Grin Advanced Wheelbarrow kit and phaserunner software

hellobritt

Region
USA
Hi all (new member here),

I have installed the Grin Advanced wheelbarrow kit and had a few questions someone that uses their phaserunner suite might be able to answer. The number of magnetic pole pairs for this hub is 237. However, I can't configure the CA with any number larger than 99 (only takes two characters). Additionally, I have the USB-TTL cable, and thought to write the correct information to the controller via the phaserunner software. However, the software is only able to see the port, but not connect to the controller. I've tried the software on both linux ubuntu and windows 10. I am able to read and write to the controller via the cycle analyst setup utility (however, that software limits the number of poles to <= 99).

I really need to adjust the regen braking so that when I let of the throttle, the hub maintains a certain speed or lower while going downhill with a heavy load. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you

EDIT: I ran the linux appimage with regular permissions and sudo permissions with the same result...port recognized but controller not connected.

EDIT2: I am an idiot and finally realized I have to connect the USB-TTL cable directly to the controller jack.

Last edited:
You might get a good answer here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21

I have always liked the idea of a hub motor wheel barrow. I am not sure though if you will be able to dial in the regen enough for the resistance you are looking for? Also be aware that heavy regen use results in heat that can fry your wiring and/or controller......

Hi Hellobritt - Sounds like you have some experience with the Bafang wheelbarrow kit that Grin is selling. Did you ever resolve your setup questions?

Before ordering a kit I've tried to get answers on two questions but no response from Grin to my emailed questions:

1) Can you realistically still operate the geared hub without battery power (i.e. with no clutch is the gear resistance too much for unpowered use?)
2) What is the width of the hub between the axle flanges (my steel frame wheelbarrow is only 5 inches)

Do you think that the advanced's auto speed control is worth it for use on a hilly site or is the basic's separate throttle for power, throttle for braking sufficient?

Cheers - Graham

Can you realistically still operate the geared hub without battery power (i.e. with no clutch is the gear resistance too much for unpowered use?)
I’d consider a second wheelbarrow for unpowered use. The added resistance unpowered will definitely add resistance.

Thanks tomjasz - Just found the drawing buried deeper down on an expandable section of the product page - didn't have the hub face to face dimension, but I scaled it and is 4.776" which will fit my frame.

Grin is out of stock on some key components such as battery chargers and throttles etc. as well as the advanced controller option.

Still quite interested to see if in anyone's experience, if the advanced controller and programming cable are worth it. Sounds like an e-barrow is in our future as we have several tons of gravel to move for a concrete slab project.

Thanks!

Hi all (new member here),

I have installed the Grin Advanced wheelbarrow kit and had a few questions someone that uses their phaserunner suite might be able to answer. The number of magnetic pole pairs for this hub is 237. However, I can't configure the CA with any number larger than 99 (only takes two characters). Additionally, I have the USB-TTL cable, and thought to write the correct information to the controller via the phaserunner software. However, the software is only able to see the port, but not connect to the controller. I've tried the software on both linux ubuntu and windows 10. I am able to read and write to the controller via the cycle analyst setup utility (however, that software limits the number of poles to <= 99).

I really need to adjust the regen braking so that when I let of the throttle, the hub maintains a certain speed or lower while going downhill with a heavy load. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you

EDIT: I ran the linux appimage with regular permissions and sudo permissions with the same result...port recognized but controller not connected.

EDIT2: I am an idiot and finally realized I have to connect the USB-TTL cable directly to the controller jack.
Hi Hellobrit - Did you figure out best configuration? I see on the Bafang Wheelbarrow motor drawing that it has 8 actual Magnetic Pole pairs (239 effective) - does setting the CA to 8 make it work properly as expected?

Back