GX option - Smart Sam Plus or Big Ben Plus?

little_harry

With the 2020 models from R&M you have the GX option, where you get a upgrade on bars and pedals. You will also get a tier "upgrade" from Big Ben Plus to Smart Sam Plus.

But if you use the bike on tarmac 5 days a week and on gravel 1 day a week, isn't the Big Ben Plus the best tier for that situation? Both has the puncture protection layer so it's only the grip that is the difference. Do I miss anything?

I would stick with the Big Ben Plus. I always recommend optimizing for the most use scenario. you could always swap later if you find the Big Ben’s aren’t performing well enough on the gravel. I suspect you’ll be fine though.

Chris is right, as always, better try and then change after you tested your real needs and bike response on your usual paths.

Big Ben Plus seems really similar to Super Moto X, i bought a Supercharger 2018 with Super Moto X, then after some months swapped to Racing Ralph and Racing Ray, cross country tires, because of their better off road grip with a very fantastic silent rolling (better than smart sam of course) on tarmac too. Less protection but no flats if you add a mousse or an internal protective layer. I really love them and I'm sure to have found what I was looking for.

My experience with Super Moto X , similar to your tires, is not so positive: too big, bulky, heavy and not so good in rolling for a demi slick tire. Yes they are super durable and protected.

Smart Sams are very good tires in all aspects, I prefer them to Smart Sams plus, But maybe for your needs, a gravel tire like the G-ONE ALLROUND (for extreme rolling) or a Marathon (Mondial? for better durability and protection) would be the perfect choice...

Last edited:
With the 2020 models from R&M you have the GX option, where you get a upgrade on bars and pedals. You will also get a tier "upgrade" from Big Ben Plus to Smart Sam Plus.

But if you use the bike on tarmac 5 days a week and on gravel 1 day a week, isn't the Big Ben Plus the best tier for that situation? Both has the puncture protection layer so it's only the grip that is the difference. Do I miss anything?

I’ve used the Super-Moto-X tires for two years which are perfect for your application. Comparing to the Big Ben Plus tire at Schwalbe’s site, the ratings appear to be very similar. The SM-X get 3.5 vs 3 for the Big Ben Plus for off-road applications, but I doubt that’s a deal-killer on gravel. Where these tires are not so hot are in mud or sand — I would hesitate only if you anticipate frequent muddy conditions.

The Smart Sam Plus has the identical tire construction of the Big Ben... Double defense green guard.

I would recommend the Smart Sam for Off-Road grip (4.5) and the Big Ben for On-Road grip (4.0).

Each tire is excellent and they are optimized for a specific purpose... trail or road riding. ;)

1568511881874.png

1566267608778.png

1566267538614.png

I run the Schwalbe Big Ben tire when I need a Super Moto-X tread pattern in a larger 700C/28"/29" wheel size.

1566268005636.png

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

Since this is a new bike (Multicharger) I can only choose between the Big Ben Plus and the Smart Sam Plus. I will think I will stick with the Big Ben Plus.

But what tier is best on a wet asphalt road?

Since this is a new bike (Multicharger) I can only choose between the Big Ben Plus and the Smart Sam Plus. I will think I will stick with the Big Ben Plus.

I’ve not had a problem with a similar tread pattern on a “lesser” tire (Big Apple). Where these tires don’t do well is when you sink into something like mud or sand. I’ve been fine on wet asphalt, with a bit more caution over dry, of course.

Could I suggest a third option? The new Moustache 2020 xroads are equipped with Hutchinson Python, 27.5x2.10. Those set of tires look like they could be used for both on-road and some off-road and dig into mild to medium mud/sand conditions when needed. Just wanted to put it out there.

Could I suggest a third option? The new Moustache 2020 xroads are equipped with Hutchinson Python, 27.5x2.10. Those set of tires look like they could be used for both on-road and some off-road and dig into mild to medium mud/sand conditions when needed. Just wanted to put it out there.

Thanks, not familiar with the tire but open-minded. I think many of us are stuck on the Schwalbe options bc it’s what R&M offers and the stellar puncture protection In many cases.

Since I live in a very hilly rainy area and like to ride trails where possible, my two cents are on the Smart Sam Plus . I have hung the stock Super Moto X in the garage and they are not going back on. But if you choose the Big Bens you could at some point buy a single Smart Sam for the front only and see how you like it There is no law that says you need the same tires on both wheels.

Last edited:

Agree...these Pythons are cross country tires, really similar to schwalbe's racing ray and racing ralph. Still thinking these kind of tires are fantastic and if you need more protection, like said, it is so simple to add a layer inside...

Coquitlam where I live gets a massive 1969 mm of rain per year . Oslo gets 740 mm , and the US average is 38 inches or 965 mm. That is why I hung up the Super Moto X. If I lived in Phoenix I bet I would hang up the Sams and use the Super Moto X.

If you want to maximize your flat protection you can add foam inserts. I use these.
1568644837849.png

I would definitely go with the Big Ben Plus for wet asphalt... the tread pattern will perform well on the road.

Last edited:
Back