Handle bar Stem riser

Silvercat

Hi,
Have a Moscow Plus 29 inch and at 6’3 find I have wrists pain with rides over about 12 miles or 20 km. Has anyone any experience using a stem riser on a Moscow Plus? The centre C7 display cable does not have much slack, thereby limiting rise to possibly 2 inches. Brake cables have more slack.
Would appreciate any suggestions regarding whether a rise of 1 to 2 inches would be worth it. Also, any particular brand?
Seems that it would be an easy installation.
Have read where increased handlebar height will result in less front tire grip. But, would an inch or two in height increase really make that point realistic?
Thanks and safe riding to all!

I'm not familiar with the Moscow but my wrist discomfort was all but eliminated with these five items:
1 - Stem riser did indeed make a difference (Unfortunately, I can't help with the fit on your Moscow)
2 - Replaced handlebars with a set that is swept back 45 degrees.
3 - replaced the OEM grips with the ergonomic type.
4 - Bought a good pair of padded riding gloves.
5 - I got the most relief however from a Redshift suspension stem:

716VJ8ZL9yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If the slack in your display cable will permit, Redshift also makes a model with a 30 degree rise which will also raise the bars around 2 inches.

Keep in mind every rider & bike is different. What works for some may not for all. The above is simply what worked for me.

Hopefully, someone will offer suggestions more specific to your bike.

I'm not familiar with the Moscow but my wrist discomfort was all but eliminated with these five items:
1 - Stem riser did indeed make a difference (Unfortunately, I can't help with the fit on your Moscow)

View attachment 80487

If the slack in your display cable will permit, Redshift also makes a model with a 30 degree rise which will also raise the bars around 2 inches.

Keep in mind every rider & bike is different. What works for some may not for all. The above is simply what worked for me.

Did first 4 of the 5... I concur Big improvement.

View attachment 80487

Thank you!
I purchased a Satori stem riser from a local high end bike shop today. $35. plus $10. installation (about 15 minutes). Could easily have installed myself but for $10.00 thought it best to let bike pros do it.
Installed at half way re height. About 2 inches with another 2 inch rise possible. Will likely increase to max height as that is the only way to determine comfort level.
My mistake...not that centre display cable but brake cables re max height increase. Got lucky as enough slack to max height is possible.
Thanks again!

Hi,
Have a Moscow Plus 29 inch and at 6’3 find I have wrists pain with rides over about 12 miles or 20 km. Has anyone any experience using a stem riser on a Moscow Plus? The centre C7 display cable does not have much slack, thereby limiting rise to possibly 2 inches. Brake cables have more slack.
Would appreciate any suggestions regarding whether a rise of 1 to 2 inches would be worth it. Also, any particular brand?
Seems that it would be an easy installation.
Have read where increased handlebar height will result in less front tire grip. But, would an inch or two in height increase really make that point realistic?
Thanks and safe riding to all!
I am a little wary of adjustable risers, having had one fail spectacularly with painful results... I swapped my stock riser out for a shorter (35mm) one, and actually removed my thinnest spacer, and found just having my handlebars a couple of inches closer took a lot of pressure off my hands, not having to lean forward as much. It also made steering easier, with the handlebars as forward as they were, I felt like I was steering a doubledecker bus lol.

Back