Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

Hey Guys- I would like to sincerely thank everyone for all of the 'Likes' I have received and for changing my status to 'Well Known Member'!:p

Hi everybody!

Well I thought I'd introduce myself here as a new Urban Plus owner. What's funny is I was just about to take the plunge on the Voltbike Yukon and then I decided to take a look on Amego's website and saw the deal on the Haibike.

One review later ( thanks Court) and a quick glance on this forum and the order was in!

After a few hundreds km I can just say I love that bike and I use it more and more to move around in Montreal, even took it a few times to go to work.

So far no major issues with the bike or the cobi system. Everything has been great. Even replaced the stem with a Revelo ThinStem (top notch) and some Wellgo folding pedals (not the best) to make it easy for storage.

All in all it needed a few adjustments here and there in the past 2 months.

Went through 2 firmware updates without a itch (even last one) using an iPhone 8.

Anyway will report here whenever I find something interesting!

Attachments

• 7BC3BC4C-CE0E-42D1-80C2-4A9DD9BB11C8.jpeg
    7BC3BC4C-CE0E-42D1-80C2-4A9DD9BB11C8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 596
I haven't updated in quite a while. My bike has been performing well. I've put about 1700kms on it. In fact, we bought a second one for my wife. What prompted me to post was my first flat rear tire a few days ago. With the mid-drive and the quick release wheels, it was SO EASY to repair.

My previous ebike (rear hub motor) had electrical connections and nuts and bolts and more bolts securing the rear wheel. Things had to be aligned 'just so' for removal and reinstallation. Just to get the wheel off took several different tools and about 10 minutes.

With the Urban Plus it was just unscrew, pop off, fix, pop on, screw on, go - 1/10 the time.

I'm used to the cobi system now, but I only use it for basic cycling info - not the navigation. Google maps is far superior. The front light is adequate for my work commute when dark, and the rear brake light is great. The brake light makes it so much easier to gauge the speed and distance between the bikes when cycling with my wife single file.

I get about 80 km between charges and then I usually have about 20% battery left. Probably 70km of that 80 km is on the lowest assist setting. Of course the range would be less on the higher settings. Assist level 1 and 2 still require the rider to do most of the work. There is a big assistance jump for levels 3 and 4 of assist.

My only complaint is the non-standard short mircousb to lightning cable that connects my iphone to the cobi system. I've lost mine and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. The shortest cable I can find online is 12 inches so I will have to order that one and make do.

Overall, the Urban plus has been a great bike.

Has anybody got a flat tire on his bike yet? I just got my first one and was wondering if the tires are tubeless or have a tube in the? I would like to have a tube ready before I start taking it apart if I need it

Has anybody got a flat tire on his bike yet? I just got my first one and was wondering if the tires are tubeless or have a tube in the? I would like to have a tube ready before I start taking it apart if I need it

The stock wheels/tyres are tubed.

Hi, I bought a Haibike Urban Plus back in January 2019, the bike was working with no problems until 2 days ago, when I was riding the motor out of the sudden start making a much louder buzz than usual making the whole bicycle vibrate to the point that I can feel the vibration all over my body specially in my hands and feet also making the Cobi.bike display shake a little, when I engage the crank the battery light and the buzzing sound goes on sometimes taking a few seconds for the motor to start working and I couldn't get higher than 23 m/h, on the diganostics section under inspection on mybike settings (cobi.bike) shows zero errors
The speed sensor, the battery and the cobi.bike system seem to be working properly.
I'm in Key West FL and there's not ebike shops where I can take it for a check out.
If anyone has any suggestions please reply this post. Thank you in advance!

I wish I had better news than what I am about to tell you.
The Urban Plus has been abandoned by Haibike. TranzX US refuses to to deal directly with the consumer regarding the bike. I have one and I was finally able to get a service motor for it. The new motor has also died.
Your specific bike sounds like it has a bearing issue. The motor is not serviceable and is a replace-only unit. I have the old one torn down hoping to service the one way clutch and found this out.

Either bite the bullet and buy a new motor or replace it with another brand motor and modify the frame for it to fit.

I wish I had better news. Good luck

Thank you FlightService, I sent an Email to Haibike as soon as that happened (a couple days ago) and haven't got any answers yet and for what you are saying I'm not going to have one!

Do you know where I maybe able to buy a new motor and how much it will cost $... or do you have any idea if someone had done the motor swap successfully and what kind of motor do they used?

I also heard about a tranzx Logix diagnostic tool that some shops have and they use a software to dignost and fix some problems on Tranzx m25gts and other motors, did you ever hear anything about that?

Hey Man thank you very much for your time!

You can do a google search and track down the LogiX software but you also need a dongle. The dongle is the more difficult piece. Currie builds a mid-drive with the TranzX motor. You might find one there. I was quoted $900 for a motor from Diamondback. They took over Haibike’s US domestic service.

I was looking at motors today. This is gonna require actual fabrication to mount any new motor to that frame. I know you have a few welding shops in Key West for the boats. I am thinking a bafang M620. I figure if I am gonna build a Franken-bike I might as well go big. Looking around $600 but at least it is supported.

Oh I forgot in my earlier post that Cobi.bike, since it is now a Bosch company, no longer supports the TranzX motor.

Also another heads up. Diamondbacks customer service is poorly staffed as of the first of the year. Leif is one of them and a great guy and does what he can. They just can only do so much.

So to recap:

The Urban Plus has been abandoned by Haibike on the dealer site information and in the service information. As in information has been removed. This is from a former Haibike service rep.

Haibike and its sister companies only made two models with the TranzX motors and stopped both (we only got the Urban Plus in the states)

Haibike has left the states as an OEM and has sold distribution and service here to Diamondback’s parent company. The Diamondback brand is handling service. They have little experience with brand right now.

Cobi.bike has abandoned support for the TranzX motor (per an email I received from Cobi.bike support in Europe)

It’s too bad. I loved this bike.

Lesson learned: Either be able to support your bike yourself or don’t do an ebike because even a well established brand will abandon you.

That is really crazy, and the dealers kept selling them knowing all about the lack of support because they needed to make back all the money they invested in the bikes! There's have to be some regulations or a least some standards to follow for two well known companies like Haibike and Bosch (Cobi.bike) they just can't "abandon" and let people pretty much with good looking P/S.
I think I gona sell it as is or brake it down an sell it for parts.

That is really crazy, and the dealers kept selling them knowing all about the lack of support because they needed to make back all the money they invested in the bikes! There's have to be some regulations or a least some standards to follow for two well known companies like Haibike and Bosch (Cobi.bike) they just can't "abandon" and let people pretty much with good looking P/S.
I think that’s a cool bike, and I almost bought one when the 2017s were on sale. I’m glad I didn’t, but if I had, and I had a motor problem, it seems it would be worth it to pay $900 for a new one? Unless they just have a high rate of early failure.

You could replace it with a Giant Fastroad EX (very similar I think?) but that’s $3500.

Sorry to hear of your problem. Perhaps this guy still has the motor he was selling last year for $300.

Cobi.bike still supports the Cobi.bike for Tranzx, but technically they just recognize it as a pedal bike version.

I've emailed Cobi.bike a couple times over the years and they have always been helpful. Once when I contacted them about the power watt meter no longer working in my app, the support rep even checked with a programmer to see what happened. That's when I learned that Cobi treats the Tranzx motor like a regular pedal bike. They removed the power watt meter "guestimate" feature from the pedal bikes because it was grossly inaccurate . I guess there must be some kind of special customization to interface with the tranzx system to charge the cobi, read cadence/ speed and control the power assist levels. Bosch bikes still have the power watt meter readingin Cobi which comes directly from the motor.

Did you buy used, a bike store or from the Haibike online store? The Haibike warranty is supposed to be executed through the dealer as far as I remember.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Raceto, I contacted the guy earlier today and the motor has been sold I'm trying to ask him where he bought it from but haven't get an answer yet.
I bought the bike at Amegos bike shop in Toronto Canada, it was the floor model in very good shape like new and it has been working great for the last year and a half, I haven't contacted them yet but I will try. If the motor is around $900 dollars I think is not worth it I will rather put that money down for a new bike and sell the bike for parts (battery, cobi.bike system, cables, sensors, hydraulic brakes,fenders, racks,cranks,etc....)

Contact Amego then, I'm in Toronto and that's where I bought it from, very good shopping experience and nice people.

Amego bought most of the North American stock of the Urban Plus and very well may have some spare motors for warranty issues .

I know they are very busy right now and possibly short staffed but it's worth calling them.

Your bike is still under warranty (2 years warranty) and somehow this needs to be honored even if Haibike Germany has to send a new motor.

Call Amego: 1 416 907 4922

Cheers

What a coincidence! Yes very nice people at Amego specially Virginia she's a beautiful young lady; I'll call them have nothing to lose anyway.
Thank you! Will keep you posted.

Hi Guys my bike got fixed!

I sent a technical support request to Haibike explaining what was wrong with the bicycle, about 3 weeks later I got an email from Haibike saying

Mauricio:
Sounds like there may be a connectivity or voltage issue between the battery and motor.
We recommend a diagnostic test, testing the battery for voltage and testing for voltage to the motor,
making sure the battery is good, we have good solid voltage numbers to the motor.
A diagnostic test may reveal any other issues.
Let us know what is found.
Thank you and best regards,

Leif Fleming.

I took the battery off and checked the voltage, the voltage was good, then I took the controller off to check for voltage to the motor and opened up the controller to look for the hot wires and I found a short circuit in the controller box, the yellow phase cable and all around it has significant burn marks including the green phase cable insulation.
The controller box is the:
AA508011626
CN32QT
R3 48V
17C01249

Mr Fleming immediately ordered and got a discount for me, the part it was $199.00 after the discount = $135.00 with taxes and shipping and handling with FedEx, 3 days later the part got delivered, installed the controller and everything back together, took it for a spin and is working like the first day (smooth quiet and fast).
Thanks to Mr Fleming, Haibike Technical Support and Alta Cycling Group LLC.

I hope this information could be helpful for someone having the same problems with their Urban Plus Bike.

20200709_010437.jpg
20200709_010616.jpg
20200709_012313.jpg

Hi Guys my bike got fixed!

I sent a technical support request to Haibike explaining what was wrong with the bicycle, about 3 weeks later I got an email from Haibike saying

Mr Fleming immediately ordered and got a discount for me, the part it was $199.00 after the discount = $135.00 with taxes and shipping and handling with FedEx,
3 days later the part got delivered, installed the controller and everything back together, took it for a spin and is working like the first day (smooth quiet and fast). Thanks to Mr Fleming, Haibike Technical Support and Alta Cycling Group LLC.

I hope this information could be helpful for someone having the same problems with their Urban Plus Bike.
View attachment 59412View attachment 59413View attachment 59414

Glad you got the controller issue fixed... and nice to know that Haibike stood behind their product.

Last edited:
Back