Greetings from the Fens!

twigletzone

Region
United Kingdom
Hello ebikers :)

I'm an ebiker-to-be in the lovely Cambridgeshire pancake. Looking to upgrade my cycle commute now I've moved further out of town. Currently the proud owner of two non-electric bikes (Ridgeback hybrid and a Tern folder) and will hopefully be collecting a second hand electric folder from a friend soon - she just needs to get over COVID ok first, poor thing.

Other interests include reading (anything I can get my hands on but particularly sci-fi and fantasy), fountain pens, and swing dance :)

Welcome to the site & the electric side of the hobby.
Having come across Varley's Steel Beach last year at a charity resale shop, I ordered Ophiuchi Hotline from ebay last week. Something new & different! For the long restful evenings after my 4 hour commute.

Not an author I'm familiar with - I'm currently reading through all sorts of paranormal PI trash thanks to Kindle Unlimited.

@twigletzone, Welcome! Try 'The Every'. It is super smart from Dave Eggers. That is if you like eggs. The book riffs on classic dystopian but takes it further and it is funny as hell. A laugh a page. It takes place 30 minutes into the future. Scary.

No internet at my summer camp.Cell phone service is 4G 1 bar & my screen is 3 cm wide. Paperbacks travel in my pannier bag.
Steel Beach won 93 Hugo award, worth a look. Sequel to Moon is a harsh Mistress , sort of.

Last edited:
No internet at my summer camp.Cell phone service is 1 bar & my screen is 3 cm wide. Paperbacks travel in my pannier bag.
Steel Beach won some awards, worth a look. Sequel to "Moon is a harsh Mistress" , sort of.
I wish I could go device-free for reading, but my appetite for fiction vastly exceeds my storage space for books and libraries never have the things I want. I made a pact with myself a year or three ago that the only physical books I buy are reference stuff like cookbooks and sewing manuals. I'd be able to build a house out of them otherwise.

I buy about one new book every 10 days or about 3 per month. I gave a bike basket to the local outdoor green grocer. I put them there. Now others are doing the same. I like to set books free into the world. I also donate a load of bike parts per week to Africa. I cannot afford to hoard. I just loaded a bike with $877 worth of new spare parts for electric bikes and will take them to The Thrifty Hippy to sell on eBay. I want $390 and to be rid of the clutter. These are things like spare wheel magnets and display remotes.

I buy about one new book every 10 days or about 3 per month. I gave a bike basket to the local outdoor green grocer. I put them there. Now others are doing the same. I like to set books free into the world. I also donate a load of bike parts per week to Africa. I cannot afford to hoard. I just loaded a bike with $877 worth of new spare parts for electric bikes and will take them to The Thrifty Hippy to sell on eBay. I want $390 and to be rid of the clutter. These are things like spare wheel magnets and display remotes.
I've been decluttering for years and I keep finding new stashes. Sadly most of the valuable stuff has already been sold so the reward to hassle ratio is dropping...

I found even more and may barter for stuff I want. @twigletzone, This is what my electric bikes can look like. This would fit in 1942 Cambridge, but it is fast.

Attachments

• UnionJack14.JPG
    UnionJack14.JPG
    823.1 KB · Views: 126
I found even more and may barter for stuff I want. @twigletzone, This is what my electric bikes can look like. This would fit in 1942 Cambridge, but it is fast.

It really would fit in 1942 wouldn't it! Retro seems popular round here, I do see a lot of those pastel-coloured cruisers with big wicker baskets when I'm in Cambridge. They're cute but panniers are way more practical for my purposes as a lot of the paths are bumpy enough that things just get thrown straight out of a basket.

Its a girl. The first and last are mid-drives.

Attachments

• BlushC785Nmi - Copy.JPG
    BlushC785Nmi - Copy.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 112
  • Pashley Princes.jpg
    Pashley Princes.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Toto01.JPG
    Toto01.JPG
    536.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Dutch02.JPG
    Dutch02.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 115
Pashley - those are the ones I keep seeing around Cambridge. Usually in mint green for some reason. I remain at a loss to understand why coming in a pretty colour makes a bike nicer to ride, but then you should see the state of the paintwork on my car...

Back