Handlebar Style

phoenixtoohot

I just purchased a 500 with the riser handlebars and I'm leaned too forward and down ... putting too much stress on my wrists and palms for leisurely or distance rides. I'm 6'1",195 pounds and 75 years young. :)

Comments on the Cafe/Euro style appreciated, or other alternatives.

A) Cafe/Euro Style (90 deg sweep) b) Mustache style (rise and sweep)

1581296833827.png
1581297381296.png

Last edited:
I strongly recommend a mustache style bar with 45 degree backsweep and slightly wider than shoulder width; I favor the Velo Orange Postino (I'd go narrower but can't find one). If you hold a rod in your hand for maximum comfort and stability, you don't hold it perpendicular like a straight (MTB) bar, but at a ~45 angle (pic). This spreads the pressure across the palm of your hand, and just feels more natural. I have a bar like A and couldn't stand it, going to give it away.

And backsweep doesn't mean upright, if you have a longer stem/top tube to compensate.

Attachments

• 1581619722295.png
    1581619722295.png
    624.7 KB · Views: 433
Thanks Asher. I put a mustache on my 500 yesterday, pretty much like the picture above. I also put a 90 mm adjustable stem on, and set it at 60 degrees up. Perfect setup for me, and it works okay with the existing cables. It was a bear to get the handlebar grips off of the old bar.

1582641110472.png
1582641252175.png

Last edited:
Thanks PhoenixTooHot. I'm seriously considering the Ride1Up 500 series and I was originally planning on getting the cafe style handles bars as I don't want to be hunched over lie a mountain bike (bad back). I didn't realize just HOW FAR The cafe/Euro bars were swept back until I saw your photo. I'm now interested in getting a mustache style handle bar. Can you please let us know what brand/model handle bar (and stem) you installed on your 500 series pictured above?

Unfortunately, both are now listed as "unavailable". Paid $19.99 for the bars and $18.99 for the stem. Lots of similar options available on Amazon.

1588286079052.png
1588286157145.png

I use the Velo Orange Postino. Best mustache handlebar on the market IMO, since it's closest to shoulder width. (Though maybe there's one out there you could cut down to size and still have adequate handlebar room).

Thanks Asher. I took a look at the Velo Orange Postino. They look nice, but I'm thinking a want something with some vertical rise. I've got a bulging disc in my back, so i'm thinking a bit more upright riding style would be preferred. I was a little confused when you said they were "closest to shoulder width". Were you saying the Velo Orange are wider than most or narrower than most other mustache handle bars? I'm not a big framed guy, (5' 6") so I expect my shoulder width is a little narrower than average.

Thanks Asher. I took a look at the Velo Orange Postino. They look nice, but I'm thinking a want something with some vertical rise. I've got a bulging disc in my back, so i'm thinking a bit more upright riding style would be preferred. I was a little confused when you said they were "closest to shoulder width". Were you saying the Velo Orange are wider than most or narrower than most other mustache handle bars? I'm not a big framed guy, (5' 6") so I expect my shoulder width is a little narrower than average.

Narrower than most. They have other bars with some rise but otherwise similar shape.

For some reason all the bars are too wide for optimal ergonomics, as you'd employ in say a bench press or pushup. Drop bars on road bikes are around 40cm, though a few centimeters of the difference is due to holding your palms vertically.

I'm average to above average in shoulder width and even Postino as the narrowest bar could lose 2-5 cm for my taste.

Back