Greetings from Paso Robles, Ca

PasoPete

First of all, I'd like to express my thanks to Court for creating this most informative website. I am looking for my first e-bike and have learned a lot, and also hope at some point I can contribute to the forum.

Obviously, my first project is to find 'the right e-bike' in my price range that will do what I want it to do. My goal for the e-bike is purely recreational - drives thru neighborhoods, down to the lake, and occasional light mountain trails.

Looking forward to learning more.

Obviously, my first project is to find 'the right e-bike' in my price range that will do what I want it to do. My goal for the e-bike is purely recreational - drives thru neighborhoods, down to the lake, and occasional light mountain trails. Looking forward to learning more.
Hi Pete,
Good luck on your quest to find the right ebike for you, that should be fun. I recommend you visit the Pedego dealer in Avila Beach. They don't just sell Pedego, but Haibike and I'm sure others as well. They are very much enthusiast, and the young blonde haired guy I talked to was very helpful. Sorry I can't remember his name. I would imagine they have demos to try out.

Pete, what's your price point? That will help us whittle down the rather large number of ebikes available today (what a great problem to have :D)
Also, what's the terrain like where you'll be riding? Hilly, flat, mix, etc.

First of all, I'd like to express my thanks to Court for creating this most informative website. I am looking for my first e-bike and have learned a lot, and also hope at some point I can contribute to the forum.

Obviously, my first project is to find 'the right e-bike' in my price range that will do what I want it to do. My goal for the e-bike is purely recreational - drives thru neighborhoods, down to the lake, and occasional light mountain trails.

Looking forward to learning more.

Hi Pete, welcome!
I second that sentiment about Court. When I was still looking for an e-bike, I saw so many types of e-bikes on the internet that I got confused. Then I discovered EBR and it helped me focus my search. I decided early on that I wanted an ebike that looked just like a regular bike (or closest in form) and secondly, pedal assist only; no throttle. I narrowed down my choices based on these two main criteria. This may not be the best strategy for you or for a lot of other people but it worked for me. Lastly, pay a little bit more for what you feel you will thoroughly enjoy for a long time and you won't regret your decision.

Thx for the warm welcome. Lets see - riding area 'paved' but not flat, some grades to 10% some fire roads, and pack dirt trails. Nothing too radical for this guy. Don't need super distance battery. Price point - maybe 1600, unless I find something I gotta have (mid-drive?) I prefer an upright riding position, but like mountain bike concept. (would a geared cruiser hub drive work for my terrain? - Juiced has a nice looking cruiser) Neighbor has had a RadRover for awhile, and I am anxious to get his feedback after some riding time and in same riding terrain. Not yet sold on the fat=tire concept................is it hard to pedal w/no motor assistance>?Bottom line - lots of options. Not too many local dealers where I can find good independent reviews/info. Rad's communter looks too city-like for my preference.................so many choices..................So today - is it a relaxed mtn bike, a geared cruiser, a fat tire bike, do I really need a mid-drive....................etc. I do think I want throttle and pedal-assist. I am learning here, and have lots more to learn. And - am I taking too big a chance on a used bike ? I see a lot on CL' .............New bikes of interest at this point - Rad/Volt/Juiced.................tested a Pedego Intersecptor - nice but price point.............. Oh and yes - should I put a kit on my 25 year=old Schwinn Hi-Plains......................
decisions.........decisions......................

ok - after some further research and reasoning, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Ocean Current model from Juice Bikes. Overall, for me the cruiser-type bike was gonna be the best bet, and I liked what I read about other bikes from Juiced. They (yup the DW wanted one too) are on 'pre-order' with anticipated delivery the end of this month. I will post my observations/review, and probably some questions once they get here and we get some miles on them.
again - thx to Court and others on this site who were instrumental in helping me make a good informed decision.

Back