Greetings from a new member in...Zambia

Hi Indianajo, I contacted a large British company who make and supply wire cable to industry, and asked them if their 10mm stainless wire could be cut with an axe. They replied:
Hi Steve, This is not something we can help you with, our wire rope is designed for lifting, and not for the purpose you intend to use. Wire rope can be cut so we are unable to help you on this.

Here's an amazing video of a Zambian friend of mine who lives in the UK. He was guiding a group of English schoolchildren on a trip to Zambia when they were charged at high speed by an elephant, seemingly for no reason. His reactions were instant and courageous...when he walked back to the children you can hear their gasps of amazement and adoration! See:

Sorry this computer is too old to play video.
Next time I go to Home Depot store, I will take my 5 lb ax hammer and try to cut the 1/2" SS cable laying on the sidewalk in Clarksville. Part of an abandoned road sign installation. This $167 tool can do the job with a sledge hammer and a hard surface, But the average bike thief does not have one. https://www.mcmaster.com/38535A71
I am not as strong in the arms and chest as the average man. Most of my strength is in my legs.

@dino*67 I just want to say your photos and stories are incredible! Fascinating life you have out there.

and there's me just trying avoid dogs and squirrels! :p
Hi, My wife and I were both police officers in the UK and I took early retirement to come here in 1998. We set up a charitable trust to provide conservation education for local schoolchildren, plus sponsorship to school and university. Next year I'll have been 'retired' as long as I worked!
We also look after orphaned animals, anything from squirrels to antelope, monkeys, baboons, warthogs, buffalo, hippo, elephants, etc.. See www.chipembele.org.
I am also involved in anti-poaching work, stopping deforestation, etc, working alongside the Game Dept., the local Chief, etc.
I also find the time to go on one or two fossil expeditions each year, working with mostly American museums and universities. We have discovered many new species, and I have one named after me. It's a great life out here, not without its problems, but overall I'd far rather be here than the UK! Steve

Back