want the best, go for the 5.0, you won't be sorry.

Well, then please don't bash someone you have had no contact with and with whom I have had several lengthy conversations- or my judgement.

Yes, of course I considered that and had confirmation from several sources that this bike can handle that as I am planning to use it for errands. If I was given a snow job by Specialized, as you implied, then at least I have 30 days to return it
I have not bashed him, or questioned your judgement.

Sorry, what is a "snow job"? Not sure what you are expecting from your new bike...:D

Sorry, what is a "snow job"? Not sure what you are expecting from your new bike...:D
Screenshot_20230630_051349_Chrome.jpg

I spoke to Specialized rep today who said in his riding experience there is really no discernible difference in the ride based on the motor - to get the 5.0 only if I want the built in radar and enhanced front fork. I would be interested in others' subjective ride experience comparing these two bikes. Thanks
Well, update I found a 5.0! So we are getting one of each- a 4.0 and a 5.0! Thanks everyone for the lively discussion

When is delivery? You have two great bikes on the way and you will not be disappointed!
Thank you! I will compare them for sure as a follow-up to this thread. Wouldn't it be ironic if I concluded that I should have just gotten two 4.0s? I think the 4.0 has landed and is being put together at LBS and the 5.0 might be a week out.

Thank you! I will compare them for sure as a follow-up to this thread. Wouldn't it be ironic if I concluded that I should have just gotten two 4.0s? I think the 4.0 has landed and is being put together at LBS and the 5.0 might be a week out.
Chill, don't get too excited and bypass the 5.0 opportunity, you'll be a happy camper waiting out those extra few days for it (the 5.0)

Do you have your 4.0 yet? Looking forward to your experiences.

Do you have your 4.0 yet? Looking forward to your experiences.
My husband picked up his 4.0 today and my 5.0 was ready a few hours later at a different shop. I rode home 15 miles in a mix of gravel and asphalt. So far, the bike is what I hoped for in terms of maintaining speed over various terrain giving me good exercise without being so grueling. I am hopeful that this bike can be a car substitute. I am not sure how i feel about the red bike with black fenders in real life but not a biggie. My only complaint really is the seat - I found it very uncomfortable- and I need to slide it back a bit, though I am afraid that that will put me in a less upright position in relation to the handlebars. I found the bike didn't fit me like a glove the way my Specialized road bike does. But I thought the shifting was super smooth and the ride really felt natural rather than motorized. One thing I noticed is the occasional feeling of drag on the back wheel- not sure if that's related to deceleration without braking. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my husband's 4.0. I was really happy with how fast I got home and how much energy I had left (both in me and the battery)!

My husband picked up his 4.0 today and my 5.0 was ready a few hours later at a different shop. I rode home 15 miles in a mix of gravel and asphalt. So far, the bike is what I hoped for in terms of maintaining speed over various terrain giving me good exercise without being so grueling. I am hopeful that this bike can be a car substitute. I am not sure how i feel about the red bike with black fenders in real life but not a biggie. My only complaint really is the seat - I found it very uncomfortable- and I need to slide it back a bit, though I am afraid that that will put me in a less upright position in relation to the handlebars. I found the bike didn't fit me like a glove the way my Specialized road bike does. But I thought the shifting was super smooth and the ride really felt natural rather than motorized. One thing I noticed is the occasional feeling of drag on the back wheel- not sure if that's related to deceleration without braking. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my husband's 4.0. I was really happy with how fast I got home and how much energy I had left (both in me and the battery)!
You should have no drag on the back wheel. This sounds like brake drag, this can be caused by decentring of the caliper and rotor, a stuck piston or expansion of the brake fluid. As it is a new bike I would get your LBS to check it out.

You should have no drag on the back wheel. This sounds like brake drag, this can be caused by decentring of the caliper and rotor, a stuck piston or expansion of the brake fluid. As it is a new bike I would get your LBS to check it out.
It's a sound advice!

My only complaint really is the seat - I found it very uncomfortable- and I need to slide it back a bit, though I am afraid that that will put me in a less upright position in relation to the handlebars. I found the bike didn't fit me like a glove the way my Specialized road bike does.
Please note that by sliding the saddle backwards you seem to be in the search for more Reach. That would put your body in a more aggressive position, and part of your body weight will be shifted off the saddle more onto the bars, making the saddle more comfortable. You mentioned Specialized road bikes: Was it not that you were really leaning forward on the bars there? That explains why you felt more comfortable on road bikes.

For me, the Bridge Sport (the same saddle you have in your Vado) is the most comfortable of all of my bike seats but I did a lot to increase the Reach on my both Turbo e-bikes to ride in a sporty position that shifts my body weight off the saddle! (each of my two Spec e-bikes had too short Reach as for me).

Back