Handle bar mirrors for Explore E+ 1

Acadiandad

Curious if anyone has a good solution for a handle bar mounted mirror for the Explore E+ 1 GTS (which comes with the small bar ends) ?

I like the idea of a mirror which mounts at end of the handle bar but then I find I am making a lot of use of the bar ends during my commute to change hand positions and avoid numbing ... is there a clamp on mirror people are happy with ?

Always had handlebar mirror until E+1. No room. They convinced me to try a helmet mirror. Took some getting used to, but its fine now. Must adjust almost every ride but good rear vision. Incidentally, E+1 just about best handlebar grips ever. Too bad I had to pay almost 4 grand to get them. LOL. Never gonna trade this magic carpet of a bike. Never had so many bikegasms.

Always had handlebar mirror until E+1. No room. They convinced me to try a helmet mirror. Took some getting used to, but its fine now. Must adjust almost every ride but good rear vision. Incidentally, E+1 just about best handlebar grips ever. Too bad I had to pay almost 4 grand to get them. LOL. Never gonna trade this magic carpet of a bike. Never had so many bikegasms.

Which helmet mirror are you using?

Its called "CYCLEAWARE". I was whining about my mirror missing and one of the bike mechs stuck this thing on the side of my helmet. First couple of days i decided it would never work, but it has fit into my life quite well. As mentioned, u have to adjust it almost every time you put it on, but it is easy to do and gives you good vision to the rear.

I just ordered what's probably the last remaining Explore E+ 1 GTS with a small frame size left in Canada. Have to have it shipped cross Canada and with luck I'll have it in about 10 days.

Anyway, are the handlebar grips different on the E+1 than what's on the E+3 do you know? I have never seen an E+1 in real life but I did manage to borrow an E+3 for a day and I found those grips surprisingly comfortable. Maybe they're the same as on the E+1.

Bikegasms on the E+1? I can hardly wait! :)

the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS (in Canada anyway) has the grips shown below

IMG_7567.JPG

the 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS (in Canada anyway) has the grips shown below

View attachment 36039

Part of that looks like cork! Is it some kind of rubber? These do look different (maybe it's the color) from the E+ 3 that I tried. Is that the RideControl EVO?

Have you had it long? Are you happy with it?

(I hope so, because I just ordered one!)

Part of that looks like cork! Is it some kind of rubber? These do look different (maybe it's the color) from the E+ 3 that I tried. Is that the RideControl EVO?

Have you had it long? Are you happy with it?

(I hope so, because I just ordered one!)

I love it - TBH I have not had a higher quality bike before so the components on this bike are so much nicer than anything I've ridden. Shifting is just so crisp and clean compared to what I was used to and the disk brakes have a ton of power. I did defeat the speed limiter (eek) as I found I was bouncing off the 32 kph limit too often and it's kind of annoying. So far, I have been using the bike exclusively for my 18.5 km commute (each way) and even with lots of assist, I get a heck of a workout (HR upto 160 for much of the ride) … I find as I dial the assist up, I just end up riding faster, I still get my heart pumping fast.

The grips are like a cork / rubber composite (not sure if its real cork) - but I find them very comfortable. I did need to play with the up-down rotation of the handle bar to get an angle which didn't cock my wrists too much that I was getting numb - but it was a dead simple adjustment to make and its been good since.

I added a suspension seat post which made a heck of a difference on the roads I ride. The only negative I found is the front forks were losing air for the first few rides - but this seems to have stabilized now - maybe the seals were starved of oil. But I do suggest you get a high pressure air pump so you can adjust the front forks if you aren't really close to your LBS.

I love it - TBH I have not had a higher quality bike before so the components on this bike are so much nicer than anything I've ridden. Shifting is just so crisp and clean compared to what I was used to and the disk brakes have a ton of power. I did defeat the speed limiter (eek) as I found I was bouncing off the 32 kph limit too often and it's kind of annoying. So far, I have been using the bike exclusively for my 18.5 km commute (each way) and even with lots of assist, I get a heck of a workout (HR upto 160 for much of the ride) … I find as I dial the assist up, I just end up riding faster, I still get my heart pumping fast.

The grips are like a cork / rubber composite (not sure if its real cork) - but I find them very comfortable. I did need to play with the up-down rotation of the handle bar to get an angle which didn't cock my wrists too much that I was getting numb - but it was a dead simple adjustment to make and its been good since.

I added a suspension seat post which made a heck of a difference on the roads I ride. The only negative I found is the front forks were losing air for the first few rides - but this seems to have stabilized now - maybe the seals were starved of oil. But I do suggest you get a high pressure air pump so you can adjust the front forks if you aren't really close to your LBS.

Good stuff!!!! Thanks for the review. I'd borrowed an E+ 3 for a day and did my commute with it (total 60+ km) and I thought it was great. I did the ride in using ECO+ mode only, and used Normal and Sport on the way back and I'd only used about 60% of the battery. And the E+ 3 only has a 400w battery! I'm sure I'm going to love the E+ 1 GTS!

I also did hit the 32 kph limit a couple of times with the E+ 1, particularly when going downhill and then I felt a sudden drag on the pedals. Do you know what I'm talking about? Should I have turned the assist to the OFF position for that, so that I could pedal faster without the drag? My LBS didn't know what I was talking about.

Does defeating the speed limiter involve something other than moving the magnet from the rear wheel? I hope there's another way because I'd like to keep the RideControl EVO reporting distance and speed correctly.

My current commuting bike has no suspension at all, and I'm managing just fine. But cycling always was my sport when I was younger (I'm 67 now). My mountain bike has full front and rear suspension. So I doubt very much if I'll want to add a suspension seat post. But the front suspension is very nice. I'll keep an eye on the air pressure. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as being close to my LBS (you mentioned for adjusting the air in the suspension), I'm afraid that's not going to be the case for me. I'm a big fan of supporting the LBS and all things being equal I would have loved to have bought from him. But he's a generic bike shop, carrying several brands, including Giant. He has been unable to get me any info so far on the 2020 models. I had to get that from official Giant (only) dealers and the web. And when it came to buying my bike, there was not a single one with small frame available anywhere within a day or two of car driving distance. I ended up buying my bike 3,650 km away (according to Google Maps) because it was one of the only two left anywhere in Canada. It was either buy that and have it shipped, or place an order for a 2020 and wait until spring. Our riding season ends pretty early here in Montreal and the genuine Giant dealers were telling me mid to late October for a FastRoad E+ EX Pro (which I wasn't crazy about because of the smaller wheels/tires, lack of front suspension and much smaller 375w battery), and the best Explore model for Canada for 2020 is the E+ 2, with lower quality components than the 2019 E+ 1. So I had to buy from a dealer so far away.

Now I'm going to be reluctant to go to the LBS for anything about the new bike.

I guess I'll have the new bike in about 10 days or so. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

I also did hit the 32 kph limit a couple of times with the E+ 1, particularly when going downhill and then I felt a sudden drag on the pedals. Do you know what I'm talking about? Should I have turned the assist to the OFF position for that, so that I could pedal faster without the drag? My LBS didn't know what I was talking about.

Does defeating the speed limiter involve something other than moving the magnet from the rear wheel? I hope there's another way because I'd like to keep the RideControl EVO reporting distance and speed correctly.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Turning assist off won't help - that drag isn't any real drag - its simply that all of a sudden you are having to provide the full power to the drive chain without any assistance from the motor. So it feels like suddenly you have an extra load.

There are a few ways to defeat the speed limiter - they all involve the controller getting a lower "speed" input so that it doesn't throttle you at the real 32 kph.

1) some people disconnect the sensor from the frame and flip it around to face the pedal and then attach a magnet to the pedal - so the speed sensor is now seeing pedal cadence instead of wheel cadence
- free but not quite so easy to reverse if you do need to swap back
- also, the speed and distance readouts on the RideControl computer (speed and distance) will depend what gear you are in

2) there is a product you can buy which snaps over the sensor - then you remove the wheel magnet provided by Giant and instead use a magnet provided by the people who make this box (different mag field shape)
- this box sends one pulse to the sensor for every 2nd revolution of the wheel - so it results in the bike seeing exactly 1/2 of the real speed - so you still have a meaningful readout, but its off by a fixed factor of 2

3) I believe there are other more invasive aftermarket enhancement boxes that splice into the wiring of the controller - some of these let you control whether the feature is enabled or not from the controls of the bike
- when activated I believe they are essentially doing same as 2) but you can disable the feature if you are in an area where someone might care to check your bike out …
- this mod would also be more involved to revert if needed

I went with option 2)

cheers

Last edited:
@Acadiandad @popcatalin

After two days with my new Explore E+1 GTS, I'm really frustrated with the 32kph (Canadian) limit. Last night on my commute home, I was almost constantly cranking away HIGHER than 32 kph and the felt resistance then is really bothersome. (Good exercise though.) I'm a fast cyclist and my legs are very strong and even with my non-electric clunker commuting bike I regularly average about 25kph. That's average... there are several gravel sections where I go slower and a bunch of traffic lights and intersections where I have to stop or slow down, so on the flat I'm easily hitting over 30kph. And on my pure road bike (carbon fibre frame and finger width tires) I'm much much faster, but I don't commute on that as there is no rack or fenders and I wouldn't want to ride on gravel with it.

Bottom line is that I'm ordering a "SpeedBox2 for Giant 2019" I got confirmation from the company last night that it will indeed work on my bike and I'm getting one. I don't know yet how they're going to ship it, but with luck I should have it in a couple of weeks. And of course I'll report back how it goes.

I'm pretty sure it won't hurt battery life either. Oh, btw, I was riding over 32kph last night using only ECO and ECO+ mode.

Can you provide more details about option 2. I am also interested in doing that.

The product I installed is called a "BadAss Box" - https://www.badassebikes.com/en/

essentially it makes the controller think its going 1/2 the speed that it is and so it doesn't cut off the assist. I've been using it for a while now and I have had no issues so far. If I want to push things in Sport+ mode, my average speed is way up (no more limiting at 32kph) but even in ECO or ECO+, it makes for a more enjoyable ride on the flats or downhill sections as you don't "bounce" off the 32 kph assist limit then. Battery consumption is higher if you are looking for assist at higher speeds … just goes to reason … but it doesn't inherently worsen consumption on its own.

The product I installed is called a "BadAss Box" - https://www.badassebikes.com/en/

essentially it makes the controller think its going 1/2 the speed that it is and so it doesn't cut off the assist. I've been using it for a while now and I have had no issues so far. If I want to push things in Sport+ mode, my average speed is way up (no more limiting at 32kph) but even in ECO or ECO+, it makes for a more enjoyable ride on the flats or downhill sections as you don't "bounce" off the 32 kph assist limit then. Battery consumption is higher if you are looking for assist at higher speeds … just goes to reason … but it doesn't inherently worsen consumption on its own.

That BadAss Box gizmo... it affects what your computer displays for speed and distance, doesn't it? And while it seems it might be a lot easier to install than the SpeedBox2, it's not cheaper enough to buy (at least for me) instead of the SpeedBox2. I've just ordered the SpeedBox2 with rush delivery and with luck, I'll have it next week. The installation isn't all that tough, but the motor casing does need to be opened. The main advantage to me is that the bike's computer will continue to show the real speed and distance. And the SpeedBox2 can be enabled/disabled from the RideControl controller. Including VAT (which would be removed for shipment out of the EU) there is only 30 Euros difference in price. Worth the difference for me.

That BadAss Box gizmo... it affects what your computer displays for speed and distance, doesn't it? And while it seems it might be a lot easier to install than the SpeedBox2, it's not cheaper enough to buy (at least for me) instead of the SpeedBox2. I've just ordered the SpeedBox2 with rush delivery and with luck, I'll have it next week. The installation isn't all that tough, but the motor casing does need to be opened. The main advantage to me is that the bike's computer will continue to show the real speed and distance. And the SpeedBox2 can be enabled/disabled from the RideControl controller. Including VAT (which would be removed for shipment out of the EU) there is only 30 Euros difference in price. Worth the difference for me.

Yes, the one I used changes speed and distance displayed on the bike display - I use my iPhone with the Wahoo app to display HR and GPS based speed and distance anyway and I find its simple enough to 2x the speed shown on the bike display if I don't have my phone with me (but, yes, the bike odometer is going to be off). For me, the tradeoff of being able to reverse the mod in about 2 minutes was worth it (eg. if I am bringing bike in to Giant for service, etc.).

Are you sure the SpeedBox2 still displays correct speed and odometer readings when active ? I'm not sure how it could do that without basically taking over full control of the display but I suppose anything is possible these days with a microcontroller.

Yes, the one I used changes speed and distance displayed on the bike display - I use my iPhone with the Wahoo app to display HR and GPS based speed and distance anyway and I find its simple enough to 2x the speed shown on the bike display if I don't have my phone with me (but, yes, the bike odometer is going to be off). For me, the tradeoff of being able to reverse the mod in about 2 minutes was worth it (eg. if I am bringing bike in to Giant for service, etc.).

Are you sure the SpeedBox2 still displays correct speed and odometer readings when active ? I'm not sure how it could do that without basically taking over full control of the display but I suppose anything is possible these days with a microcontroller.

Their website says "The speed limiter is suppressed and all the values on the display are presented in actual values." So yes, the correct speed and odometer readings will be displayed. For me that was worth the less than 30 Euros difference (once VAT is removed).

Their website says "The speed limiter is suppressed and all the values on the display are presented in actual values." So yes, the correct speed and odometer readings will be displayed.

Cool - that would be nice to have the ODOM, etc. correct - the install doesn't look too scary but certainly not the sort of thing you can revert in 5 minutes. Hope it works well for you ! 👍

Cool - that would be nice to have the ODOM, etc. correct - the install doesn't look too scary but certainly not the sort of thing you can revert in 5 minutes. Hope it works well for you ! 👍

Yeah, you can't revert it in 5 minutes, but you can disable it (returning it to normal) in seconds. This isn't a show stopper for me. Especially since I expect to do most of the servicing myself. Unless of course the drive needs something special. Which I know nothing about.

Back