Handlebar lengths

piper109

I have just measured the length of the handlebars on my new Haibike Trekking and seen they are 29" long (736 mm). Measuring the 25 year old Barracuda mountain bike I have been using since new I see the bars are 20" long. My wife's Raleigh has bars that are 24".
I can understand them being a bit longer and I know that some people shorten them, but for them to be 9" longer than my old mountain bike ??? Why ???
What is the advantage of having bars 9" longer ?? What have I been missing all these years I wonder.

Is there a scientific way of knowing the best length or is it based on a gut feeling LOL.

I have just measured the length of the handlebars on my new Haibike Trekking and seen they are 29" long (736 mm). Measuring the 25 year old Barracuda mountain bike I have been using since new I see the bars are 20" long. My wife's Raleigh has bars that are 24".
I can understand them being a bit longer and I know that some people shorten them, but for them to be 9" longer than my old mountain bike ??? Why ???
What is the advantage of having bars 9" longer ?? What have I been missing all these years I wonder.

Is there a scientific way of knowing the best length or is it based on a gut feeling LOL.

"When it comes to mountain bike handlebars, wider is better. They offer you more control, easier breathing and better positioning for balance. This makes you more stable and slower to fatigue."

Source:
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/article/mountain-bike-handlebars-the-width-issue-34169/

It has nothing to do with riding. The room is needed to mount all the gadgets for a modern e-bike enthusiast.

-1 inch for the thumb throttle.
-1 inch for the button controller used with most LCD's.
-4 inches for your LCD.
-1 inch for a bell
-3 inches for a smart phone cradle
-8 inches for grips
-2 inches for brakes
-2 inches for shifters

Yikes, That's 22 inches already. Where will I put the dash cam and headlites? And if you're a 2WD tinkerer, there's an extra throttle.

It has nothing to do with riding. The room is needed to mount all the gadgets for a modern e-bike enthusiast.

-1 inch for the thumb throttle.
-1 inch for the button controller used with most LCD's.
-4 inches for your LCD.
-1 inch for a bell
-3 inches for a smart phone cradle
-8 inches for grips
-2 inches for brakes
-2 inches for shifters

Yikes, That's 22 inches already. Where will I put the dash cam and headlites? And if you're a 2WD tinkerer, there's an extra throttle.

or look for other similar drvices.
https://www.google.com/search?q=han...MaKvxF-lK6VDHMc5CoSCas0z6AxtIl0ESqV7C7nTHf8&*

Last edited:
Nice product., but he's using a crappy bell. I've had one like it. The tone is flat.

Bought a 10" extension bar on ebay for $10. Should get here in April from China. It will let me hang a bag on the handlebars, out in front of the gear/shifter cables and ebike wires.

The way I learned to size handlebars correctly from many years of riding off-road motorcycles is to do several push ups. Measure the distance span between the outside of your hands at the position that gives you the best stance and power. This is supposed to be the best width of your handbars that will also account for your shoulder width, arm strength, etc.
Arbitrarily assuming wider is better is not correct. It may be outside your best strength position and depending on your shoulder width and arm length may bring you much to far forward and your chest too close to the bars.

My Haibike Trekking has the same wide handlebars that you have the SL. I find it more comfortable than some of my older bikes.
It could be trimmed a little bit and it would be little easier to maneuver in the cities. But what I like most is the 2" rise.

Consensus seems to think its good :) Biggest problem I have is when I have to put the bike away. Some doorways are difficult to get the wide bars through. I will go with the flow and get used to it I guess.

When I first got my Haibike AllMtn Plus I knew that the handlebars were too wide. They felt uncomfortable. So I had my dealer cut off one inch from each side. I went riding for a couple of days, and they still felt uncomfortable. Off another inch each side! My off-road riding is not so technical and extreme that I miss the extra leverage. City riding is easier, and maneuverability in garage storage much better. My other non-electric bikes (road and mountain) have narrow bars. which I prefer.

It might not be too bad. I wouldn't worry until you get the bike and see if there really is a problem. I have found a way to get one end of the bars in by turning the steering a bit, lean a bit, then turning the steering a little in the other direction and a little lean, enables the bike to go through the doorways. I have put a "mirrycle" on the left side and even that goes through.
Earlier I saw that I could cut up to 50 mm off each side and not miss it anyway but I have backed out of that plan after reading the comments and been through the doorway a few times. Cutting that much off would bring my Trekking SL to 636 mm overall width.
If you live in an "immeuble" I could imagine it being a little challenging.

735 was WAY too wide for me on my Trekking SL and I didn't feel comfortable doing an accurate cut, so I bought a 670 Ritchey bar with the same rise. Perfect.

Tubing cutter works nice for trimming handlebars. No sharp edges. Also get rid of those friction rubber grips. Put on grips that use allen head screw clamps.

Back