Has anyone refused a FedX bike?

tlippy

How can you make FedX pay for damage? Haven't heard of anyone refusing a shipment when there's obvious damage.. Wonder what recourse we have.. It's not right to expect R1U to fix damaged shipments.

How can you make FedX pay for damage? Haven't heard of anyone refusing a shipment when there's obvious damage.. Wonder what recourse we have.. It's not right to expect R1U to fix damaged shipments.

Take pictures of the damage before you unbox and send to R1U and ask them how to proceed. That's what I would do...

Take pictures of the damage before you unbox and send to R1U and ask them how to proceed. That's what I would do...
That looks like the proper way to file a claim.. At least on the FedX website.. It's up to R1U to actually do the filing. I think I'll take pics and document any damage and then turn it over to R1U. I wonder if R1U insures the shipment?

Has anyone called Ride1up to see if they can ship via UPS? not sure if the handling during transit would be any better, or if there would be an additional charge to change carriers. Also, I assume the bikes are packaged in the country of origin and that if the packaging was damaged when it reached Ride1Up's distribution point in Nevada they would repack it before sending it on to the customer. So theoretically those with damaged packaging is only occuring on the last leg of travel.

It’s the same with UPS, when I received my Cube bike the chain was off the sprocket and cassette and several bent parts, would not even change gears, fixed by local shop and payed for by where I bought it.

R1U is the FedEx customer not you. So it has to be them who files the claim. R1U should get right on it for you,

R1U is the FedEx customer not you. So it has to be them who files the claim. R1U should get right on it for you,
I don't think FedEx owns their own trucks. I believe there are companies that buy trucks, have them painted FedEx brown and contract to ship with FedEx. Another layer of "I don't care"

Seems like you're borrowing a lot of trouble before your bike is even shipped to you.

Yes, FedEx Ground drivers are contractors and the route owner is responsible for the vehicle. Express and Freight are company owned vehicles. If you see a brown FedEx truck then maybe you should be worried...

The reality is that your bike box has probably not been kept carefully upright every moment of its several thousand mile journey from China to you. At some point, it's probably been put up on end and it has probably fallen on its side multiple times. How well the factory packaged the bike will have a much greater impact on its condition than how much the last person who delivers it to you 'cares'.

This speaks to the one advantage of buying at an LBS as they will "usually" make sure everything it put together properly.

This speaks to the one advantage of buying at an LBS as they will "usually" make sure everything is put together properly.

The keyword is usually... my local bike shop is now backlogged for 3-4 weeks. ;)

YES!!! Read what the seller does BEFORE buying. I learned with one bike direct dealer, that had I refused the damaged shipment from would charge return and shipping fees. It was up to me, the customer to sort the repairs.

As is our local Trek store, due to covid. However if I need a relatively quick fix, they will shoehorn me in right away, as I bought my bike there.

Same. With my non e-bike, they will try to get me in and out same day (if not time) as long as I give them a heads up before I go.

Back