Group Buy Opportunity

SuperTimmyH

Hi,
Newbie here. So my question is not appropriate here, please "indulge" me or just point me to the right place/website :).
I want to import an eMTB from China to NA. Where can I find a group-buy to join? Otherwise, can I initiate one? I have the means to arrange the shipment due to my work. Appreciated.

Hi,
Newbie here. So my question is not appropriate here, please "indulge" me or just point me to the right place/website :).
I want to import an eMTB from China to NA. Where can I find a group-buy to join? Otherwise, can I initiate one? I have the means to arrange the shipment due to my work. Appreciated.
Look at Aliexpress or Alibaba. You can order multiple units and if you spend enough $$, you can get a pricing break. Other than that, I will defer to the experts here at EBR...

With all the issues I've read about with direct purchases, total lack of customer support, and some eBike quality issues, I suggest caution in organizing a group buy. The Chinese factory will only want to deal with you when someone has trouble with a bike. That means you will be starting a business with all those other people talking to you and then holding you responsible when their eBike doesn't work. It could be a financial disaster for trying to save $500 on an eBike at the most. But knock yourself out if you like that sort of thing at your job.

Look at Aliexpress or Alibaba. You can order multiple units and if you spend enough $$, you can get a pricing break. Other than that, I will defer to the experts here at EBR...
I have already a couple of bikes I want to choose from. I do import other goods from time to time for my company's use. So I probably find the biker manufacturers and talk to them directly, since dealing with local manufacturers, custom, shipping should be an issue for me. Of course, if those local manufacturers sell directly to customers which I think most of them should do already.

With all the issues I've read about with direct purchases, total lack of customer support, and some eBike quality issues, I suggest caution in organizing a group buy. The Chinese factory will only want to deal with you when someone has trouble with a bike. That means you will be starting a business with all those other people talking to you and then holding you responsible when their eBike doesn't work. It could be a financial disaster for trying to save $500 on an eBike at the most. But knock yourself out if you like that sort of thing at your job.

Rich brings up a great point. Why do you want to do a group buy? Save a few bucks? Start a new business? Unless you are willing to go all in and have money to burn, find yourself your dream Ebike and just buy it and ride it. Then stay tuned to EBR and learn about Ebikes and hang out with us old farts!

That is a good point. I would rather just act as a forward if I need to arrange the group buy. Or if there is a group that provides a discount on shipping, I might just join.

Last edited:
Rich brings up a great point. Why do you want to do a group buy? Save a few bucks? Start a new business? Unless you are willing to go all in and have money to burn, find yourself your dream Ebike and just buy it and ride it. Then stay tuned to EBR and learn about Ebikes and hang out with us old farts!
Yes, mainly to save some bucks for a bike style I like. Frankly, those eMTBs with good style are expensive to buy directly. I found there are people even in this forum import bike and having a good experience. So I thought why I not doing it as I am already familiar with the shipping stuff.

Yes, mainly to save some bucks for a bike style I like. Frankly, those eMTBs with good style are expensive to buy directly. I found there are people even in this forum import bike and having a good experience. So I thought why I not doing it as I am already familiar with the shipping stuff.

Sounds like you would be a great candidate for a Frey group buy. I know they did it about a year ago, but with The Covid it seems it's catch as catch can for bike buying. I guess you would call it a sellers market...

Sounds like you would be a great candidate for a Frey group buy. I know they did it about a year ago, but with The Covid it seems it's catch as catch can for bike buying. I guess you would call it a sellers market...
Yes, their bikes look pretty sleek. I will contact them anyway.

Back