Great battery care article in new electric bike action magazine.

fxr3

Authored by RAVI! Good job Ravi?
I wonder if the neoprene jacket some put around frame to keep battery warm in winter would work like a beer can koozie to keep battery cooler during summer?

Hmmm quoting seems odd...

A properly sized battery will not get hot in normal use. If you have a battery that is getting quite hot please have it checked out or reviewed.

I don’t know if you’re referring to me quoting anything.
But, i’ll Quote autoblog-“ class action suit concerning battery degradation in Nissan leafs operating in hot climates has been settled”.

Authored by RAVI! Good job Ravi?
I wonder if the neoprene jacket some put around frame to keep battery warm in winter would work like a beer can koozie to keep battery cooler during summer?

Thank you, Barry!

The neoprene sleeve may not be good for summer usage as it restricts the air flow. Most E-bike batteries are air-cooled.
While most EV car batteries have liquid-cooling, there are still some that use air-cooling. The biggest gripe with Nissan leaf is that it uses air cooling and this renders the battery ineffective for long drives.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/16/2018-leaf-vs-long-journeys-can-it-take-the-heat/

I am working with one of the leading YouTube channels to make high-quality 3D animation video to show the intricate details of battery operation. I think that video would make a lot of sense as the battery industry is growing exponentially.

have a look at this video.. gives you fantastic insights into the workings of direct drive motors used in EVs.

But, i’ll Quote autoblog-“ class action suit concerning battery degradation in Nissan leafs operating in hot climates has been settled”.
I don't have an electric cage. Comparisons are perhaps not appropriate?

No, responding to mom. I'm here with eBike batteries. VBG

article is in physical magazine. April 2019. Call me crazy, but I prefer flipping pages over pushing buttons. It’s a worthwhile magazine to subscribe to.
Crazy, tree hugger here. Easier to search electronically. I used to subscribe, you reinspired me. Ravi is an interesting young man. He presents like a gentleman beyond his years. Reminds me of Micah Toll.

My garage gets quite hot in summer (~90 degrees F), and that's where I have to store and charge my bike (battery is not removable). Am I doing damage to my battery? I was thinking of putting the charger on a timer so it charges in the wee hours of the morning when it's cool.

My garage gets quite hot in summer (~90 degrees F), and that's where I have to store and charge my bike (battery is not removable). Am I doing damage to my battery? I was thinking of putting the charger on a timer so it charges in the wee hours of the morning when it's cool.

Hey Mike,
It's definitely better for your battery life if you can charge them at 65/70 'F instead of 90.
May be this guide can help you.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/e-bike-battery-guide.24443/

Small steps in taking care of your battery may result in longer life (4-5 years).

Let us know if you have any questions.

I use military ammo can latch closed but with the water seal gasket removed to store my battery and to charge when in my living space to keep cooler. It's never above 60F -70F, depending on the season. I'm always ultra cautious when a battery is in my living space. I have left my 36V battery on two bikes in the garage when it's gotten quite hot, but I still expect it to power my 36V bikes through their 5th season. IME with 10 of my own batteries and with several hundred customer batteries, charging at a 2A rate, and trying to stay between 80-90% charge level, will extend battery life quite well. While 90F is warmer than ideal, it's not as debilitating as some suggest. Sure there are ideal ranges, but charging at 2A and 80-90% charge levels may be more important. Mind I'm not saying that once over 90F for an extended time isn't debilitating. There are just some conditions that are hard to avid given the vagaries of weather and temperatures. Data indicates best storage temps to be beer temp, but having a spot for 45F storage is pretty much impossible. I think we sometimes worry a bit too much...

As always, YMMV!

I would like to read this bu the link is missing

This is the magazine: https://electricbikeaction.com/

I am trying to get them make it an open article and I will post the link once it is available.

One of the pages looks like this and the battery guide is a feature article for this issue.

EBA magazine.png

Thanks for your battery article Ravi. Haven't got to it yet, as I don't miss a word of Electric Bike Action Mag. Like William Shatner. I didn't even know he was such a horseman. Also KTM all in on e-bike motorcycles. EICMA news blew me away on whats happening in the E.U. with ebikes. My eyes were riveted to the write up on the Bulls dual battery MTB , WOW !! Sounds like the reviewers felt the same.

Might as well plug the magazine for those of us who didn't even know there is an Ebike magazine available. Ravi already posted the link, and I'm on my second year of subscription to it. I've let a few of my subs lapse over the years due to changing interests, and I thought after I bought my ebike I'd no longer have a proper need for this mag, but I was wrong.

It offers great maintenance articles, which we can always take advantage of to keep our bikes trail-ready, and also useful aftermarket hardware that is available - there's a very good helmet guide in the current issue. I was very happy to read the editors opening and see that Ravi was now a contributor to the mag - makes it even more worthwhile to me.

I continue to try and plug ebikes to friends and co-workers, but it can be a very hard sell with the prices that show up in the mags. The latest Bulls ebike featured in EBA offers up a mammoth 180mm suspension travel, and an equally mammoth price tag at (I think) $8,299 retail. I understand WHY it was a feature bike (Bulls is a major player, and they surely paid dearly to have it featured) but I enjoy reading more about a more sensible ebike around $2500 that will appeal to the masses more than the Bulls.

PS - who's up for a group ride with Shatner ??!! The stories that man could tell !!

Back