Got my new Explore E+1 GTS today!

it turns out it was something to do with the seat stem. I moved the seat slightly higher and aligned it properly and the creaking sound is gone. I tried it on a big steep hill today :)
Seat stem? Really? I can't see that it could make the sound.

I'm getting a noise also, probably what's being described as creaking. But I don't get it all the time... and I'm as sure as I can be that it's not the motor. I'm about to check the crank arms to make sure they are tight, but to me the noise seems almost to be coming from the front suspension. Seems to be more when I transition from less pedal torque to more. Guess that sounds more like crank arms. It's not really bothersome but I'd like to pin down where it's coming from and why.

it turns out it was something to do with the seat stem. I moved the seat slightly higher and aligned it properly and the creaking sound is gone. I tried it on a big steep hill today :)
I scoffed at your idea that it was the seat post, but...

I think you were right!!!! I tightened the bolt holding the seat and pushing down and twisting on the seat no longer makes a sound. And before tightening, it DID make a sound. I'd never thought of checking that because I was convinced the sound came from elsewhere.

The final verdict will be tonight on my commute home. But it's looking good.

Thank you!!!

I scoffed at your idea that it was the seat post, but...

I think you were right!!!! I tightened the bolt holding the seat and pushing down and twisting on the seat no longer makes a sound. And before tightening, it DID make a sound. I'd never thought of checking that because I was convinced the sound came from elsewhere.

The final verdict will be tonight on my commute home. But it's looking good.

Thank you!!!
How was your commute? Yeah I couldn’t believe it, at first I was so sure it’s got to do with the bottom bracket/crank...

Cheers

How was your commute? Yeah I couldn’t believe it, at first I was so sure it’s got to do with the bottom bracket/crank...

Cheers
You were right. It was the seat post. Tightening the part that holds the seat in the right position solved my "creaking" problem. I hadn't been overly concerned about the noise but I did find it annoying and couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

So, thanks very much!

You were right. It was the seat post. Tightening the part that holds the seat in the right position solved my "creaking" problem. I hadn't been overly concerned about the noise but I did find it annoying and couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

So, thanks very much!

it was super strange, I too never thought it was the seat post... anyhow, it save a trip to the giant store.

is the Giant Explore E 3 rack worth the investment? https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/explore-eplus-amiti-eplus-rack-2019

I have a MED world tour pannier based on the Rixen and Kaul Modul attachment system (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-625/World-Tour-30L-Pannier), and does anyone know if it's compatible with the Explore Rack? Based on the picture, it seems to be ok.
That pannier looks like it attaches the same way as my Ortleib panniers do, so yes, it would work. (MEC pannier, right? Not "MED")

I don't know if (and don't think that) you have any other real option for a rack that would fit perfectly. And I see it comes in three different sizes to match your bike's frame size.

My E+1 came with a rack and MIK deck. I'm less sold on the MIK part of it, but it's really not bad.

That pannier looks like it attaches the same way as my Ortleib panniers do, so yes, it would work. (MEC pannier, right? Not "MED")

I don't know if (and don't think that) you have any other real option for a rack that would fit perfectly. And I see it comes in three different sizes to match your bike's frame size.

My E+1 came with a rack and MIK deck. I'm less sold on the MIK part of it, but it's really not bad.

thanks! I want to get the fenders too, but it's currently out of stock.

I am looking at the Ontario ebike rule here (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles.shtml)

one of the rules: a permanent label from the manufacturer in both English and French stating that your e-bike conforms to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle

How do we get one from Giant for our Explore ebike?
My bike's at home and I'm at work (rib still not healed) but I think there was some kind of sticker on my bike, on the seat tube down by the bottom near the crank. I think it specified the class (1) of the bike. I'll take a closer look at it tonight. Do you have such a sticker on your bike?

I don't think it's our responsibility to find a sticker... any manufacturer selling bikes in Canada must meet the Federal requirements and thus they would put on any required labels to meet the law.

My Explore E+ 4 with factory fenders, rack and suspension post. This (4) is the only 2020 Explore E+ model available in the US. There's no chance the US will get the E+ (1 or 0 Pro) models but they look sweet,
1569680346001.png

My bike's at home and I'm at work (rib still not healed) but I think there was some kind of sticker on my bike, on the seat tube down by the bottom near the crank. I think it specified the class (1) of the bike. I'll take a closer look at it tonight. Do you have such a sticker on your bike?

I don't think it's our responsibility to find a sticker... any manufacturer selling bikes in Canada must meet the Federal requirements and thus they would put on any required labels to meet the law.

I am way, I will take a picture and show it to you. Basically, it has 3 stickers. M, i assume means medium because that's the size of my explore. and there there'a silver sticker with a number 3 on it, and the last one is from Giant Toronto basically saying the bike was purchased from their store.

I am way, I will take a picture and show it to you. Basically, it has 3 stickers. M, i assume means medium because that's the size of my explore. and there there'a silver sticker with a number 3 on it, and the last one is from Giant Toronto basically saying the bike was purchased from their store.
And if you're right that our bikes have no such (compliance) sticker, is it cause for worry for you? Again, I feel it's Giant's responsibility to follow the law as far as labeling in the countries their bikes are sold in. I can't imagine that WE the end users have to deal with that. I wonder if Ontario is unique in requiring such a label.

My Explore E+ 4 with factory fenders, rack and suspension post. This (4) is the only 2020 Explore E+ model available in the US. There's no chance the US will get the E+ (1 or 0 Pro) models but they look sweet,
View attachment 39188
Nice!

What's the suspension seat post you have there? I just installed a Kinekt post, but haven't been able to try it because of a broken rib (pain!). Is the battery 400 or 500w?

Yes, it's a real shame that North America isn't getting the E+ 1 or 0 Pro models. That's why I searched for a 2019 E+ 1 and so far I'm very happy with it.

When you say "factory fenders, rack and suspension post", are you saying your bike CAME with those options? Or that the dealer added them afterwards? From the US website it certainly doesn't look like that model comes with any of that. Or that it's even available as an optional extra. And it's a bit hard to tell from the photo but is the rack only attached to the bike is one spot? I don't see an arm from the rack going to the upper boss on the chain stay.

Are you going to add lights?

And if you're right that our bikes have no such (compliance) sticker, is it cause for worry for you? Again, I feel it's Giant's responsibility to follow the law as far as labeling in the countries their bikes are sold in. I can't imagine that WE the end users have to deal with that. I wonder if Ontario is unique in requiring such a label.

not really worry but was just wondering, u never know Duggie has in mind for Ontario, he might decides to enforce it strictly lol

Attachments

• 7DC65345-C27C-470E-AA92-FB7754CE107C.jpeg
    7DC65345-C27C-470E-AA92-FB7754CE107C.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 392
Back